feature requests

Amazing Spiderman Completists May/June 2016 (Comic Book Forums)

Author Amazing Spiderman Completists May/June 2016
Posted: May 21, 2016 6:03:09 pm
Just wondering who is still trying to grab them all.

Anyone here left?
Posted: May 22, 2016 11:47:40 am
Embarassed me
Posted: May 22, 2016 1:46:06 pm
Awesome. We need to continue to keep track of the store variants. ComicExposure had one recently(thank you Joe for the heads up on that one).
Cant believe I do this for Spidey AND Bats! Sheesh!
Posted: May 22, 2016 3:01:06 pm
You are welcome. Does anyone have a ASM 667 Del Otto for sale?

Posted: May 30, 2016 11:48:14 am
I'm still in the hunt as well. Appreciating this break in variants though after the onslaught that was '14 & '15

Wish I could help you out, Joe. There's one on eBay for $6,000 obo... Shocked

I'm still seeking someone willing to sell/trade for ASM 678. Probably falling on deaf ears, but I've got quite a few nice rare doubles for anyone interested, including some that have shot up lately like that ASM 688 Campbell. I'd make you a great deal too.
Posted: May 30, 2016 9:57:47 pm
If you are not too picky about what to use for a placeholder, there are foreign variants that have the 667 and 678 covers.

The Mexican 678 is nearly identical to the US version, the logo is in English. The Italian 667 is a little different due to the title being in Italian. Both can be purchased for a fraction of the US version.

Posted: May 31, 2016 8:32:41 am
I'm still buying them as well. No where near hard core like I used to be.
Posted: June 6, 2016 5:25:20 pm
2014/2015 were insane. I also remember the insanity of the 666 store variant craze. My god, what was I thinking going after all of them!!!!!!
Posted: June 6, 2016 5:48:43 pm
With the Alex Ross covers that have been coming out since the relaunch, it really brings me back to the way that the early Spidey covers have that dynamic appeal. Honestly, they're better than any of the variants thus far, imo.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Volume 4 will continue until we get to about issue 40, when there will be some big reveal/change/(whatever Slott pulls out of his...) and we go back some abomination of the numbering system to get us to issue 800, similar to what led up to 500.

@Joe, unfortunately I'm a stickler for detail... elsewise I wouldn't be on this thread, haha. In the end, I'll probably end up selling my doubles and using that to go towards a ridiculously overpriced 678. Darn this completist vein!!! Because seriously... it's not that great of a cover, and there's so many NM CGC copies that the long term value just isn't there. It's just the source reference and the fact that anything Venom seems to sell for triple what they should be worth.
Posted: June 11, 2016 8:08:57 pm
fungineer said:
With the Alex Ross covers that have been coming out since the relaunch, it really brings me back to the way that the early Spidey covers have that dynamic appeal. Honestly, they're better than any of the variants thus far, imo.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Volume 4 will continue until we get to about issue 40, when there will be some big reveal/change/(whatever Slott pulls out of his...) and we go back some abomination of the numbering system to get us to issue 800, similar to what led up to 500.

@Joe, unfortunately I'm a stickler for detail... elsewise I wouldn't be on this thread, haha. In the end, I'll probably end up selling my doubles and using that to go towards a ridiculously overpriced 678. Darn this completist vein!!! Because seriously... it's not that great of a cover, and there's so many NM CGC copies that the long term value just isn't there. It's just the source reference and the fact that anything Venom seems to sell for triple what they should be worth.

IF (And that is a BIG IF) Marvel decides to revert to the original volume #1 numbering I actually now believe they begin at 701 and none of the Superior OR 2014 & '15 (volumes 3 & 4 to us) will count...

Fungineer,

What issues are you missing? Do you have the 667 Dell'Otto and ALL the 666's?
Posted: June 16, 2016 12:54:36 pm
Amazing Spider-Man #15 'Iron Jane' J. Scott Campbell Store EXCLUSIVE Cover

https://jscottcampbell.com/products/amazing-spider-man-15-iron-jane-j-scott-campbell-store-exclusive-cover?utm_source=J+Scott+Campbell+VIP+List&utm_campaign=4ea227215f-Amazing_Spider_Man_15_Iron_Jane_6_15_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f4d484a325-4ea227215f-285185237&mc_cid=4ea227215f&mc_eid=3ffd8132ef&variant=20476042564
Posted: June 18, 2016 7:59:46 am
OK, so I missed these. Does anyone have an extra set (Unsigned). I would pay an additional $15 over the J Scott Campbell pricing and would cover shipping.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Posted: June 18, 2016 8:18:47 am
ASM #15 doesn't come out til 7/6. I think you have time.
Posted: June 18, 2016 11:41:53 am
The JSC variant is sold out.
Posted: June 18, 2016 12:00:59 pm
My bad. I wasn't on the site as of late. Embarassed
Posted: June 21, 2016 4:24:09 pm
Just found you guys again, still collecting lol! The aspen variants are going for amazing amounts on ebay, does anyone know if they are actually sold out or are they holding back for sdcc?? 1500/3000 copies seems a bit early to sell out??
Posted: June 21, 2016 4:38:29 pm
They are crazy priced on ebay for the ASM 15 variant.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAmazing-Spider-Man-15-Aspen-Michael-Turner-Color-Sketch-Variant-Pre-Sale-%2F272281603430%3Fhash%3Ditem3f653f8d66%3Ag%3ApEEAAOSwMNxXaZOq

Posted: June 21, 2016 4:40:15 pm
stpck2001 said:
Just found you guys again, still collecting lol! The aspen variants are going for amazing amounts on ebay, does anyone know if they are actually sold out or are they holding back for sdcc?? 1500/3000 copies seems a bit early to sell out??
Damn, just found out about this one. It's saying "out of stock" and not sold out like the Batman one so maybe more will be released? Man, I hope so.
Posted: June 21, 2016 4:44:53 pm
Too rich for me. I'd rather have a vg+ or better silver age for that money.
Posted: June 22, 2016 2:42:53 pm
Aspens Facebook is showing these variants as sold out now (within 24 hours!) :-( there are lots now on ebay, think it will be a waiting game like the gamestop variants! These started off at over $150 before settling down to a reasonable amount!

Last edited June 22, 2016 5:33:57 pm
Posted: June 23, 2016 1:30:58 am
stpck2001 said:
Aspens Facebook is showing these variants as sold out now (within 24 hours!) :-( there are lots now on ebay, think it will be a waiting game like the gamestop variants! These started off at over $150 before settling down to a reasonable amount!

Anyone fool enough to pay those prices has too much money or just doesn't know anything about comics. Comics with print runs of 3,000 = $30.00 comics. I am out of the game and just buy one copy of Amazing Spider-Man. If there are multiple variant copies, I just buy the one that appeals to me the most. So far, it's mainly been the Alex Ross covers but a couple of the Dell'Otto ones re: "Volume 4". Very happy to state that I don't have any regrets and my pocket book is thanking me.Very Happy. Oh, as an aside, you will notice that all variant issues issued after ASM # 700 have not had any significant investment appreciation so if that's your motivation then you should buy high grade Silver Age instead.Applause tangledwebs has the right idea.
tangledwebs said:
Posted: June 23, 2016 10:31:34 am
I actually called the Aspen store. Turns out the Turner variant sold out in 4 hours. Compare that to the Batman turner variant which sold out in 25 hours. They were completely caught off guard and the demand crashed their servers.

Prices on ebay have been dropping around $10.00 a day and these will probably level off in the secondary at perhaps $75.00 a set although Turner variants have usually had high demand.

As far as appreciation value, the age old adage applies as others have said. Collect not to make money but because you enjoy what you are collecting. I am surprised by this though. This has to be a speculator frenzy.
Posted: June 25, 2016 10:50:51 pm
Does anyone have a lead or know someone who purchased the J Scott Campbell ASM #15 variant set and would be willing to sell?

Please send me a PM or post on this thread.

Thank you!
Posted: June 26, 2016 11:05:59 am
More of the Turner covers are going to be available at SDCC so I'm going to wait until then to look for it on Ebay.
Posted: June 28, 2016 10:47:07 pm
I've stayed out of the forums for awhile as the original Amazing Spider-man completists thread hadn't been touched in awhile....glad to see others out there still share my affliction.

Any history on the Turner variants? When did he originally draw these?
Posted: June 29, 2016 11:41:59 am
tdavignon said:
I've stayed out of the forums for awhile as the original Amazing Spider-man completists thread hadn't been touched in awhile....glad to see others out there still share my affliction.

Any history on the Turner variants? When did he originally draw these?

Aspen store just did a Turner Justice League #1 cover as well. I cant tell if this was just art that was never published or more then likely, existing images that were already used in other issues were "lifted" for these covers. No wrong or inappropriate answers here but I am sure some Turner aficionados will know. I can tell you that the Turner books all sold out at the Aspen store (with the sketch being the first to go very quickly) unfortunately, it seems more to be to those ebayers and speculators who are buying multiple copies and then immediately selling them back on ebay at 300-500% profit. I can tell you that the Batman turner cover is probably one of my favorite covers of the new Batman relaunch.
Posted: June 29, 2016 2:35:58 pm
I tried to order the Turner Justice League variant. I logged on exactly at 9 AM PST and when I picked the shipping info it showed it as sold out. I believe the speculators are driving this.
Posted: June 30, 2016 8:39:20 pm
Agree based on how fast these are selling. Print runs are not that small and prices on ebay are dropping after 2-3 days.
Posted: July 2, 2016 9:34:08 am
I am actually surprised. I am not seeing the hordes of Amazing Spiderman variants this year and at cons like the past several years. Perhaps that is becuase of DCs rebirth of which variants are all over(see Harley, Batman Justice League) and of course Deadpool is all the rage now at Marvel. But wondering if there are any thoughts as to why? In days past, you could almost bank on a Amazing spidey variant at every con.
Posted: July 2, 2016 10:10:48 am
They're there. But it's mainly just the cheap who cares but the completists ones. A rare or more valuable one will pop up, but they'll be over guide and sometimes over a realistic price as well.
Posted: July 2, 2016 12:00:11 pm
My two pence spider sense is that their will be a variant push later this year with the Dead No More/Clone Conspiracy timeline. NYCC should have something stewing. I'm preparing myself emotionally to hate Slott again with this storyline, if it pans out anything like the 90's clone abortions, but you never know.

The Spider-Women story line variants were pretty cool too, although I'm a biased fan of Stacey Lee's work for Silk.

Tough love on the past two weeks though for those ASM 15 variants. I took a two hour lunch and worked late after the 9am disaster at Aspen just to sit there and refresh 700 times and it paid off, able to nab the one set, which is what they were limiting it to by that time.

@Lizard, the 678 is the only modern I'm missing.
Posted: July 5, 2016 6:58:34 pm
Hi fungineer,

Congrats on owning the 667 Dell'Otto...that is a tough one. As for NYCC... I really can only see Comicxposure variant for that show and they're a dime a dozen.
Posted: July 6, 2016 9:25:50 am
Which brings up an interesting point. Are any of he store exclusives worth anything? Think about any title, any exclusive. I know people are selling or have sold the spidey 666 set but that is a different situation. just wondering if store exclusives ever seem to be sought after months or years later.
Posted: July 6, 2016 9:37:36 am
I'm not one to seek them. I have a few I got from a con or two and the midtown exclusive. I will not go out of my way or pay top dollar for one. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay IMO. I give credit to all those who have the complete set or close to it. That's allot of work.
Posted: July 6, 2016 9:53:51 am
I have found it is very rare for a store exclusive to increase in price after its release. I think a few of the J Scott Campbell ASM issues have gone up but I can't think of any others.

