feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 3, 2017 3:34:52 am
  • Just got done with another short mini. . .Marvel Noir: Iron Man

I really liked this one a lot. To me, it succeeded on all the points that First Wave failed on.
    Where First Wave tried to force familiar characters into contrived situations to get them all in one place, Marvel Noir focused on the characters first and let the story fit them. It was a really nice discovery lurking in a forgotten corner of my collection. I'd highly suggest this mini to anyone looking for a fun Elseworlds take on familiar Marvel characters.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1364/longbox-junk-marvel-noir-iron-man

Next up. . .I have no memory of buying or reading this 3 issue mini. I spotted it when I was putting Oracle: The Cure away and was like "What's this?". I have no idea what it's about, other than the cover tells me it's a war comic, it's British, and it's probably funny. Adventures in The Rifle Brigade: Operation Bollock!

Last edited January 3, 2017 3:36:08 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 4, 2017 2:11:43 am
  • Just got done with Vertigo's Adventures in the Rifle Brigade: Operation Bollock 3 issue mini.

Okay. . .this series is about a group of misfits and miscreants on a mission to recover Adolph Hitler's missing left testicle. It features a LOT of homosexual jokes, an elephant dying after humping an armored car into wreckage, a villainess named Gerta Gasch, and a nice picture of Hitler's lost ball eclipsing the earth from the light of the sun.

It's one of the silliest, most stupid things I've ever read and I loved every page of it. Not for kids or socially sensitive special snowflake types, but highly suggested for anyone else who wants a laugh.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1365/longbox-junk-adventures-in-the-rifle-brigade-operation-bollock

Up next. . .Marvel's 19 issue Winter Soldier run! I can't even remember if I liked it or not. I must have if I bought it for a year and a half. But then again. . .I can't remember a single thing about it except that it has Black Widow in it.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 6, 2017 4:32:57 am
  • Just got done with Marvel's 19 issue run of Winter Soldier.

All in all, I enjoyed this series until the end. The writing swerved a bit here and there and it fell victim to being a mainstream Marvel book and basically being expected to cross over and team up with other Marvel heroes, but the art was consistently fantastic and the stories were pretty gritty and grounded for the most part.

But it ended badly.

I'm going to go ahead and heartily suggest this series to anyone who is a fan of Black Widow or Winter Soldier, or wants to know more about them. But I'm also going to heartily suggest that the story ACTUALLY ends with issue #14. I have no idea what was going on with those final 5 issues, but it seems like a completely different book. Seriously. . .end it with #14.

LINKS:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1367/longbox-junk-winter-soldier-part-1-issues-1-9
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1368/longbox-junk-winter-soldier-part-2-issues-10-19

Coming next. . .

Hey, remember when one of Earth's greatest heroes was killed in front of the entire world? Then his old partner decided to maintain the legacy of his fallen mentor by taking up the uniform and name and carrying on his work? But what nobody knew was that the hero wasn't dead after all, but was trapped in time for. . .reasons. . .and was fighting his way back? Remember that?

Captain America? What? Him too? Naw. . .I'm talking about Batman!
    Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 6 issue mini.
  • Posted: January 9, 2017 3:43:28 am
  • Just got done with DC's 6 issue Batman: The Return Of Bruce Wayne mini.

Short Version: It's one of the top 5 worst modern Batman stories, in my humble opinion. . .and although I'm sure Grant Morrison is an awesome dinner guest, I'm not sure he's the right person to write Batman.

This mini is a convoluted mess filled to the brim with ridiculous coincidences, uneven characterization, and an over-reliance on previously-written stuff to the point that I needed reference material at hand just to know what was going on. . .especially in the 5th issue.

Why the hell do I need reference material to read a story about Batman trapped in time?

I have to hand it to Morrison. . .when he decides to write a bad story, he doesn't go halfway. He goes for the gold!

I wouldn't suggest this mini to anyone except hose who need the unwanted answer to the unasked question "What would happen if DC let an insane Englishman write one of the most popular comic book characters on earth?"

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1370/longbox-junk-batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne

Coming Next. . .

Hey, remember when one of Earth's greatest heroes was killed in front of the entire world? Then his old partner decided to maintain the legacy of his fallen mentor by taking up the uniform and name and carrying on his work? But what nobody knew was that the hero wasn't dead after all, but was trapped in time for. . .reasons. . .and was fighting his way back? Remember that?

Batman? Please, God. . .don't make me read it again! I'm talking about Captain America this time.

Captain America: Reborn!

• Posted: January 10, 2017 3:41:12 am
  • Just got done with Marvel's 6 issue Captain America: Reborn mini. . .

All in all, not bad for a mini-series I believe never should have existed, and a hell of a lot better than DC's effort at the same game with a different name, Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne. It had a strong start and a weak finish, but it was better than Batman's weak start and extremely weak finish.

