feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 3, 2018 11:16:58 am
  • Those Kaluta Shadow covers are amazing works of art.
  • Posted: October 4, 2018 3:23:55 am
  • No argument from me on that.
    If I ever come across issue #4, it's going up on the wall too.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 4, 2018 3:32:16 am
  • It's time for some Halloween fun in Longbox Junk!

Let's get the party started with the DC Universe Halloween Special 2008. . .

LINK TO THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1659/longbox-junk-halloween-special-part-1

THE SHORT VERSION:

If I would have paid $5.99 + tax for this Halloween Special back in 2008, I would have definitely felt ripped off.  Out of nine stories, only 3 were good.  The rest felt like filler and artist showcases.  And even the few good entries weren't particularly scary or spooky in any way.  The only consistently good thing about this comic was the art, which was great on every entry.

If I had to describe this comic in one word, it would be: Disappointing.
    I expect more from something packing a 6 dollar price tag. 

Up Next. . .

13 more short Halloween stories in the DCU 2009 Halloween Special.

I'm posting these one shots separately because of the number of stories in each one. Over the month I'll also be posting the DC Universe Halloween Special from 2010, the DC Infinite Halloween Special, DC House of Horror and the Marvel Zombies Halloween Special. And a few other things too!

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 4, 2018 3:38:40 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 5, 2018 3:27:50 am
  • THIRTEEN Halloween stories in ONE comic!
    Continuing the Longbox Junk Halloween fun with the DCU 2009 Halloween Special.
    Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1660/longbox-junk-halloween-special-part-2

THE SHORT VERSION:

After my disappointment with the 2008 DCU Halloween Special, I was pleasantly surprised to find this one had some really good little stories in it. They aren't ALL good by any means. . .some of them were real wastes of perfectly good ink, paper, and time. But overall, I'd say that the 2009 Halloween Special is a much better read.

Is it worth the 6 bucks they were asking? no. With 4 good stories and 3 pretty good ones, that's STILL half the comic not stepping up to the plate. It's a decent piece of Longbox Junk if you can find it in a bargain bin, but definitely not for 6 dollars.

Up Next. . .

MORE DCU Halloween Special fun! This time with the 2010 issue. I saw an improvement between 2008 and 2009. Can DC keep it on an upward curve?

Be there or be square!

Last edited October 5, 2018 3:29:56 am
  • Posted: October 6, 2018 5:23:17 am
  • Step right up and get your Longbox Junk Halloween fun here, folks!
    The DC Universe Halloween Special 2010, reviewed for the low price of FREE!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1661/longbox-junk-halloween-special-one-shots-part-3

THE SHORT VERSION:

I liked it a lot when I saw this Halloween Special only had 6 stories. I thought that maybe with less stories, there would be less filler. And then when it started off with two great little stories in a row, I was like " YEAH!". But then the rest of the comic slid downhill fast and it was like getting a apple in my candy bucket.

At least DC only charged $4.99 + tax for this one. It's still about three bucks more than what it's worth for 2 good stories and some decent art. Pretty disappointing. I don't even want to read the next one.

Up Next. . .

How about I give the DC Halloween superhero anthologies a break (I still have 2 more to go) and continue the spooky fun with the comic sequel that nobody ever asked for to the unwanted sequel of a classic horror movie?

IDW's The Fly: Outbreak 5 issue mini OR (as I like to call it) The Fly III.

Wait. You didn't know there was a Fly II? SURPRISE!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: October 11, 2018 3:07:36 am
  • Getting off the Superhero Halloween Specials and on to some actual horror comics.

IDW's The Fly: Outbreak 5 issue mini. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1663/longbox-junk-halloween-special-the-fly-outbreak

THE SHORT VERSION:

I REALLY wanted to like it, but I'm having some love/hate for this series.

On the one hand, it's an incredibly dark and thoughtful exploration of science gone wrong. The ideas here are great and they are presented in a very cinematic style both in storytelling and in artwork. I also really like the unusual direction of this series being a true sequel to a practically-forgotten movie from almost 30 years ago.

I can easily see this as being an actual movie in the theaters because of the presentation of it. It's creepy, it's tense, and there's just a pervading feeling of darkness and desperation hanging over this story that I would love to see translated to the silver screen.

BUT. . .

On the other hand, once you hit the final two issues the story becomes a confusing mess that jumps around and refuses to follow anything already established in the previous three issues. It almost becomes a different story in a way. The ending is abrupt and provides no resolution to the story at hand before jumping right into the epilogue.