Posted: July 11, 2016 9:02:38 am
stormraider said:
stpck2001 said:

Anyone fool enough to pay those prices has too much money or just doesn't know anything about comics. Comics with print runs of 3,000 = $30.00 comics. I am out of the game and just buy one copy of Amazing Spider-Man. If there are multiple variant copies, I just buy the one that appeals to me the most. So far, it's mainly been the Alex Ross covers but a couple of the Dell'Otto ones re: "Volume 4". Very happy to state that I don't have any regrets and my pocket book is thanking me.Very Happy. Oh, as an aside, you will notice that all variant issues issued after ASM # 700 have not had any significant investment appreciation so if that's your motivation then you should buy high grade Silver Age instead.Applause tangledwebs has the right idea.
tangledwebs said:

I agree, I quit trying to get all the covers because this reason. The money you put in will never come out unless you find the one person in the world willing to pay for all those variants. In other words, a full set of #1-700 vs. #1-700 with all covers, the price difference wouldn't be enough to recover all your funds if you bought all the variants.

So then it was just "Well I can say I have them all, that's an accomplishment". Well in the days of the internet, that's not even that big of a deal anymore. If you have money, you can pretty much buy any comic you want. So it's not even much of a brag piece anymore [with some exceptions, I know the 666 and a few others are hard to find still].

So with all that in mind, I quit. I sold my #667 Del'Otto for $800 and don't regret a thing, especially since I picked it up for $70.

Last edited July 11, 2016 9:03:42 am
Posted: July 12, 2016 11:40:55 am
Got my email saying my Campbell covers for #15 have shipped. Sweet!
Posted: July 13, 2016 7:49:16 pm
Abysslord said:
stormraider said:
stpck2001 said:

tangledwebs said:

I agree, I quit trying to get all the covers because this reason. The money you put in will never come out unless you find the one person in the world willing to pay for all those variants. In other words, a full set of #1-700 vs. #1-700 with all covers, the price difference wouldn't be enough to recover all your funds if you bought all the variants.

So then it was just "Well I can say I have them all, that's an accomplishment". Well in the days of the internet, that's not even that big of a deal anymore. If you have money, you can pretty much buy any comic you want. So it's not even much of a brag piece anymore [with some exceptions, I know the 666 and a few others are hard to find still].

So with all that in mind, I quit. I sold my #667 Del'Otto for $800 and don't regret a thing, especially since I picked it up for $70.

It all depends on how "much" you spend on the variant. In your 667 Dell'Otto example, it was more than worth buying the variant cover. I used to "compare" myself to others in the hobby, but honestly I find that simply petty. Also, if you have a lot of $$ and can afford anything you want then that's great...I'm sure you have earned it OR even "if" born into $$ the world has always had a huge economic difference.

Me personally, I sold all of my comics except Spidey titles so collecting every cover is a lot more affordable. When that day comes where I walk away from collecting all together, I will choose to look back at these years of my life with fond memories moving to the next chapter. Nuff Said,
Posted: July 14, 2016 10:36:24 pm
LovetheLizard said:

It all depends on how "much" you spend on the variant. ,

Yes, individually for that comic. I mean if you add up all the money you spent on ALL the variants, say it's X, you probably can't sell your complete run plus the variants for "complete set price + X". So then it's just a personal collection thing which is fine, I just stated the reasons I dropped out.

Especially since I'm missing a lot below #100 still. I'd rather spend my money filling those in first.
Posted: July 22, 2016 4:03:20 pm
Looks like issue #15 has 5 variants of which 4 out of 5 are not cheap if you missed them. The Death of X Marvel variant is only a few dollars but both Aspen Michael Turner(color and Sketch) and the J Scott Campbell (color and sketch) could cost a few dollars.

Turner cover is very nice.
Posted: July 23, 2016 1:38:09 pm
tangledwebs said:
I'm not one to seek them. I have a few I got from a con or two and the midtown exclusive. I will not go out of my way or pay top dollar for one. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay IMO. I give credit to all those who have the complete set or close to it. That's allot of work.

Actually, it's no work at all. Just have to have the money and the willingness to do it. For example, $8,000.00 gets you a complete set of ASM # 666 on Ebay right now. As many have said before, it's about having the money.
Posted: July 25, 2016 6:58:48 am
But you're still paying top dollar which I won't do.
If I had $8 grand to blow, it wouldn't be on that. It's just a hobby to me, not a mission.
Posted: July 25, 2016 2:02:45 pm
stormraider said:
tangledwebs said:

Actually, it's no work at all. Just have to have the money and the willingness to do it. For example, $8,000.00 gets you a complete set of ASM # 666 on Ebay right now. As many have said before, it's about having the money.

tangledwebs said:
But you're still paying top dollar which I won't do.If I had $8 grand to blow, it wouldn't be on that. It's just a hobby to me, not a mission.

Whoa. Hold your horses. The price has been lowered 10%. Now only $7,200.00. Yeah. Good Luck with that ! If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd buy a nice copy of ASM # 1 (Vol. 1, of course).
Posted: August 3, 2016 7:15:34 pm
AMAZING SPIDERMAN 16 V4 COMICXPOSURE sketch and color.

August 10th availability. Sold out at Comicxposure

I actually missed this one!!!!!!!!
Posted: August 6, 2016 7:20:53 pm
mark71517 said:
AMAZING SPIDERMAN 16 V4 COMICXPOSURE sketch and color.

August 10th availability. Sold out at Comicxposure

I actually missed this one!!!!!!!!

I would not worry yourself Mark on this one. After release eBay will be flooded and I'm sure they will be selling them at NYCC which I'm attending. I actually ordered mine the day it went on sale after seeing the posting on FaceBook...

I also read that issue #18 will have at least 5 Marvel variants, not sure about stores yet.
Posted: August 7, 2016 8:02:00 am
Still trying to find some info on this one. Let me know what you are finding out!
Posted: August 7, 2016 9:53:09 am
Anything (store exclusives) for 17?
Posted: August 8, 2016 7:40:20 pm
New this week:

MAY169013 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #15 ALEX ROSS 2ND PTG VAR $3.99
JUN160844 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16 BDNM $3.99

Posted: August 19, 2016 10:29:53 am
Amazing Spider-Man 16 Funko variant.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAmazing-SPIDER-MAN-Marvel-Collector-Corps-Funko-Comic-Book-Exclusive-16-Variant%2F122091564602%3F_trksid%3Dp2047675.c100005.m1851%26_trkparms%3Daid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D38638%2526meid%253D980570cb04e14f039a544f4e6cc2efbd%2526pid%253D100005%2526rk%253D1%2526rkt%253D6%2526sd%253D182248836876

Posted: August 28, 2016 11:21:16 pm
Looks like there will be a Stan Lee Collectibles Fan Expo color and sketch for issue 17.

If anyone has a connection here, let me know!
Posted: September 8, 2016 5:49:48 pm
Today I was in a used movie/CD store and I noticed they had a stack of Spider-Man 2.1 dvds. I opened all of the cases and found that one of them had the Amazing Spider-Man #4 reprint in it. I was pretty stoked because I had been looking for that thing for a while. I bought the DVD for $5.99. When I got home I decided to check the price here and was baffled by the $4.00 price tag on it. For some reason I thought that issue was rare and went for big money. Am I just making stuff up or is there a different DVD exclusive comic that is worth some money?
"You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
Posted: September 8, 2016 8:35:22 pm
i know that there are multiple spider man movie insert comics...as for the one you are referring to i am not sure...but there were multiple that ive added...unfortunately it may have been years ago now...sry.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FMARVEL-SPIDER-MAN-2-SPECIAL-EDITION-DVD-W-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-300-MINI-VARIANT-%2F141060755152%3Fhash%3Ditem20d7e04ed0%3Am%3Amjl9_rTnVEkg5cCiXXG5-Ug

this may be the one you are referring to but as of right now the site has it at $10...i will double check the pricing now and adjust according

Last edited September 8, 2016 8:42:01 pm
Doom Pulls the Strings!

Posted: September 8, 2016 10:06:45 pm
AmZoMBiE, I think the one labria4 is referring to is this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAMAZING-SPIDERMAN-4-RARE-MINI-COMIC-GIVEAWAY-PROMO-VARIANT-2ND-PRINT-DVD-NM-%2F201100406062%3Fhash%3Ditem2ed284ad2e%3Ag%3Ap%7EgAAOxygPtS1Fx5

and it's also listed here:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAmazing-Spider-Man-1963-1st-Series-Mini-Comic-DVD-Promo-4-VF-7-5%2F311675314497%3F_trksid%3Dp2047675.c100005.m1851%26_trkparms%3Daid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20131003132420%2526meid%253Dd489f487fa0d42e890b430375f563341%2526pid%253D100005%2526rk%253D1%2526rkt%253D6%2526sd%253D201100406062

While the second one listed at $290 is crazy, I feel like even the $95 is a bit high. It is a rare find though, and if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't with every copy of the Spider-Man 2.1, only the ones offered as a Target exclusive. Nice pull for $5.99!
Posted: September 8, 2016 10:12:50 pm
ok...wasnt really sure lol...ive added many issues to the site, dont remember any of em lol

and that 2nd one is mycomicshop...they are usually really high on their prices

Last edited September 8, 2016 10:14:26 pm
Doom Pulls the Strings!

Posted: September 8, 2016 10:33:42 pm
Wow, the first one just sold for $95.00!

Thanks for the info guys.
"You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
Posted: September 10, 2016 3:58:13 pm
Hoping it was one of our forum readers. Sure seems like it!

Also, you all aware of the Comic xposure variants for 19? Heads up all.
Posted: September 21, 2016 11:02:40 pm
mark71517, I did see that. The disappointing part is that you have to buy the Champions variant with it.... I could care less about it, although it does make a nice looking set.

Close to $75 for the set (color + sketch) is brutal. Plus, I think they are releasing a negative variant also... interested to see where the price lands on it.

Another notable variant is the La Mole ComicCon variant, ASM #18, from Campbell:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKeZEAIAnst/?taken-by=jscottcampbellart
Posted: September 21, 2016 11:04:54 pm
Has anyone come across the ASM #395 HMV variant (no price)?

I've looked hard for long time for that book, and am yet to find it anywhere. I've never even seen it for sale. Other crazy rare ones appear every once in awhile on eBay (case in point Dell Otto #667).
Posted: September 22, 2016 8:53:51 am
tdavignon said:
mark71517, I did see that. The disappointing part is that you have to buy the Champions variant with it.... I could care less about it, although it does make a nice looking set.

Close to $75 for the set (color + sketch) is brutal. Plus, I think they are releasing a negative variant also... interested to see where the price lands on it.

