feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 7, 2018 1:53:13 pm
  • Great review and assessment of Kirby and his work. I can't agree more with what you've said, and I love the Planet of the Apes comparisons. Keep up the great work!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: September 7, 2018 3:30:02 pm
  • Great review.
    I always thought Kirby was influenced by the Planet of the Apes, heck even that first cover reminds me of the ending to Planet of the Apes.
    I read most of this series back in the early to mid 70's, so I was in that 8-10 years old. I used to have a pair of cutoff jean shorts (making sure they were good & frayed) and run around with no shirt and just trying to be Kamandi.
    Thanks for bringing back those memories atom. Applause

After posting I did a bit of searching and found this - http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Kirby

Last edited September 7, 2018 3:43:36 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: September 13, 2018 3:02:11 am
  • Finally finished up with Marvel's America. This one wasn't easy to get through, folks. Enjoy my pain and check it out!

LINK TO THE LONG VERSIONS:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1638/longbox-junk-america-part-2

THE SHORT VERSION:

Basically, here's all you need to know:

Overall, despite glowing reviews, America is one of the worst comic series I've ever read. It's basically a skeletal framework to hang the writer's extreme political and racial opinions on, backed up by wildly inconsistent art.

Up Next. . .

Not exactly sure, but I hope it's good.

I think maybe Alien Vs. Predator: Eternal. Picked up all 4 issues from a dollar box this past weekend and haven't read it yet.

Be there or be square

Last edited September 20, 2018 6:28:33 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 8:09:09 am
  • Atom, once again, your reviews, whether good or bad, are far more entertaining then the material you're telling us about. Someone needs to hire you and pay you good money for your dedication, spirit, and no-nonsense approach when it comes to comic book reviews. I think my favorite line you wrote is, "...break against my brain like waves on the shore of madness." You have a way with words that keep us coming back! Also, thanks once again for the warning. If I find any of these in my local shops quarter box, I'll save the quarters for something else!
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 8:32:35 am
  • Thanks for the kind words!

I do free reviews here to thank this great site for the wonderful and comprehensive service they offer, and I saw that reviews were something that was missing. I HAVE done full-time paid reviews of new comics, movies, and video games in the past on several well-known sites.

One of the reasons I got out of it was that I could see the changes coming that I rant about in the conclusion to the America review. It just makes me so mad to see that YEARS ago I was absolutely right about the future direction of (paid) pop culture criticism.

I probably shouldn't have even stuck my nose into America, to tell the truth. I'm sticking to older comics now, for the sake of my blood pressure.

Last edited September 13, 2018 8:38:40 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 20, 2018 6:32:55 am
  • Just figured out how to fix the America review so it isn't split into 5 different posts now. It doesn't make the series any better. . .it just makes my $hitty review of it easier to read. Enjoy?

Up next. . .

It's the prequel to Blade Runner and hard sci-fi homage to Spartacus mashup you never knew you wanted! BOOM! Studios' 4 issue "Insurrection v3.6" mini. Probably have it up tomorrow.

Be there or be square!

Last edited September 20, 2018 6:34:32 am
  • Posted: September 21, 2018 1:08:42 am
  • Just finished up with some pretty good hard sci-fi military action from BOOM! Studios tonight. Insurrection v3.6 4 issue mini. Check it out!

LINK TO THE LONG VERSION:

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1649/longbox-junk-insurrection-v36

THE SHORT VERSION:

What we have here is basically a hard sci-fi military comic heavily influenced by the story of Spartacus, with a decadent Earth dominated by rival corporations standing in for the Roman Empire and with disposable cyborg "auts" standing in for the doomed rebel slave army.

The question of "What is the worth of a man?" sits proudly at the center of this tale, just as it does in Spartacus. There is also a distinct whiff of the Blade Runner's escaped "Replicants" and the same question at the center of that classic movie as well. The first two issues read almost like a Blade Runner prequel of sorts. I've always sort of wondered about the circumstances of the Replicants and their escape when I've watched that movie.

Overall, if you are a fan of hard military-style science fiction that asks some questions about humanity, I can definitely recommend this mini if you can find it. The story is EXTREMELY well-worn and derivative of several sources and the artwork is on the good side of average (great painted covers though!), but it's worth a read.

Up Next. . .

One of my local comic shops just put out TWENTY dollar boxes! Shocked
    So much new Longbox Junk to choose from!

I'm trying to decide between some One Shots (I DO love the One Shots!) or the Alien vs. Predator: Eternal 4 issue mini. Got a very nice Moon Knight mini also. So hard to decide!

Be there or be square!

Last edited September 21, 2018 3:13:22 am
  • Posted: September 28, 2018 2:54:46 am
  • Just finished up with another find from a local comic shop that's dumping almost all their back issues for a buck each to make more room for Magic the Gathering tables.

I hate them for doing it. . .but love it at the same time. Neutral

Jack of Hearts 4 issue mini. Check it out!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1653/longbox-junk-jack-of-hearts

THE SHORT VERSION:

I came into this mini without any knowledge of Jack of Hearts at all, and truthfully, I wasn't very hopeful of finding much quality in a colorful mainstream Marvel superhero from the end of the Bronze Age.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find a pretty well-written and illustrated tale of heroic sacrifice and how people change when their survival is at stake.

Is it the best comic story I've ever read? No. But for what it is, I liked the story of Jack of Hearts. There are some color art issues through the series, some of the dialogue is overdramatic in a Bronze Age way, and there's a LOT of exposition in the first two issues. . .but if you are a fan of cosmic superheroes and stories that delve into moral issues, I can definitely recommend Jack of Hearts as a good read.

Up Next. . .

How about another Longbox Junk Retro Review?

Travel back in time with me to 1973 as I take a look at Michael Kaluta and Denny O'Neil's take on one of my favorite characters of all. . .The Shadow!

Be there or be square!

Last edited September 28, 2018 3:01:41 am
  • Posted: October 3, 2018 12:40:45 am
  • RETRO REVIEW!

Step back in time to 1973 with me and take a look at DC's The Shadow #1!

https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1657/retro-reviews-the-shadow-1

Strong contender for a spot in the top 10 best comic covers of all?

I vote YES! Very Happy

THE SHORT VERSION:

Overall, despite not being very friendly to new readers at all, I can easily say that for fans of The Shadow, this is a comic that MUST be in your collection.

It has a fairly simple story, but the obvious love of the character in both O'Neil's writing and Kaluta's art elevates this single issue into something great. From the fantastic cover to the final panel, The Shadow #1 is a true example of comics as art.

Up Next. . .

It's October, so how about some spooky fun?

Halloween one-shots! Be there or be square!
  • Posted: October 3, 2018 7:39:55 am
  • Atom, I really appreciate the long versions of your reviews, and liked seeing your framed issue. It's well worth my time to read whatever you write.
303 posts • Page 1 of 31
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 55 years, 247 days, 19 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Amigo Comics's Barbara The Barbarian Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Daredevil Issue # 18b
  • Self-Published's The New Baker Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's X-Men+Fantastic Four Issue # 2