feature requests

Longbox Junk! (Comic Book Forums)

• Longbox Junk!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 6, 2017 7:49:16 am
  • Atom, I've been enjoying your blog very much since joining the forums. A large part of my collecting focus is on Aliens/Predator/Terminator and to some extent "bad girl" comics, books that are typically overlooked or just seen as inferior (to some), but you give every book a fair shot and an objective review. Thanks for sharing the longbox junk!

• Posted: October 6, 2017 8:31:06 am
  • I'm a big Alien/Predator fan myself and have a TON of Alien and Predator (and a bit of NOW Terminator, love the cover on that first issue!) Longbox Junk. As far as "bad girl" junk goes. . .You might see some Lady Rawhide in here soon, or for more recent "Bad Girl" stuff there's some Jennifer Blood just begging for a review. It's good AND bad at the same time!

Longbox Junk. . .because sometimes comics are worth more than money. Dancing

Last edited October 6, 2017 8:32:15 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 6, 2017 12:24:40 pm
  • I'll be keeping an eye for the Lady Rawhide review, I'm picturing a violent cowgirl, but I'll wait for the reveal. I'm still working on completing the NOW Terminator series, been hard to find (locally) and I'm trying to avoid just getting the whole set on ebay. You are 100% correct on the personal worth/value of a book being independent of cost. At this point the most I've ever spent on a single book is like $10, and it's not even my favorite one!

• Posted: October 19, 2017 2:27:52 am
  • Just finished with DC's Batman: Black and White 4 issue mini tonight.
    TWENTY stories in FOUR issues! Check it out. . .

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1469/longbox-junk-batman-black-white

Generally speaking, I found this mini to be worth the many praises that have been given to it over the years. Not everything was to my taste, but then again, that's sort of the point of anthologies. . .a little bit of everything for everyone. I'm still confused as to exactly WHY Batman: Black and White is Longbox Junk. . .but despite the lack of monetary value, there's a lot to like in here.

By restraining the creative teams to such a small space (each story is only 8 pages), they were forced to strip each entry down to the core. This makes the good entries shine like sparkly little bat-diamonds and the poor entries likewise exposed for the obvious turds they are. Fortunately, the good outweighs the bad.

Up next. . .

Let's examine a strange little moment in Dark Horse's Alien franchise. . .
    Aliens: Stronghold 4 issue mini.

Last edited October 19, 2017 2:30:11 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 21, 2017 5:20:47 pm
  • I'll have to keep my eye out for that Batman: Black and White!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: October 25, 2017 4:48:57 am
  • Just finished up with Dark Horse's 4 issue Aliens: Stronghold mini tonight. . .

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1473/longbox-junk-aliens-stronghold

If I had to describe these four issues in two words, they would be "Hot Mess".

The story was all over the place, starting off as an extremely derivative variation on the "Brilliant scientist goes mad from isolation and surrounds himself with completely obedient creations" theme, but liberally sprinkled with attempts at humor that fell flat. . .and then halfway through, the story took a sudden swerve into "KILL EVERYTHING THAT MOVES!" Action movie territory.

The art didn't help. It was just as uneven as the story. It started out in the first issue being good, then in the second it got worse, then in the third issue it became pretty bad, and finally ended up being pretty good in the last issue. Art swerving in quality like that is to be expected in longer series where creative teams get swapped in and out, but it's hard to understand in FOUR ISSUES.

Overall, this was NOT one of Dark Horse's better Aliens products. I can't really suggest it to anyone except diehard Alien fans such as myself who want to read and watch anything and everything with the Alien name attached to it. As far as anyone else goes. . .you can do better than this. Skip it.

Up Next. . .

Richard Corben. Edgar Allan Poe. How can this NOT be good?
    Marvel MAX's Haunt of Horror: Edgar Allen Poe 3 issue mini.
  • Posted: November 8, 2017 3:53:21 am
  • Just finished up with Marvel MAX's 3 issue Haunt of Horror: Edgar Allan Poe mini tonight.
    I'm thinking this would have made a nice Halloween entry, but hindsight, right? Whatchu gonna do? d'oh!

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1475/longbox-junk-haunt-of-horror-edgar-allan-poe

If you are a fan of Edgar Allan Poe, Richard Corben, Horror Comics, or any combination of those three things, do yourself a favor and find this mini-series. I'm not going to say it's ALL great, but there's a lot more to like than dislike in these three issues.

While some of Corben's interpretations of the source material are a bit off the mark, there's no denying that when he nails it, he nails it HARD. This is brutal, dark, and unrelentingly depressing horror and a fine little piece of Longbox Junk well worthy of your attention.

Up Next. . .

ONE SHOTS, BABY!

Aliens! Assasin! Batman! Predator! Conan!