Another notable variant is the La Mole ComicCon variant, ASM #18, from Campbell:

Thank you for that post!!! I did not know about the potential negative variant nor the La Mole!
And I agree, at $75.00, this is all about targeting those of us that are trying to catch them all. Very disappointing!

Posted: September 22, 2016 11:13:50 am
Speaking of Dell Otto #667...anyone got one they want to part with?
Posted: September 22, 2016 11:28:39 am
I sold my copy to mark71517 a few months ago.

Posted: September 22, 2016 6:51:51 pm
tdavignon said:

So wondering everyone's thoughts on LA Mole books.
For example, there is an ASM 11 and ASM 12 LA Mole variant out there (Vol 3) BUT it is in Spanish and says Mexican edition or something like that on the cover. Campbell did the art. Compare that to #15 or even #7(also Vol 3) which is in English and which I do consider a variant in this run). Where does one draw the line? On the language? Or is there a line?
Posted: September 22, 2016 7:36:28 pm
I buy the La Mole variants with original art, not the foreign language variants with recycled covers.
Posted: September 22, 2016 9:13:34 pm
tdavignon said:

I've looked hard for long time for that book, and am yet to find it anywhere. I've never even seen it for sale. Other crazy rare ones appear every once in awhile on eBay (case in point Dell Otto #667).

I picked up my copy from silentassassin a few years ago. I don't remember the story behind this comic.

Posted: September 22, 2016 10:40:57 pm
joe_mccarty said:
tdavignon said:

I picked up my copy from silentassassin a few years ago. I don't remember the story behind this comic.

Not familiar with this. Was this included with a movie DVD?
Posted: September 22, 2016 11:09:48 pm
mark71517 said:
joe_mccarty said:
tdavignon said:

Not familiar with this. Was this included with a movie DVD?

Yeah. It was included in a DVD set sold exclusively at HMV stores in the UK several years back. I ordered a set back when it came out. I recall not being able to find it on their website, and had to call to buy it from a store over the phone. Was kind of sketchy, but I got it.
www.SPIDERMANFAN.com -- A blog for Spider-Man comic book completists
Posted: September 25, 2016 9:55:24 am
joe_mccarty said:
tdavignon said:

Ok eagle eyes Spidey collectors. Take a look at the La Mole MEXICAN ASM 11 and 12 in Spanish. Was there a US cover with that art? These are not the LA mole con English editions which I collect but the art looks familiar.
Posted: September 25, 2016 10:50:25 am
Do you have links? I'm not sure which ones you're talking about.
Posted: September 25, 2016 11:07:17 am
Sure.

ASM 11 La mole Mexican
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAmazing-Spider-Man-11-J-Scott-Campbell-La-Mole-comic-con-Variant-HTF-CGC-9-6-%2F252549967400%3Fhash%3Ditem3acd26ae28%3Ag%3ApIUAAOSw0UdXun6Q

ASM 12 La mole Mexican
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-12-J-SCOTT-CAMPBELL-LA-MOLE-MEXICAN-VARIANT-VG-FN-5-0-%2F361719042327%3Fhash%3Ditem5438229117%3Ag%3AOWQAAOSwGtRX0Gkg
Posted: September 25, 2016 3:01:23 pm

The English version of ASM 11 La mole Mexican is Superior Spider-Man 20. Not sure about ASM 12 La mole Mexican.

Posted: September 25, 2016 3:51:34 pm
Are these the comics you are looking for?

k0AAOSwxg5Xz2u6" rel="nofollow" onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'epn-click', 'forums']);" target="_blank">https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FJ-SCOTT-CAMPBELL-BLACK-CAT-SUPERIOR-SPIDER-MAN-20-VARIANT-US-VERSIONS-%2F152246827320%3Fhash%3Ditem23729e3938%3Ag%3Cimg+src%3D"https://897486f050d3e6499805-8f8a122671e82523aee6d7ac96cb3cc6.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/icon_surprised.gif" alt="Surprised" title="Surprised" />k0AAOSwxg5Xz2u6

Posted: September 25, 2016 4:40:34 pm
joe_mccarty said:
Are these the comics you are looking for?

k0AAOSwxg5Xz2u6
" rel="nofollow" onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'epn-click', 'forums']);" target="_blank">https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FJ-SCOTT-CAMPBELL-BLACK-CAT-SUPERIOR-SPIDER-MAN-20-VARIANT-US-VERSIONS-%2F152246827320%3Fhash%3Ditem23729e3938%3Ag%3Cimg+src%3D"https://897486f050d3e6499805-8f8a122671e82523aee6d7ac96cb3cc6.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/icon_surprised.gif" alt="Surprised" title="Surprised" />k0AAOSwxg5Xz2u6

Thanks,Joe and yes. I am relieved they are not Amazing Spider-Man variants but why the insanity on the pricing of these books?
Posted: September 25, 2016 8:18:34 pm
JSC and pinup covers? Look at the 688 Campbell variant. For years is was a nothing book and now 9.8 copies are close to $1k.

Posted: September 26, 2016 9:16:53 am
mark71517, I don't consider either of the LaMole to be part of the completist collection.

Although, if someone takes it to the level of getting all of the foreign variants, that would be the mack daddy collection. I contemplated it but finding any information about what variants are available is super difficult. Tons of foreign variants with no way of knowing what was actually printed.

So does the group think the 395 HMV counts (as it was a UK variant)? If I remember correctly, it came with a 10 DVD Set of Spider-Man the Animated Series.....
Posted: September 26, 2016 12:53:06 pm
This one counts to me. Other than the fact that it came out in the HMV DVD set, it doesn't have anything that identifies it as foreign. It looks more like the comics inserted with the Marvel Legends figures.

Posted: October 6, 2016 8:33:32 am
Amazing Spiderman 18 La Mole is burning up. I have seen this book sell for almost $200 with another one close to that now. A couple of reasons. First, unlike the Spanish versions, this one is in English with a us price. We also have of coursea Campbell cover and what appears to be limited copies.

What I find of interest is the bar code showing this as a 4th variant(number 4 in the bar code) after the first print and the defenders variant. But what happened to the third variant???

Posted: October 8, 2016 12:49:18 pm
mark71517 said:
Amazing Spiderman 18 La Mole is burning up. I have seen this book sell for almost $200 with another one close to that now. A couple of reasons. First, unlike the Spanish versions, this one is in English with a us price. We also have of coursea Campbell cover and what appears to be limited copies.

Don't sweat it. Just wait it out. La Mole ASM # 7 & 15 (Both Vol. 3) issues went for crazy money when they first came out . Now you can get them dirt cheap. Of course, if you must have it now then you will pay big $$$ but you will lose money in the long run. These don't hold their value due to the print run size.

Last edited October 8, 2016 12:51:12 pm
Posted: October 11, 2016 10:48:23 am
I didn't want to start a new thread to this question and I figured it's spider related. What's up with the big price drop on the whole Vol 2 run?
Posted: October 13, 2016 1:13:36 pm
af15 said:
This one counts to me. Other than the fact that it came out in the HMV DVD set, it doesn't have anything that identifies it as foreign. It looks more like the comics inserted with the Marvel Legends figures.

I'm sure I am in the minority here, BUT those "variants" that came sealed with a Marvel Legends figure or a DVD set were NOT distributed by itself and thus TO ME at least do not count as a variant comic book.

However, I am a packaged collector by nature so I will never open the toy or the dvd just to release the comic to put it in a bag or mylar sleeve. At least to me, a variant needs to be distributed as a "sellable" comic book whether through Marvel (i.e. Diamond), a comic con, or store. However, to each it's own...
Posted: October 13, 2016 1:16:37 pm
stormraider said:
mark71517 said:

Don't sweat it. Just wait it out. La Mole ASM # 7 & 15 (Both Vol. 3) issues went for crazy money when they first came out . Now you can get them dirt cheap. Of course, if you must have it now then you will pay big $$$ but you will lose money in the long run. These don't hold their value due to the print run size.

I for one am waiting this out. Those prices are ridiculous

Last edited October 13, 2016 1:17:56 pm
Posted: October 13, 2016 4:47:09 pm
tangledwebs said:
I didn't want to start a new thread to this question and I figured it's spider related. What's up with the big price drop on the whole Vol 2 run?

ASM Vol. 2 was very "vanilla." Other than issue # 36, there are no issues that have any demand. Variant craze had not hit yet so only collector's looking to complete their sets would have any interest in them.
Posted: October 20, 2016 2:12:28 pm
The Stan Lee variants for issue 17 are now on the stanleecollectibles website for anyone who needs these still :-)
Posted: October 20, 2016 2:29:43 pm
Thanks for posting that!!!!

1 The LA mole cover is still going for big dollars. Seems to be getting worse!
2) ASM 19 will have a 2nd print.
3) I am not aware of any additional store or other unique variants beyond the comic exposure ones that are now available.

Anybody know of anything else?
Posted: November 14, 2016 10:13:41 pm
New this week:

AUG169360 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19 2ND PTG ALEX ROSS BDNM $4.99

Posted: November 15, 2016 9:24:59 am
Now what's making things worse with the variant chase is on top of the 1:50, 1:100 that some go for stupid money, they're coming out in three packs now. The Renew your vows series has a few of them now. Some packs start at $60 and the Campbell ones are around $130 so far.
CRAZY Mad
Posted: November 15, 2016 9:46:05 am
For me, Renew your vows, while a Spider-Man spin off is NOT the Amazing Spider-Man. As such, I do not feel the compulsion /need to gab all of those! But yeah, I am seeing the three packs now. Look at what was done with the Champios/ASM variant set. You had to buy the Champions book to get the ASM book.
Posted: November 15, 2016 10:20:47 am
I know what you're saying mark, I have none of those myself. But if and when I do get the ASM/Champ books, I would like both. I like the overall picture it makes up when connected.
As far as the ASM RYV series, it still has Amazing in the title so I popped it on this thread.Wink And I too have no compulsion to jump on the 3 packs as of yet.
Posted: November 18, 2016 8:14:25 pm
Not trying to nitpick here ladies and gents, but to be fair and of course to each their own, over the past several decades there have been many many ASM spinoffs and promotional items with the "the Amazing Spider-Man" title much like RYV and NONE of them are "technically" categorized by any price guide or grading company for inclusion into the Amazing Spider-Man run.

Actually, even though "we" completionists still "categorize these past few years of ASM into different volumes (i.e. #3, #4) Marvel does not. Simply stated, after Superior Spider-Man it was catalogued as the Amazing Spider-Man 2014 & then again when re-booted it was "2015" never once did the "volume" # change.
Posted: November 18, 2016 9:59:37 pm
For me, the real indicator is the indicia. For example, the current run states "The Amazing Spider-Man 19" for example. We of course then make it a Vol 2, 3 or 4 but to Marvel and as you said, it is just " The Amazing Spider-Man".

For me, if the indicia states Amazing Spider-Man, then I consider that part of the run.

Now clearly Superior was part of the story and even if Marvel renumbered it, it would still never be classified as Amazing Spider-Man because the indicia is the final arbiter of the title name. Sooo, if I didn't collect that title, I would not have the whole sequential story but I would still not be missing an issue of ASM.

Make sense?