Why did this series win (for the most part) where DC's failed? I'd say it was because they pretty much made Captain America a supporting character until the end. They focused on the other characters trying to find him and let his time-hopping focus on showcasing great moments in his history and the choice he made to not make changes instead of trying to cram Captain America into stories where he didn't belong.

It was actually pretty good until the end and all the giant robot punching. I was pleasantly surprised, especially after forcing my way through the mess that was Return of Bruce Wayne. If you have to read just ONE "Dead Hero Lost in Time" series in your lifetime, I would definitely suggest Captain America.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1371/longbox-junk-captain-america-reborn

Coming next. . .
    Remember when Image wanted SO bad to be Marvel? That's right. . .90's Image.
    Let's take a look at Image's version of The Punisher. Deathblow! The whole damn series.

Last edited January 10, 2017 3:42:39 am
  • Posted: January 18, 2017 2:22:19 am
  • Just finished Dark Horse's 2009 Alien 4 issue mini tonight. . .

Despite an over-reliance on the tried and true Alien franchise android ex machina coming through in every situation and an ending that leaves you hanging and wanting more (making this series seem more like a prologue to something else than a stand-alone tale) I really enjoyed this mini.

The art was outstanding in every way, on every page, and in every panel. The story kept me turning the page, even though the plot twists of the first couple issues took a back seat to action on the back half. I just wish this would have gone a couple more issues and given a more satisfying ending.

All things considered, both good and bad, I would definitely suggest this mini for anyone who likes the Aliens franchise. If you don't like the whole Aliens thing, this mini won't change your mind one bit.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1375/longbox-junk-aliens

Next up. . .it's 9 stories in 6 issues! Marvel's 2009 Astounding Tales!
  • Posted: January 19, 2017 6:05:22 am
  • Just finished up with Marvel's 2009 6 issue Astonishing Tales. . .

Overall, I really enjoyed this series. It introduced me to some new characters I'd never heard of, it had some great art, some laughs, and some great moments. Sure, it wasn't perfect. . .the Iron Man 2020 story belonged on the kiddie rack with the T.V. cartoon Avenger and Spider-Man comics, and some of the one-off stories were extremely forgettable. . .but all things considered, I'd still definitely suggest it. One thing though. It would probably be a better read in collected form with the separate stories put together instead of spread through 6 issues. Give this one a look if you've never read it.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1376/longbox-junk-astonishing-tales

Up next. . .
    Travel back in time with me to a long-forgotten age where the internet was in its infancy, there were no smart phones, and an unknown artist by the name of Alexander Ross was just starting out in comics. . .

NOW Comics Terminator: The Burning Earth!
  • Posted: January 20, 2017 3:49:34 am
  • Just got done with NOW Comic's 5 issue Terminator: The Burning Earth mini. . .

First, this isn't Alex Ross art. This is Alexander Ross art. It's like two completely different things.
    Overall, the series is decent, but not great. It starts off very strong and ends badly.

SPOILER: The human's entire hope of victory basically rests on two things: Turning off Skynet's power and shooting a computer monitor. Ah. . .those far off days of 1990 when people didn't understand the concept of "Backup Power Generators" and that just because you ruin a computer screen, that doesn't mean you ruin the computer itself.

Still, I'd suggest it. . .if only to see how far Alex Ross has come since then (It's a LONG way).

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1378/longbox-junk-terminator-the-burning-earth

Up next. . .Droppin' the F-Bombs! Vertigo's Weird War Tales!

Last edited March 24, 2017 3:47:21 am
  • Posted: January 23, 2017 3:48:50 am
  • Just finished up with Vertigo's 5 issue Weird War Tales tonight. . .

I liked the (somewhat) recent update of one of my favorite old comic series. Unfortunately, as with all things Vertigo, it's 1 part great to 2 parts crap, so it was a bit of a mixed bag. Not saying it was bad. . .I'd still suggest reading it. . .but the good taken with the bad makes for an average overall series. Reading this and Marvel's Astonishing Tales makes me think that it would be nice for the "Big Two" to revisit the idea of a new anthology series.

LINK:
    http://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1379/longbox-junk-weird-war-tales-vertigo

Coming next. I picked these up last month during a bargain basement shopping spree at a comic shop that was closing up. I have no idea what they're about except the covers are nice, they feature "Red Robin", they take place when everyone thought Batman was dead (But he was really hanging around with pirates and such, trapped in time), and they aren't worth a damn, as far as money value goes.

In other words. . .Longbox Junk! DC's World's Finest" 4 issue mini.

Last edited January 23, 2017 3:49:37 am
260 posts • Page 1 of 26
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 52 years, 302 days, 19 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Rosarium Publishing's Baaaad Muthaz Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Giant-Size Wolverine: Old Man Logan Giant Size # 1b
  • Vertigo's Lucifer Issue # 11
  • Marvel Comics's Magnificent Ms. Marvel Issue # 6
CBR.com member auction items ?