One shots are like the Pu-Pu Platter of comic books. . .sweet little chunks of goodness. I love 'em!

Last edited November 17, 2017 3:30:09 am
  • Posted: November 17, 2017 3:19:21 am
  • Just got done readin' and reviewin' a handful of random one shots tonight. . .
    Here's the short and sweet version. Click the link for more.

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1481/longbox-junk-one-shots-aliens-the-assasin-batman-conan-predator

ALIENS: PIG

Overall, I really liked the story, but hated the art. I'd definitely suggest this one for the Alien completionists out there.

THE ASSASSIN

A great cover on this one!
    Overall, this is a book with great art and a nice presentation brought down by amateurish writing.

BATMAN: SEDUCTION OF THE GUN

WARNING: IF YOU ARE A BIG SUPPORTER OF GUN RIGHTS, THIS COMIC WILL MAKE YOUR HEAD EXPLODE.

Overall, this isn't a bad story, depending on your tolerance for anti-gun messages. It's too long and the 90's street lingo (one thug actually says "Word to your mother") is extremely dated, but it's well drawn and it's nice to see a Batman story where he doesn't win.

AGE OF CONAN: HYBORIAN ADVENTURES

This cover is definitely frame-worthy!

Overall, for a giveaway video game tie-in comic, this one shot delivers the goods. It has two decent stories and a fantastic cover. What else could you possibly want for free?

And last, but not least. . .

PREDATOR: JUNGLE TALES

Overall, I highly suggest this one shot to Predator fans that might have missed either of these stories in their original publication in Dark Horse Comics.

All in all, I say not a bad little handful of one shots! I'd say the best of the bunch was probably Predator: Jungle Tales. None of them were really BAD, but if I had to pick one for the bottom of the list, it would probably be The Assassin for its weak story and amateurish writing. But to tell the truth, it wasn't THAT bad.

Up next. . .

Hey, remember LAST time Marvel brought back the original Captain America in his original costume and went back to original numbering because fans didn't like the swerve they took the character on and they felt a course correction back to a more traditional Captain America was called for? Here's one of the small handful of mini's Marvel put out to say "No, Really! It's the REAL Cap now! We promise!"

Oh how comic history repeats. . .

Captain America & Iron Man 3 issue mini.

Last edited November 22, 2017 1:27:46 am
  • Posted: November 22, 2017 3:37:23 am
  • Just finished reading the Captain America and Iron Man 3 issue mini tonight. . .

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1483/longbox-junk-captain-america-and-iron-man

All in all, this mini was okay, but not much better than okay. If you like a lot of fighting with a little story instead of the other way around, then you'll probably like this more than I did. The writing is brisk and I blew through all three issues in about 30 minutes. The art was surprisingly good throughout. For what it is, this is a pretty inoffensive and by the numbers mini. A Captain America team up book running alongside a regular solo series was a solid idea, but with extremely average and mostly-forgettable efforts like this one, it's no big surprise that it didn't last very long. It just seems like they weren't trying very hard.

Up next. . .

Zombies! Nazis! ZOMBIES!

Mother Russia 3 issue mini.

Last edited November 22, 2017 3:47:08 am
  • Posted: November 29, 2017 2:45:53 am
  • Just finished up with Alterna Comics' 3 issue Mother Russia mini tonight. . .

Spotted it sitting lonely on the LCS shelf for a measly $1.50 per issue!
    THREE new comics for a total of $4.50? How could I pass that up? Check it out!

LINK:
    https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1487/longbox-junk-mother-russia

I'd definitely say I got my money's worth on this three issue mini.

I've never heard of Jeff McComsey before, but this series was pretty much a one-man show, with him wearing all the hats. His art was cartoony, but detailed. It reminds me a bit of Paul Pope and the overall impression I got reading these issues was that it was very cinematic. . .this series could be easily translated to the screen. There's an economy of dialogue and a fluid motion to the art that makes me want to look for more work by McComsey.

But be warned. . .that economy of dialogue (except in the second issue) leads to an EXTREMELY fast reading experience. It literally took me only about 20 minutes to read all three issues. There's no character developement to speak of and the fantastic art occasionaly fails, looking sketchy and unfinished in random panels. . .but those are small complaints.

Overall, I'd say that Mother Russia is a nice little gem, and I highly suggest it if you come across it.

Up next. . .

How about we tip a sacred cow?

Batman: A Death In The Family.

Yeah, yeah. . .I know. It's 4 issues in the middle of an ongoing run, but at this point, it's pretty much considered as a separate story when anybody talks about it.

Last edited November 29, 2017 2:47:36 am
480 posts • Page 1 of 48
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 9
  • Skybound's Cobra Commander Issue # 4d
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Made in Abyss Soft Cover # 12
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 503b