So while Renew is still a Spider-Man related title, it is still not ASM to me. However, that all being said, I am amazed at all the variants for that title!!!
Posted: November 24, 2016 4:29:57 pm
Comicxposure are doing another triple set for ASM 23 / Hulk 1. Standard, B&W and 3rd set. The 3rd set is limited to 500 copies and can only be bought with all the others! J Scott Campbell covers so with a limit of 500 copies I reckon will sell quite quickly! Pre-sale started a couple of days ago.
Posted: November 24, 2016 9:31:14 pm
I think this is the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not paying $170 for that set. I am done with variants.

Posted: November 24, 2016 10:45:03 pm
joe_mccarty said:
I think this is the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not paying $170 for that set. I am done with variants.

Good for you Joe. I stopped a while ago and I have no regrets. Welcome to the club. Dancing
Posted: November 25, 2016 12:29:06 am
$170! Serious!?? This is simply taking advantage. Really need to think on this one.
Posted: November 25, 2016 1:06:36 pm
mark71517 said:
$170! Serious!?? This is simply taking advantage. Really need to think on this one.

If 500 people buy this then it will only encourage them to do it in the future. SEND THEM A MESSAGE & DO NOT BUY THIS AND THEY WILL THINK TWICE BEFORE DOING IT AGAIN. It's a good sign that it still available for purchase on their website. Doesn't really matter to me though since I am out of that game and loving it. Dancing
Posted: November 25, 2016 1:21:05 pm
Too rich for me.
My LCS said, If you're going to chase variants, chase the ones that diamond releases. They're more official I guess.
He didn't tell me that just to buy the variants from him (which it sounded like at 1st), but it makes sense. If previewsworld lists them, they're legit IMO. The others are unofficial I guess

Last edited November 25, 2016 1:40:08 pm
Posted: November 25, 2016 2:10:03 pm
This is clearly targeted to those who have to get them all(completionists) or those ebayers who buy these and then flip them for ridiculous profit to those that dont want to take the time to do the research and buy them from the source.

What you are now seeing taken to the extreme is the pairing concept(two different books) along with a third $$$$ variant that can only be purchased after you have spent $$ on the first two variants.

You also notice that if you collect just Hulk or ASM, you have to buy both as a pair, you cannot just buy one.

I really do not think they will sell all 500 sets. But then again, at these prices, they dont need to. The real test will be if they do this again.

I do agree, the books from Diamond are "official" ASM variants in comparison to custom store variants but then again, remember ASM 666? They are all real variants but you have to draw the line somewhere and charging these $$$$ is really aggressive.
Posted: November 25, 2016 2:29:08 pm
I was just trying to make myself believe it's not true so I didn't have to try and chase any unofficial books.
I kinda count the 666 variants more like true variant's (not that i hardly have any) because they were offered to LCS's that wanted to participate.
Posted: November 25, 2016 11:11:59 pm
mark71517 said:

I really do not think they will sell all 500 sets. But then again, at these prices, they dont need to. The real test will be if they do this again.

From what I recall 500 is the minimum size run. Not sure why 500 is the magic number since we don't have access to actual costs, etc... but Mark is probably correct that they don't need to sell all 500 to get out of the red at that price.

Just went on their website and 24 sets left but that doesn't mean they sold 476 sets or does it ?

Last edited November 26, 2016 1:03:32 pm
Posted: November 27, 2016 9:42:23 am
This is no different than the Decomicxado La Mole issue #18 which is selling for ridiculous prices on eBay. I do not own that and refuse to pay that kind of $$ for that book. It still amazes me that it is selling for those prices, BUT as of right now J Scott Campbell books are HOT.

Even without seeing the covers yet for this ComicXposure set being that the artist is J Scott Campbell it is a no brainer for them to set the bar at the $170 price being the artist and 6 books. The NYCC variant set for ASM and Champions sold for $125 so perhaps the difference is with the artist??

Either way, when the day comes (and it will) that I decide to stop collecting "all" covers I will be able to sleep at night. Very Happy
Posted: November 27, 2016 9:21:40 pm
tangledwebs said:
I was just trying to make myself believe it's not true so I didn't have to try and chase any unofficial books.
I kinda count the 666 variants more like true variant's (not that i hardly have any) because they were offered to LCS's that wanted to participate.
The only difference between the two is that 1. for the 666 Marvel asked if the LCS wanted to buy a special cover and 2. for store variants the LCS asked if they could buy a special cover.
Posted: November 28, 2016 9:17:05 pm
New second printing:

SEP168409 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #20 2ND PTG ALEX ROSS VAR CC $3.99

Posted: December 5, 2016 8:04:42 pm
NEW PRINTING
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #21 2ND PTG ALEX ROSS VAR 12/28/16
Posted: December 10, 2016 8:45:02 pm
Thanks Mark!
Posted: December 21, 2016 6:48:27 pm
Every once in a while I will look at this thread, been a while since I chimed in. If I got back into variants I am not sure if I would call store variants official nor anything that comes in a DVD and the like. Those fall into a sub category of variants. There are only a few variants that are actually worth any money and most are for the most part cheap. At times I miss the variants but then I see this $170 deal and its a farce, just wait for all of the suckers to buy it and then sell it later when they are bored or until the retailer sees they will not sell them so they will have to take less money to move them. Anytime anyone is artificially trying to inflate the values of books on the market it never works.
Posted: December 23, 2016 8:31:42 pm
SilentAssassin said:
Every once in a while I will look at this thread, been a while since I chimed in. If I got back into variants I am not sure if I would call store variants official nor anything that comes in a DVD and the like. Those fall into a sub category of variants. There are only a few variants that are actually worth any money and most are for the most part cheap. At times I miss the variants but then I see this $170 deal and its a farce, just wait for all of the suckers to buy it and then sell it later when they are bored or until the retailer sees they will not sell them so they will have to take less money to move them. Anytime anyone is artificially trying to inflate the values of books on the market it never works.

Silent Assassin? I thought you were nothing more than legend Laughing
Posted: December 23, 2016 8:44:38 pm
SilentAssassin said:

I actually think that the Store commissioned variants along with the comic convention ones are "official". I mean Marvel still printed the book even though THEY did not "pay" for the printing. I do not nor will I EVER consider any "reprint" that was packaged with a DVD or TOY (i.e. Toybiz Marvel Legends) to be a "variant mainly because it was NOT sold as a comic book, but included in a dvd set or packaged action figure. As a "packaged" Spider-Man collector these will always remain inside the package in my collection for that DVD or toy. With this being said, that is just the way I look at it and can fully understand how some collectors would "categorize" variants/reprints into different "buckets/categories" OR consider those that were included with the item it was sold as as a standalone comic book even though I personally wouldn't agree on the latter.

I cannot say I fully agree that only "a few" are actually worth a lot of $$$. I mean many of these variants which came out what is now 4-7 years ago are still selling for pretty hefty prices in the big picture. I mean, if you have to pay roughly $50 for one here and there that adds up rather quickly. To amass a complete run of ASM variants these days would cost a great deal and the "average" collector would most likely not be able to do this.
Posted: December 23, 2016 9:12:04 pm
Wait until my wife finds out I am a legend Smile

Its tempting to get back into these but then I think of all the ones I sold and how ugly the covers were lol. That being said its still very tempting.
Posted: December 25, 2016 11:28:13 pm
OCT168630 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #21 2ND PTG ALEX ROSS VAR $3.99

Posted: December 31, 2016 11:47:58 am
Interesting UPCs for the most current issue of Amazing. shows a "1" for the first print but the variants are "4" and "5". Any store exclusives that anyone knows about?
Posted: January 1, 2017 10:05:15 pm
Heads up!
Great Lakes Comicon Amazing Spider-Man #23.

$15.00

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F201758175433
Posted: January 3, 2017 12:01:12 am

Is Black Cat even in this issue? Previews seem to indicate a Gwen story. There are so many variant covers which have nothing in common with the story and more like advertising/promotion for something. I remember a time when the cover of a comic actually had something to do with the story. Anyone know why it was rejected for ASM 194 cover in 1979 ? Maybe a similar Manara Spider-woman controversy ?
Posted: January 3, 2017 12:25:06 am
Probably nothing that extreme. Many artists draw a couple of covers with different poses or perspectives. This was most likely an unused one for ASM #194. Neat that it's being used but it really should have been used for a Black Cat centered issue.

Last edited January 3, 2017 12:26:06 am
Posted: January 4, 2017 11:49:28 am
Check this out for the most current DCBS January list:

Amazing Spider-Man #25 Remastered Piece Var - $2,000.00!

Misprint or something else???/
Posted: January 4, 2017 11:56:59 am
Doesn't look like it's a printing mistake, as a quick Google search found something similar for $1,500 from Hud's Comics (https://hudscomicshop.com/collections/marvel-presales/products/amazing_spider-man_-25_1-1000_remastered_piece_var). It's apparently a 1:1000 variant.

All of that said...it IS a mistake for Marvel to continue to put these out.
Posted: January 4, 2017 12:14:28 pm
If this is real and it does not change then for real, I am out. I can chase variants and work on the completionist thing but a 1:1000 issue is not a variant, it is a managed distribution issue of which maybe 40-60 will exist. '

What does this mean to marvel?

I will now only buy the "A" copy. If others do the same, look for sales to take a dip yet again
Posted: January 4, 2017 1:39:17 pm
Yeah. It's getting tough to be a completist.

I still consider myself to be one, but in early 2016 I instituted my own personal policy of buying only cover price issues and keeping lists of more pricey variants and store exclusives that I want/need to have it all. Then I only pick those up when I find good deals at a con, or when my local comic shop has the occasional half off sale.

That way my completist tendencies drive me to fill the holes when the price is right, and since I had pretty much everything else anyway, it gives me a want list to take to cons.
Posted: January 4, 2017 2:16:55 pm
What is cover price for this book, I heard it was $9.99?
Posted: January 4, 2017 2:24:50 pm
Jeebus!!! $9.99 is insane. First came $3.99 for all. Then $4.99 for several. And occasionally $5.99 and up.

$9.99 takes the cake. I would bet that becomes the new $5.99 in 2017 and we see it several times a year for event books and the start of new story arcs in key books.
Posted: January 4, 2017 2:32:40 pm
I never said it was just that I heard a rumor. Calm down Smile
Posted: January 4, 2017 2:36:50 pm
Yeah, I guess I did hyperventilate. Ha ha. It's $3.99. But it was sooo believable that Marvel would throw it out there at $9.99.

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/966486

Last edited January 4, 2017 2:37:22 pm
Posted: January 4, 2017 2:38:02 pm
The cover price is $3.99 from Diamond, Newsarama list cover price as $9.99. https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN170988

JAN170988
(W) Dan Slott, Various (A) Various (CA) Alex Ross
HUGE BLOWOUT ISSUE!
• STUART IMMONEN (STAR WARS, AVENGERS) takes the artist reins of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and joins Dan Slott for a 40-page main story!
• Then don't miss a super-secret short story by Dan and Giuseppe Camuncoli!
• TOP-SECRET BONUS CREATIVE TEAM!!!
• Hannah Blumenreich makes hers Marvel, making her Spider-Debut!
• Cale Atkinson brings another story of the A-May-ZING SPIDER-AUNT!
Rated T
In Shops: Mar 15, 2017
SRP: $3.99

Last edited January 4, 2017 2:45:31 pm

Posted: January 4, 2017 2:39:12 pm
Same thing happened with #700. I think it had a high rate too until the backlash from people and they made it lower.