It still is cinematic, but not in a good way. It becomes like one of those movies such as. . .let's say, Batman Begins. It starts off great and ends up a mess of explosions and punching. That's what happened here. It starts OH so good, and ends up OH so bad.

Overall, like I said above, I'm half and half on recommending The Fly: Outbreak. I think it's definitely worth a read, but prepare to be extremely disappointed by the final two issues.

Up Next. . .

MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 11, 2018 3:12:43 am
  • Posted: October 12, 2018 2:38:11 am
  • It's a Longbox Junk Halloween Horror Comic Par-TAY this month! Dancing

Image's Creature From The Depths one shot. Check it out. . .

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1664/longbox-junk-halloween-creature-from-the-depths

Now THAT'S a sweet Halloween cover!

THE SHORT VERSION:

From the awesome cover to the extremely bleak ending, I enjoyed this one shot. It's a pretty simple story and has an ending that's a little too on the nose for me, but as far as a decent Lovecraft homage horror story with good (if a bit derivative) art goes, I can't ask for much more. Pick this one up if you can find it. It's a nice little piece of Longbox Junk.

Up Next. . .

Yep, MORE Halloween Longbox Junk fun!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 12, 2018 7:37:49 am
  • Posted: October 17, 2018 1:27:20 am
  • How about a Longbox Junk Halloween Retro Review!

Step back in time with me to 1969 as I take a look at Tower of Shadows #1. . .the comic that ended the love affair between Marvel and Jim Steranko. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1666/longbox-junk-halloween-retro-review-tower-of-shadows-1-1969

THE SHORT VERSION:

I sort of bought this comic by accident and never read it until now. . .and I have to say that I am glad I did. I learned about an interesting piece of comic book history AND I got to enjoy 3 good stories. . .two of which had some fantastic art.

For a Silver Age anthology title to get it right 3 for 3 without any reprints (Tower of Shadows has all original material) is an EXTREMELY strong effort in my book. The stories aren't perfect, but they aren't bad either. And like I said, two FANTASTIC artist showcase stories and one that's not bad at all makes for a one good looking comic.

Overall, I'd say that Marvel definitely hit it out of the park with Tower of Shadows and it's well worth a read. They say never to judge a book by the cover, meaning don't let a pretty cover fool you. But sometimes it goes the other way as well. . .under the utterly average cover of Tower of Shadows is one fine comic.

Up Next. . .

You guessed it, MORE Longbox Junk Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.

Last edited October 17, 2018 1:30:03 am
  • Posted: October 18, 2018 3:13:57 am
  • That's right. . .MORE Longbox Junk Halloween Comic fun!

Dynamite's Vampirella Halloween Special 2013. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1668/longbox-junk-halloween-vampirella-halloween-special-2013

THE SHORT VERSION:

I gave this comic a fair chance, even though I'm not a Vampirella fan. It failed on almost every level. The story is ridiculous, the characters are weak, and the art swerves from "pretty good" to sketchy and unfinished.

The whole thing shows a lack of effort and in my opinion was an insult to my comic fandom. It's comics like this that keep this great art form firmly in the realm of the juvenile in the minds of many. Unless you are a rabid Vampirella fan, I'd suggest you steer clear of this one.

Up Next. . .

Even MORE Halloween fun!

Be there or be square.
  • Posted: October 19, 2018 3:26:13 am
  • Finally! Some horror in a DC Horror Anthology!

DC House of Horror. . .Elseworlds and DC Zombies. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1669/longbox-junk-halloween-dc-house-of-horror

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, I have to say that I liked this DC Horror Anthology quite a bit more than the other three I reviewed earlier this month. With 4 stories out of 8 being good, 2 being pretty good, and 2 bad ones, the ratio of good to bad is a lot more what I'd expect out of a comic that DC had the guts to ask EIGHT DOLLARS for.

Value for cost aside, what I really liked about this issue was that there's actual HORROR in it. By taking this issue in an Elseworlds direction, the writers were free to run with some pretty brutal and dark stories. This comic is NOT for kids. There's some pretty twisted stuff in here. But if you're looking for some actual horror in a horror comic, this is a decent way to go.

It's not worth eight bucks, but it's worth a read if you can find it cheap.

Up Next. . .

This Halloween Party ain't over yet!

Be there or be square.
304 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 56 years, 131 days, 11 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Rebellion's 2000 A.D. Issue # 2170
  • Marvel Comics's Fantastic Four Issue # 602b
  • Neotek's Nau Headhunter Issue # 3
  • DC Comics's Suicide Squad Issue # 65