Surely it isn't really a 1:1000. I would have to figure 25-50 at most would exist.
Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
Posted: January 4, 2017 7:16:20 pm
The link to ... https://hudscomicshop.com/collections/marvel-presales is sold out. They sold theirs for $1,500!
Posted: January 4, 2017 7:17:09 pm
dough boy said:
Same thing happened with #700. I think it had a high rate too until the backlash from people and they made it lower.

Surely it isn't really a 1:1000. I would have to figure 25-50 at most would exist.

What do you think the value of a book like that 25 to 50 copies would be worth on the secondary market?
Posted: January 4, 2017 7:57:31 pm
No clue. I could see some paying $5k or maybe even $10k if they have every other cover...
Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Posted: January 5, 2017 12:37:23 am
No matter how you look at this, it will be a very rare modern with no more then 50-70 copies.

But holy crap, for $1500-$2,000, one can grab a really nice Golden age book. All depends what you are collecting. This could become the next ASM 667 Dell Otto.

Last edited January 5, 2017 12:42:09 am
Posted: January 5, 2017 6:58:36 pm
mark71517 said:
No matter how you look at this, it will be a very rare modern with no more then 50-70 copies.

But holy crap, for $1500-$2,000, one can grab a really nice Golden age book. All depends what you are collecting. This could become the next ASM 667 Dell Otto.

I'm afraid Mark that the cheapest this will be is $3,500 or most likely $4K. If you can find one for less I strongly recommend buying it. It will also most likely be rarer than 667 Dell'Otto by a mile...
Posted: January 5, 2017 7:00:53 pm
In case people missed it, it was revealed by Marvel that this will be a cover price $9.99 book like I initially posted but wanted someone to clarify. What do you guys think it will mean for this 1:1000 variant?
Posted: January 5, 2017 8:39:43 pm
SilentAssassin said:
In case people missed it, it was revealed by Marvel that this will be a cover price $9.99 book like I initially posted but wanted someone to clarify. What do you guys think it will mean for this 1:1000 variant

with eBay I'm sure people will throw out crazy numbers....$5-10K will not be out of the realm of possibility. There are a handful of big time collectors who'll be able to afford this.
Posted: January 5, 2017 11:14:50 pm
Not sure on this one. The Dell Otto 667 caught everyone by surprise as other 1:100s were easily available and everyone was chasing the 666 set.

People now have plenty of time to go after this book and know in advance.

The real question is, how many people who do not buy this book are STILL completionists, do NOT know about it and will spend that kinda money for a current modern.

Yeah, I can get this for under $2.,000 but just cant do this insanity any more.
Posted: January 7, 2017 2:25:48 pm
mark71517 said:
Not sure on this one. The Dell Otto 667 caught everyone by surprise as other 1:100s were easily available and everyone was chasing the 666 set.People now have plenty of time to go after this book and know in advance. The real question is, how many people who do not buy this book are STILL completionists, do NOT know about it and will spend that kinda money for a current modern.Yeah, I can get this for under $2.,000 but just cant do this insanity any more.

You can get it for under 2K?
Posted: January 8, 2017 11:50:44 pm
dough boy said:

Yes. You are correct. ASM # 700 Ditko variant came out as a 700:1 variant but when the orders didn't come in at that order level Marvel claimed it was a "typo" and changed the ratio level to 200:1. I suspect Marvel is testing the waters again now on the market reaction to such a variant level (1000:1) and if it doesn't bode well then it will be another "typo" and change it to a 100:1 comic. Just my opinion on the matter. Glad I'm out of that game.Very Happy

Last edited January 8, 2017 11:51:00 pm
Posted: January 9, 2017 8:47:44 am
Marvel seem to be releasing 1/1000 variants for a lot of their titles and even for renew your vows 1 (only one copy appeared on ebay and went for $1000) think they will go ahead with this and will command higher price due to popularity and collectibility of title :-o will be too rich for my pocket :-(
Posted: January 9, 2017 8:48:37 am
Marvel has been doing several 1:1000 comics over the past few months. I would be very surprised if they change the ratio to something else. One can only hope that they do change it.

Posted: January 9, 2017 11:33:15 am
What's damning about his situation is the cost of the book coupled with the 1:1000 scenario. It is the worst case scenario. A $10.00 book at a 1:1000 ratio is a strong move by Disney/Marvel to drive $$$ ahead of or with the movie but for all of us collectors, it is a price point from hell.

It wont be the last time and further, it continues to demonstrate what we have always known: this is a business about generating profit, it is not for the collectors or buyers of these books
Posted: January 9, 2017 4:26:50 pm
I think Marvel will add additional variants to sweeten the pot for the retailers; 1:100, 1:200, 1:500 considering this is a $9.99 book especially if the orders are low.
Posted: January 9, 2017 4:35:12 pm
The additional scarce variants will make it easier to justify purchasing the additional inventory needed to get the 1:1000 copy. If they do it, it will be the first 1:1000 comic to do that. I think it is also the first non $3.99 comic to get a 1:1000.

Posted: January 9, 2017 4:37:40 pm
Its pretty crazy to expect retailers to purchase 1,000 copies of a book and only offer a 1:25 and 1:50. I think Marvel is just waiting to add additional copies considering what you mentioned the price of $9.99 VS a $3.99. That would be a very lucrative deal with Marvel rolls out more ratio variants with this deal.
Posted: January 9, 2017 6:28:55 pm
SilentAssassin said:
Its pretty crazy to expect retailers to purchase 1,000 copies of a book and only offer a 1:25 and 1:50. I think Marvel is just waiting to add additional copies considering what you mentioned the price of $9.99 VS a $3.99. That would be a very lucrative deal with Marvel rolls out more ratio variants with this deal.

Couldn't agree more with you...It is insane to think that shops will fork out this much $$$ as 99% of the shops will never be able to sell 1000 copies of cover A. Marvel tread lightly... Shame on you

Posted: January 10, 2017 9:31:59 am
I just popped over to the ComicXposure web site to see how they were doing on their Hulk/Spider-Man #23 set of variants. This set of three is easily the most expensive they have produced with the "C" variant clearly trying to see just how much they can get. As I have said before, at that price they don't need to sell out but which is interesting is NONE of these sets have sold out. Forget whether you like the cover or not, it is a Campbell variant and it appears to be seeing some price resistance.

Lets hope.
Posted: January 10, 2017 10:16:05 pm
I am very very unimpressed by the Comicxposure set even though it is Campbell art...looks like utter garbage. At the end of the day none of this should surprise anyone. After all "it's only business"
Posted: January 16, 2017 9:42:30 am
I have heard nothing more on ASM #25. Many online retailers still have the retail price at $3.99. This may be a wait and see but for now and for the first time I can recall, I only ordered the A copy.

If there is still a 1:1000 as a I still expect it will, looks like I will seriously consider selling some of those very sought after variants. Maybe now, it is time.
Posted: January 25, 2017 1:02:22 am
mark71517 said:
I have heard nothing more on ASM #25. Many online retailers still have the retail price at $3.99. This may be a wait and see but for now and for the first time I can recall, I only ordered the A copy.

If there is still a 1:1000 as a I still expect it will, looks like I will seriously consider selling some of those very sought after variants. Maybe now, it is time.

The exact details of the 1:1000 deal are not totally clear but it seems that retailers can combine purchases of the regular cover, variants and exclusive covers to make up the 1,000 order required qualify for it. Midtown Comics has already commissioned two exclusives which they are selling at $3.99 (discounted to $3.39) and the regular issue is discounted to $2.59. So despite the 1000:1 copy having a rumored cover price of $9.99, I suspect that has no relevance to the regular and exclusives which appear to be priced at $3.99. Having said that, I speculate that the task of achieving an order of 1,000 copies won't be as onerous as one might think. For example, an exclusive run of 15,000 comics will get you 15 copies of the much hyped 1000:1 comic. A lot of people have been focused on 1,000 copies of the regular issue at $9.99 and who in their right mind would place such an order Brick wall but when you change that focus to exclusives then Marvel has hit the jackpot. It's quite ingenious of them because it encourages retailers to go out and commission exclusives for that issue so they can get the 1,000:1 variant. In conclusion, Amazing Spider-Man # 25 will have a lot of exclusive covers (bad for completionists because more issues to buy) which in turn will produce more copies of the 1,000:1 variant (good for completionists because it's more readily available) so don't give up hope yet to all you completionists. Dancing If I had to make an estimate of how many 1000:1 there will be made then I'd say 250-300 copies which should put it in the price range of around $1,000.00 (still a lot of money) at the initial outset and drop after the initial hype. All of this is purely speculation and I'd like to hear any thoughts. P.S. Make sure you get any 100:1 variants of ASM # 26 by Dell'Otto because it will be under ordered since retailers will be maxed out. Ha Ha.Applause

Last edited January 25, 2017 1:07:27 am
Posted: January 25, 2017 9:01:38 am
Great update and thanks for the insight.

I am still not clear what the cover price is, $3.99 or greater. Also, I am not surprised by the store variants. This could be a real mess but as completionists, we have dealt with this before.

However, what is still giving me pause is not the chase for all the store exclusives but the realization that these 1:1000 are starting to become more prevalent. These will continue and at least for me that collects multiple titles, dropping $1,000 on a 2017 modern seems a bit insane.

I am really thinking I am out of the race....
Posted: January 25, 2017 9:50:16 am
mark71517 said:

...dropping $1,000 on a 2017 modern seems a bit insane.

Understatement of the century for sure. It's crazy to drop that kind of money, which could buy major level Silver Age keys.

As a LONG TIME Spidey completist, I am very comfortable letting those 1:1000 books sit on a want list that may never be completed.
Posted: January 25, 2017 9:44:27 pm
stormraider said:
mark71517 said:

The exact details of the 1:1000 deal are not totally clear but it seems that retailers can combine purchases of the regular cover, variants and exclusive covers to make up the 1,000 order required qualify for it. Midtown Comics has already commissioned two exclusives which they are selling at $3.99 (discounted to $3.39) and the regular issue is discounted to $2.59. So despite the 1000:1 copy having a rumored cover price of $9.99, I suspect that has no relevance to the regular and exclusives which appear to be priced at $3.99. Having said that, I speculate that the task of achieving an order of 1,000 copies won't be as onerous as one might think. For example, an exclusive run of 15,000 comics will get you 15 copies of the much hyped 1000:1 comic. A lot of people have been focused on 1,000 copies of the regular issue at $9.99 and who in their right mind would place such an order Brick wall but when you change that focus to exclusives then Marvel has hit the jackpot. It's quite ingenious of them because it encourages retailers to go out and commission exclusives for that issue so they can get the 1,000:1 variant. In conclusion, Amazing Spider-Man # 25 will have a lot of exclusive covers (bad for completionists because more issues to buy) which in turn will produce more copies of the 1,000:1 variant (good for completionists because it's more readily available) so don't give up hope yet to all you completionists. Dancing If I had to make an estimate of how many 1000:1 there will be made then I'd say 250-300 copies which should put it in the price range of around $1,000.00 (still a lot of money) at the initial outset and drop after the initial hype. All of this is purely speculation and I'd like to hear any thoughts. P.S. Make sure you get any 100:1 variants of ASM # 26 by Dell'Otto because it will be under ordered since retailers will be maxed out. Ha Ha.Applause

Are you sure Midtown pricing is accurate? Marvel and Diamond have confirmed it is an 88 page blowout at $9.99 cover price. This may be a typo AND the non ratio variants really won't matter with a 1:1000 priced at $9.99. It really doesn't impact things at all.
Posted: January 25, 2017 11:28:54 pm
LovetheLizard said:
Are you sure Midtown pricing is accurate? Marvel and Diamond have confirmed it is an 88 page blowout at $9.99 cover price. This may be a typo AND the non ratio variants really won't matter with a 1:1000 priced at $9.99. It really doesn't impact things at all.

I am not sure if Midtown's pricing is accurate or not. I can only go by what is on their site and currently it shows $3.99.

Last edited January 25, 2017 11:51:52 pm
Posted: February 9, 2017 11:15:27 pm
Still very little info coming out on ASM #25

I can say however that I am NOT going after the 1:1000. The two new X-Men books coming out also have 1:1000 covers which apparently is now becoming more of an accepted approach by Marvel.

IT will be interesting to see the sales numbers on this book

Posted: February 11, 2017 11:17:31 am
I am one of these completionists who was dumb enough to collect everything. But now I quit due to the announced 1:1000 variant. I communicated this to Marvel, but of course no response Very Happy
Posted: February 11, 2017 11:18:41 am
And sorry: no, my 667 and 678 are still not for sale (unless... )
Posted: February 11, 2017 3:02:20 pm
Dutch74 said:
I am one of these completionists who was dumb enough to collect everything. But now I quit due to the announced 1:1000 variant. I communicated this to Marvel, but of course no response Very Happy

I wouldn't say "dumb". After all, some/many of the variants from before issue # 700, have appreciated in value so much that they more than make up for all the cash you've spent on them if you ever decide to sell them (assuming you bought them as they came out). Any ways, welcome to the club. I quit trying to get them all a couple of years ago and have not looked back. Dancing By the way, looks like another 3-Pack by Artem for Amazing Spider-Man # 25 selling on Ebay for $99.99. Auction states regular cover price is $9.99 and it's a 92 page Anniversary issue. Anyone know what Anniversary it is?
Posted: February 11, 2017 5:57:56 pm
The 3 Pack you are referring to is from ComicXposure and is by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau. it is the same ratio as the J Scott Campbell set so figure cover A has 3,000 print run, cover B has 1,500 and cover C (with NO The Amazing Spider-Man title on cover is limited to 500.

Anyhow, ComicXposure is selling the 3 pack for $99.99. As far as the 1:1000 is concerned, this is something that any comic book publisher will be doing going forward as to the sales/marketing teams all they care about is selling more copies. The way they look at this is even though only perhaps a few stores buy this issue it is still more sold. For example, let's say a total of 5 stores buy the 1:1000, that is 5,000 books they sold that they normally would not have...all that matters is the bottom line financials.

After all it is only business and none of us "former completionists" should take any of this personal whether or not we agree with the tactic.
Posted: February 12, 2017 8:17:04 am
LovetheLizard said:

After all it is only business and none of us "former completionists" should take any of this personal whether or not we agree with the tactic.

As collectors, many of us find enjoyment in the "gotta get them all" philosophy. I know for me, I really wanted to try and build a complete a run as I could. But that all being said, the goal of any business is to make profit. As our friend the Izard pointed out, even if there are only 5-10 of these in existence, Marvel/Disney DOES NOT CARE about the secondary market. They are responsible for revenue/profit to their shareholders. With print runs and circulation numbers dropping as they have been, a 1:1000 allows them to producr that many more books. This IS the new world order now.
Posted: February 12, 2017 8:17:06 am
As far as the ComicXposure three set, look at how the cost of these continue to rise. Getting them all is indeed becoming a very well off persons game.

Last edited February 12, 2017 8:20:05 am
One last item here, do we know of anyone on this board that IS getting the 1:1000 ASM #25?

Last edited February 12, 2017 8:21:17 am
For those of you interested in the business side of this, I find Comichron.com invaluable.

Looking at monthly figures for Dec of 2016, Amazing sold around 63K units. The highest selling book was Justice League VS suicide squad at 180K units.

Now take 60K units and triple the price and you have ASM 25. Add to that the magical 1:1000 and you have another few thousand copies printed.

Look for this book to be the dollar volume leader for March and because of the price, equivalent to over 200K in volume had the book been normally priced.

Last edited February 13, 2017 5:18:18 pm
Posted: February 14, 2017 2:58:11 pm
mark71517 said:
One last item here, do we know of anyone on this board that IS getting the 1:1000 ASM #25?

Well, if anyone is planning on getting it, the first Ebay listing # 302224700951 has it available for $5,399. You get a bonus 70 other copies for that price. Good Luck..
Posted: February 14, 2017 3:33:39 pm
For that kind of money, I could order all 1000 copies, plus 20 1:50 variants and 40 1:25 variants and have money left over and get the 1:1000 for free and have money left over.

That is a horrible deal.

Posted: February 15, 2017 10:07:30 pm
stormraider said:
LovetheLizard said:

I am not sure if Midtown's pricing is accurate or not. I can only go by what is on their site and currently it shows $3.99.

Midtown's site now shows cover price as $9.99.
Posted: February 17, 2017 10:59:27 pm
5 listings currently on eBay...here's one with covers

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fm.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-25-1-1000-REMASTERED-PIECE-VARIANT-SET-ROMITA-MARVEL-COMICS-%2F142282050149%3Fhash%3Ditem2120abca65%253Ag%253A9yQAAOSw2gxYp0Hz%26_trkparms%3Dpageci%25253Acdde34b2-f596-11e6-a0a6-74dbd180beb6%25257Cparentrq%25253A4f955bf315a0a2abd3ff4a15fff56aad%25257Ciid%25253A13
Posted: February 18, 2017 8:14:52 pm
I noticed a few of the sellers listed these as auctions and they end before the final cut-off date/time. So I think these sellers are listing their auction as a "feeler".

Anyhow, I am surprised two of the sellers show to have 3 & 5 available respectively...Shocked
Posted: February 19, 2017 8:18:02 am
Drewbizz is a flipper. They are only paying around $4,500 for 1,000 copies. Sell the 1:1000 for $3,000, the 1:50 for $40 each, the 1:25 for $10 each and you only need to sell each regular copy for $.30 to break even. Sell them for $2 each and you profit at least $1.5k. Chances are he bought 4 sets and is keeping one for himself.

Posted: February 25, 2017 11:50:42 am
2 new variants recently came out for issue #25...

Unknown Comics
https://unknowncomicbooks.com/collections/amazing-spider-man-25

J Scott Campbell
https://jscottcampbell.com/products/amazing-spider-man-25-j-scott-campbell-store-exclusive-cover?utm_source=J+Scott+Campbell+VIP+List&utm_campaign=41bdfafc72-ASM_25_TEASER_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d5c14a603b-41bdfafc72-398812437&mc_cid=41bdfafc72&mc_eid=5614b1b25b
Posted: March 2, 2017 12:15:57 am
LovetheLizard said:
I noticed a few of the sellers listed these as auctions and they end before the final cut-off date/time. So I think these sellers are listing their auction as a "feeler".

Anyhow, I am surprised two of the sellers show to have 3 & 5 available respectively...Shocked

Yes, no takers so all the "feeler" auctions are gone now. Even Drewbizz has cut down to two.
Posted: March 2, 2017 12:21:16 am
A copy of ASM 25 sold for $3550 today.

Posted: March 2, 2017 5:20:50 pm
joe_mccarty said:
A copy of ASM 25 sold for $3550 today.

The real question is, " Is it a legitimate sale?" or just B.S. to hype/start sales.
Posted: March 2, 2017 5:33:28 pm
And what would be the motive/purpose of that???
Posted: March 2, 2017 5:55:49 pm
As i posted " to hype/start sales". Monkey see, monkey do.
Posted: March 2, 2017 7:28:08 pm
Graham crackers is a reputable business. That was a legit sale.

Posted: March 2, 2017 8:58:26 pm
joe_mccarty said:

Is it a legit sale if the buyer doesn't pay ? Liar Looking forward to the feedback exchange, if there is any.

Last edited March 3, 2017 12:47:00 am
Posted: March 3, 2017 10:25:55 am
stormraider said:
joe_mccarty said:

Is it a legit sale if the buyer doesn't pay ? Liar Looking forward to the feedback exchange, if there is any.

Perhaps I'm missing your point, but that selling price is around what the book should sell for based on retail price. So your theory of a shill bid effort by one or more sellers in this example does not make sense. If auction ended at double that price then maybe you might have a case.
Posted: March 3, 2017 12:51:06 pm
Another variant for ASM #25 for Wondercon. They're preselling 500 for those who can't make it.
https://krscomics.com/products/amazing-spiderman-25-triple-sized-wondercon-exclusive-j-scott-campbell-variant?variant=25169203717
Posted: March 3, 2017 1:07:52 pm
Thanks for the update

Posted: March 3, 2017 1:18:24 pm
joe_mccarty said:
Thanks for the update
It's J Scott Campbell so I have to get it.
Posted: March 3, 2017 1:24:13 pm
Agreed. It's not his best art but it is Campbell.

Posted: March 3, 2017 1:41:19 pm
I think it would make a fantastic statue. I'm a sucker for his MJ.
Posted: March 5, 2017 3:29:38 am
LovetheLizard said:
stormraider said:
joe_mccarty said:

Perhaps I'm missing your point, but that selling price is around what the book should sell for based on retail price. So your theory of a shill bid effort by one or more sellers in this example does not make sense. If auction ended at double that price then maybe you might have a case.

If you believe this comic should retail around $3,500.00 then I see your point but I believe it should be far less hence my skepticism over the one "sale" so far. The "retail price" when you really think about it is $9.99. Anyways, as the old saying goes, "A comic is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it" so if someone actually paid $3,550.00 then all the power to him/her. Applause
Posted: March 5, 2017 10:43:31 am
I can say that I know of copies that have sold to 4 different people for around $3000 or more.

Posted: March 5, 2017 2:39:50 pm
joe_mccarty said:
I can say that I know of copies that have sold to 4 different people for around $3000 or more.

Back on January 4, 2017, AF15 & Mark71517 posted "retail" prices of $1,500.00 and $2,000.00 by Hud's Comics and DCBS, respectively. For me, that is where the "retail" price bar should be set. But it appears, the bar has been "reset" at the $3,000.00 + level. In my opinion, anyone paying that much will not recoup their investment but some people are just collector's and don't care about resale value and just want to have a copy whatever the price (assuming they have the money and the willingness to do so).
Posted: March 5, 2017 2:55:09 pm
That price was quoted when they thought the retail price was $3.99. As soon as they actually looked at the real price of $9.99 the price changed.

Posted: March 5, 2017 7:39:48 pm
joe_mccarty said:
That price was quoted when they thought the retail price was $3.99. As soon as they actually looked at the real price of $9.99 the price changed.

...And I know for a fact that HUD's changed their price (see link below for HUD's unsold eBay auction) and DCBS pulled the book from their site the second that the $9.99 price had been verified.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-25-1-1000-Gil-Kaine-Variant-Set-Presale-3-15-2017-%2F302224700951%3Fhash%3Ditem465dfef617%3Ag%3AhNgAAOSwr%7ElYqgya
Posted: March 5, 2017 9:04:33 pm
joe_mccarty said:

Sample size needs to be higher before we can draw any conclusions.
Posted: March 5, 2017 9:11:34 pm
Amazing Spider-Man going back to "legacy" numbering with the "Make Mine Marvel" launch?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/05/peter-parker-will-no-longer-ceo-amazing-spider-man/
Posted: March 5, 2017 9:16:29 pm
stormraider said:
joe_mccarty said:

Sample size needs to be higher before we can draw any conclusions.

The sample size isn't going to get much larger. I doubt there will be more than 30 copies of this book being released.

Posted: March 5, 2017 11:34:23 pm
LovetheLizard said:
Amazing Spider-Man going back to "legacy" numbering with the "Make Mine Marvel" launch?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/05/peter-parker-will-no-longer-ceo-amazing-spider-man/

Was there any doubt that would happen? Back on track to ASM # 1000.
Posted: March 6, 2017 1:59:13 am
joe_mccarty said:

Exerp from Bleeding Cool post on January 27, 2017 "If retailers order 200% of this $9.99 comic that they did of Amazing Spider-Man #22, then they get a massive discount off the price"

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/27/marvel-will-help-amazing-spider-man-25-top-dollar-chart-march/
Posted: March 6, 2017 9:21:56 am
What's your point?

The discount mentioned by this article is why the 1:1000 is selling for around $3000 instead of $4500.

Posted: March 7, 2017 6:39:50 pm
FanExpo variant for #25

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fm.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAmazing-Spider-Man-25-Immonen-Variant-Half-Sketch-FanExpo-Comic-Con-Exclusive-%2F182475753184%3Fhash%3Ditem2a7c6706e0%253Ag%253AqnEAAOSwSlBYud08%26_trkparms%3Dpageci%25253A96960b6c-0397-11e7-be1f-74dbd180f111%25257Cparentrq%25253Aab5a999b15a0a60624f60adbfffe7c63%25257Ciid%25253A25
Posted: March 11, 2017 7:57:49 am
Dutch74 said:
And sorry: no, my 667 and 678 are still not for sale (unless... )

Unless what?
Posted: March 12, 2017 2:52:25 pm
Based on current developments with the relaunch of the legacy numbering for Marvel titles with the reboot of the "Make Mine Marvel" slogan, Marvel is releasing a 1:1000 & 1:2000 ratio variant for Venom #150. According to an article on Bleeding Cool, ASM is scheduled to go back to original numbering starting at #750 which would be in August.

I'm guessing Marvel will do the same with this issue as they did with Venom #150 which means this thread will most likely will come to an end. I must say, this doesn't come as a surprise. As of right now I'm not too fond of Marvel's tactics, but I said before business is business...I'll just take my $$ and spend on other things...
Posted: March 21, 2017 11:26:51 pm
So, Comics Price Guide now has the 1:1000 (#25 Remastered Variant) at:

$1,500 in 9.4, raw
$1,714 in 9.6, raw
$2,143 in 9.8, raw

At least it's not $5,000. Very Happy
Posted: March 21, 2017 11:30:31 pm
Try to find one for sale at that price.

Posted: March 22, 2017 8:12:44 pm
My master plan to destroy ALL 1:1000's.... HAIL HYDRA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oe5VJ-tl2Y&feature=youtu.be

Oh and a SECOND COPY was DESTROYED TODAY.... Evil or Very Mad

Last edited March 22, 2017 8:19:38 pm
Posted: April 7, 2017 4:16:05 pm
I just counted all the ASMs #25. If my math is correct, there are 16 of them! This includes the Wondercon and Fan Expo, the three from ComicXposure, 2 from Unknown Comics, and then the three from J Scott Campbell.com. Add the 6 regular issues and you have 16.

I feel dirty....
Posted: April 8, 2017 11:16:33 am
mark71517 said:
I just counted all the ASMs #25. If my math is correct, there are 16 of them! This includes the Wondercon and Fan Expo, the three from ComicXposure, 2 from Unknown Comics, and then the three from J Scott Campbell.com. Add the 6 regular issues and you have 16.

I feel dirty....

Marvel loves ya Mark!!! d'oh!
Posted: April 13, 2017 11:20:32 pm
It's been a little while since I've checked this thread....

and....I'm still looking for an ASM 395 HMV.

Hope you are all fairing well with the latest #25 madness.
Posted: April 16, 2017 3:09:04 am
spideycollector said:

$1,500 in 9.4, raw
$1,714 in 9.6, raw
$2,143 in 9.8, raw

joe_mccarty said:

Ebay auction # 401304474527.

$1,800.00 o.b.o.

I bet those "sales" that paid double that are regretting it now. Brick wall
Posted: April 17, 2017 4:28:34 pm
stormraider said:
spideycollector said:

$1,500 in 9.4, raw
$1,714 in 9.6, raw
$2,143 in 9.8, raw

joe_mccarty said:

$1,800.00 o.b.o.

Too late. Snooze and you lose. Sold for less than $1,335.00. Probably $1,300.00.

Last edited April 18, 2017 1:56:32 pm
Posted: April 19, 2017 11:00:56 pm
stormraider said:
stormraider said:
spideycollector said:

$1,500 in 9.4, raw
$1,714 in 9.6, raw
$2,143 in 9.8, raw

joe_mccarty said:

$1,800.00 o.b.o.

Too late. Snooze and you lose. Sold for less than $1,335.00. Probably $1,300.00.

Whoa. Hold on. Same seller, another copy? Dancing Ebay auction # 401311192722. $1,800.00 o.b.o. Can probably get it for $1,300.00, if you want it. To all those that "bought" at the inflated price of $3,550.00 +, you could have had 2.73 copies for that amount. Brick wall Not that you'd want 0.73 of a copy.Laughing
Posted: April 21, 2017 5:26:15 pm
I am happy with the copy I just got back from CGC graded 9.8. The $4050 price one sold for last night was pretty nice as well.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F222473921822%3F_trksid%3Dp2060353.m1438.l2649%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT

Posted: April 22, 2017 12:25:21 pm
joe_mccarty said:
I am happy with the copy I just got back from CGC graded 9.8. The $4050 price one sold for last night was pretty nice as well.http://www.ebay.com/itm/222473921822?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Looks like there was a shill bid at $4,000.00. Next highest bid not counting shill bid was $1,938.00. Anyone paying that kind of money for this comic will lose money in the long run (in my opinion) but it's not always about the money. Sometimes you just gotta have it at any price and if by chance the comic appreciates beyond your investment then it's a feel good thing.
Posted: July 1, 2017 4:41:46 pm
Anyone still out there? Other then the ComicXposure 4 pac, I really haven't seen anything for ASM. Full court present on the new Spidey title but not ASM.
Posted: July 2, 2017 10:00:18 pm
The Walmart Exclusive Prepack Variant almost flew under the radar. If it wasn't for eBay, I wouldn't have gotten it. If it wasn't for CBR, I wouldn't even have known about it. All my Walmart locations locally don't even sell comics.

Screw #678, which IMO is overpriced and not as rare as people believe, try and find issues like this...there's only one on ebay right now.
Posted: July 3, 2017 8:42:25 am
spideycollector said:
The Walmart Exclusive Prepack Variant almost flew under the radar. If it wasn't for eBay, I wouldn't have gotten it. If it wasn't for CBR, I wouldn't even have known about it. All my Walmart locations locally don't even sell comics.

Screw #678, which IMO is overpriced and not as rare as people believe, try and find issues like this...there's only one on ebay right now.

You mean the issue #26 ? Anyone know what else is in the pack?
Posted: July 3, 2017 4:20:03 pm
New ComicXposure variant coming: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #32 VENOMIZED GREEN GOBLIN as part of a venomized wave two. Now that is a bitchin' cover! Not sure if that's an exclusive, but would be a good bet. It's set to drop in September.

I just got my AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #29 MARY JANE VENOM FRANCESCO MATTINA 4 PACK in the mail today.

And...the Walmart pre-pack variant is now gone from eBay.
Posted: July 3, 2017 10:38:36 pm
spideycollector said:
New ComicXposure variant coming: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #32 VENOMIZED GREEN GOBLIN as part of a venomized wave two. Now that is a bitchin' cover! Not sure if that's an exclusive, but would be a good bet. It's set to drop in September.

I just got my AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #29 MARY JANE VENOM FRANCESCO MATTINA 4 PACK in the mail today.

And...the Walmart pre-pack variant is now gone from eBay.

Is there an image of the Walmart pre pack??
Posted: July 4, 2017 3:05:03 pm
spideycollector said:

Not sure that is a ComicXposure variant and that may just be the regular Marvel variant. We will have to watch for that one....
Posted: July 5, 2017 11:25:22 am
SilentAssassin said:
spideycollector said:
New ComicXposure variant coming:Is there an image of the Walmart pre pack??

Posted: July 5, 2017 7:08:54 pm
mark71517 said:
spideycollector said:

Not sure that is a ComicXposure variant and that may just be the regular Marvel variant. We will have to watch for that one....

Are you guys/gals positive that the Grren Goblin Venomized cover is a ComicXposure variant? I looked on DCBS and it appears to be a Marvel released variant and by the price has to be an extremely low ratio if a ratio at all. On the non-Spidey side, I noticed that DCBS has a Venomverse Remastered variant priced at $4,100 Laughing
Posted: August 7, 2017 7:00:48 pm
spideycollector said:
The Walmart Exclusive Prepack Variant almost flew under the radar. If it wasn't for eBay, I wouldn't have gotten it. If it wasn't for CBR, I wouldn't even have known about it. All my Walmart locations locally don't even sell comics.Screw #678, which IMO is overpriced and not as rare as people believe, try and find issues like this...there's only one on ebay right now.

The utter lack of raw copies of 678 coming to market the last couple of years would seem to suggest otherwise.

JDR
Posted: August 7, 2017 8:03:05 pm
There are a 4 of copies of 678 available on eBay right now and 9 copies sold in the past month or so. You won't find any raw copies because there is too much money involved and I agree they are massively overpriced. I'm glad I only paid $40 for my copy.

Try to find a copy of the 667 Dell Otto variant, that's difficult.

Posted: August 8, 2017 12:28:05 am
joe_mccarty said:
There are a 4 of copies of 678 available on eBay right now and 9 copies sold in the past month or so. You won't find any raw copies because there is too much money involved and I agree they are massively overpriced. I'm glad I only paid $40 for my copy.

ASM # 678 MJ Venom variant was a 1:50 variant and ASM # 667 Dell'Otto was a 1:100 variant. However ASM # 667 Dell'Otto was under-ordered and flew under the radar due to ASM # 666 retailer issues. ASM # 678 was a nice looking cover and was ordered in much higher quantities (vs. ASM # 667 Dell'Otto) and it's just pricey because it's squirreled away in collections and in high demand but not rare. It has been stated that 225 copies of the ASM #667 Dell'Otto variant exist and of that number approx. 100 copies had a print defect so it's not only in high demand but very short supply.
Posted: August 8, 2017 3:38:02 pm
stormraider said:
joe_mccarty said:

ASM # 678 MJ Venom variant was a 1:50 variant and ASM # 667 Dell'Otto was a 1:100 variant. However ASM # 667 Dell'Otto was under-ordered and flew under the radar due to ASM # 666 retailer issues. ASM # 678 was a nice looking cover and was ordered in much higher quantities (vs. ASM # 667 Dell'Otto) and it's just pricey because it's squirreled away in collections and in high demand but not rare. It has been stated that 225 copies of the ASM #667 Dell'Otto variant exist and of that number approx. 100 copies had a print defect so it's not only in high demand but very short supply.

Actually, no, the ASM 678 was not a heavily ordered book AT ALL. The regular issue only had about 50,000 copies ordered, ASM wasn't even a top 20 seller at the time, and very retailers actually saw the book coming, and even less ordered the 50 copies of the regular issue in order to qualify for the variant. The copies that you are seeing on eBay Are all slabs, not one raw copy, that should tell you something. It is likely that the majority of the copies that were printed are slabbed and the ones that aren't slabbed are probably less than perfect condition (hence why there are only 30 or so copies of 9.8 in existence). The book sells for what it does because A) it is a very rare book, especially for an ASM, and B) it a famous cover that has been homaged and reprinted at least a dozen times in its relatively short 5 year history, and C) it's basically solely responsible for the "venomization" of every character cover craze.

As for the ASM 667 Dell'otto, yes that is even rare-er than the 678, and also exponentially more expensive, if you can even find one. But bringing up a book that is so rare that it is basically a freak of nature as a means of trying to show why the 678 isn't rare is a bit of a straw man argument. They are both rare, one is just even more rare than the other.

JDR

Posted: August 8, 2017 9:27:19 pm
I suppose it depends on your definition of rare.

There are 141 copies of the 678 variant graded by CGC. Who knows what CBCS has. They don't have a census.

Posted: August 8, 2017 11:59:26 pm
joe_mccarty said:
I suppose it depends on your definition of rare.

There are 141 copies of the 678 variant graded by CGC. Who knows what CBCS has. They don't have a census.

CBCS has no census because they represent a negligible overall market share. But that is exactly my point. 141 slabs and a raw copy seen only here and there over the last couple of years. A very large percentage, if not most of the copies out there have been slabbed. What you see is what you got. And how many of the slabs are crack and re-subs? How many got turned into yellow labels? How many were cracked and sent to CBCS for one of their famous gift grades ? If anything, the census is actually skewed high.

Simply put, the book is rare.

JDR
Posted: October 28, 2017 11:36:38 am
Not sure if anyone still reads this (been untouched for awhile), but a variant I missed and had to buy off of the secondary market was ASM #789 shattered variant, here is an example:

-cAAOSwpKtZ4ilA" rel="nofollow" onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'epn-click', 'forums']);" target="_blank">https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-789-SHATTERED-COMICS-VARIANT-ASM-129-HOMAGE-COVER-SWIPE-NEW%2F182831045092%3Fhash%3Ditem2a919459e4%3Ag%3Cimg+src%3D"https://897486f050d3e6499805-8f8a122671e82523aee6d7ac96cb3cc6.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/icon_razz.gif" alt="Razz" title="Razz" />-cAAOSwpKtZ4ilA
Posted: October 28, 2017 8:04:00 pm
789 2nd printing due out on 11/15/2017...I believe as of right now there will be 2 variants for 792 and 1 for 793.
Posted: October 28, 2017 11:28:09 pm

Shame on me for not seeing this in time. The original shop was selling these for basically 1/3 of what they are now selling on ebay for!
Posted: November 1, 2017 4:16:20 pm
Nice didn't realize there were so many others trying to get the full ASM set.
Posted: November 11, 2017 10:31:34 pm
thedugshow said:
Nice didn't realize there were so many others trying to get the full ASM set.

Absolutely!! Been chasing the full ASM set (with all variants) for years...and only ASM. Just today, I landed the famous (or infamous) ASM 667 Dell'Otto. Having to go after the Superior and RYV issues (thanks, Marvel!) took a little time since I wasn't picking these up as they came out.

BTW...I missed the Shattered #789 like everyone else! Seems like it's holding it's value around $40 though.
Posted: November 11, 2017 10:35:56 pm
So how much did you pay for the 667? And where did you get it? What's the story?
Posted: November 11, 2017 10:52:05 pm
Was is the 9.6 that sold for $8k this afternoon?

Posted: November 12, 2017 8:48:47 am
Joe, how do you know what the ‘best offer accepted’ was? I’ve always wondered how you could see this....

joe_mccarty said:
Posted: November 12, 2017 11:35:17 am
tdavignon said:
Joe, how do you know what the ‘best offer accepted’ was? I’ve always wondered how you could see this....

joe_mccarty said:

In this case, I placed a lower bid and was notified by email when the auction was completed.

Normally I do a search on ebay sold auctions and sort by highest price first. It sorts by the sold price, not the asking price. The key to this search is to have enough items in your sort that are in the range of what you are looking for. In this case, search for Amazing Spiderman and then sort. The 667 appears between a comic that sold for $8000 and and other that was around $8100.

Posted: November 12, 2017 4:01:41 pm
joe_mccarty said:
tdavignon said:

joe_mccarty said:

In this case, I placed a lower bid and was notified by email when the auction was completed.

Normally I do a search on ebay sold auctions and sort by highest price first. It sorts by the sold price, not the asking price. The key to this search is to have enough items in your sort that are in the range of what you are looking for. In this case, search for Amazing Spiderman and then sort. The 667 appears between a comic that sold for $8000 and and other that was around $8100.

Just go to watchcount.com and type in the item number. The 9.6, 667 sold for $8k (I also have a GPA subscription, it is also on there).

I'm also wondering whether that fellow who just claimed to get a copy is talking about the 9.6 that just sold on eBay.

JDR
Posted: November 12, 2017 9:01:20 pm
Awesome! Thanks for the insight...I'll have to remember this. Thanks again!

joe_mccarty said:
tdavignon said:
joe_mccarty said:
In this case, I placed a lower bid and was notified by email when the auction was completed.Normally I do a search on ebay sold auctions and sort by highest price first. It sorts by the sold price, not the asking price. The key to this search is to have enough items in your sort that are in the range of what you are looking for. In this case, search for Amazing Spiderman and then sort. The 667 appears between a comic that sold for $8000 and and other that was around $8100.
Posted: November 12, 2017 9:20:33 pm
watchcount.com seems like an interesting site....didn't know it existed. Feeling crazy for paying $600 3 years ago for this book looks like a bargain compared to these recent prices....wow!

JDR said:
joe_mccarty said:
tdavignon said:

joe_mccarty said:

Just go to watchcount.com and type in the item number. The 9.6, 667 sold for $8k (I also have a GPA subscription, it is also on there).

I'm also wondering whether that fellow who just claimed to get a copy is talking about the 9.6 that just sold on eBay.

JDR
Posted: November 12, 2017 10:35:05 pm
tdavignon said:
watchcount.com seems like an interesting site....didn't know it existed. Feeling crazy for paying $600 3 years ago for this book looks like a bargain compared to these recent prices....wow!

JDR said:
joe_mccarty said:
tdavignon said:

joe_mccarty said:

JDR

Well not for nothing but three years ago it was going for ~$1500 raw, so you got a good deal then.

JDR
Posted: November 20, 2017 10:55:02 pm
And as I look at my 9.4 Del Otto 667 and my ASM #25 1:1000 9.8, I am a heart beat away from selling both as a set.....

serious.
Posted: November 20, 2017 11:15:19 pm
I don’t mind getting it back.

Posted: November 22, 2017 6:23:49 pm
mark71517 said:
And as I look at my 9.4 Del Otto 667 and my ASM #25 1:1000 9.8, I am a heart beat away from selling both as a set.....

serious.

Do it! Sell them separately though...you'll get more. You should get about 5-6K for that 9.4 Dell'Otto 667 at today's going rate...and it will go. You just don't see 'em!! Those ASM #25s are a little odd to me. Sellers have their prices all over the place and yet buyers are really only paying about $2K. Maybe because of the cover...it's just OK for me. I get that it's a throw-back. And maybe that's why. I've seen it before and it doesn't feel special.
Posted: November 23, 2017 9:04:03 am
mark71517 said:

serious.

The only two people I've ever known that actually owned a 667 Dell'otto both constantly say how much they regret selling it...

JDR
Posted: November 23, 2017 1:44:28 pm
JDR said:
mark71517 said:
And as I look at my 9.4 Del Otto 667 and my ASM #25 1:1000 9.8, I am a heart beat away from selling both as a set.....serious.
The only two people I've ever known that actually owned a 667 Dell'otto both constantly say how much they regret selling it...JDR

JDR : You don't own a copy?
Posted: November 23, 2017 2:32:59 pm
spideycollector said:
mark71517 said:

serious.

Do it! Sell them separately though...you'll get more. You should get about 5-6K for that 9.4 Dell'Otto 667 at today's going rate...and it will go. You just don't see 'em!! Those ASM #25s are a little odd to me. Sellers have their prices all over the place and yet buyers are really only paying about $2K. Maybe because of the cover...it's just OK for me. I get that it's a throw-back. And maybe that's why. I've seen it before and it doesn't feel special.

Probably GOING to do it but WILL sell them together as a set. The 667 will obviously sell but the ASM #25 is not as much in demand, even in my 9.8 condition.. Together they should command a fair price.
Posted: November 23, 2017 6:37:20 pm
stormraider said:
JDR said:
mark71517 said:
And as I look at my 9.4 Del Otto 667 and my ASM #25 1:1000 9.8, I am a heart beat away from selling both as a set.....serious.
The only two people I've ever known that actually owned a 667 Dell'otto both constantly say how much they regret selling it...JDR

I don't. But if I did I sure as hell wouldn't sell it.

I've literally had dealers tell me the 667 Dell'otto will be a $50k book.

-J.
Posted: November 23, 2017 9:37:17 pm
JDR said:
stormraider said:
JDR said:
mark71517 said:
I don't. But if I did I sure as hell wouldn't sell it.I've literally had dealers tell me the 667 Dell'otto will be a $50k book.-J.

Wow. Shocked That is surprising. I automatically assumed you owned at least one of the 225 copies given your passion and knowledge of this comic.

Last edited November 23, 2017 9:40:27 pm
Posted: November 23, 2017 10:04:26 pm
stormraider said:
JDR said:
stormraider said:
JDR said:
mark71517 said:
I don't. But if I did I sure as hell wouldn't sell it.I've literally had dealers tell me the 667 Dell'otto will be a $50k book.-J.

Wow. Shocked That is surprising. I automatically assumed you owned at least one of the 225 copies given your passion and knowledge of this comic.

I blog about rare modern variants and the ASM 667 is always at the top of the list.

JDR

World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 42 years, 199 days, 13 hours of Run Time

Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home

Join World Community Grid today!

CBR App on Android
Newest Covers
  • Marvel Comics's Captain Marvel Issue # 126
  • Graphic India's Deepak Chopra's Beyond TPB # 1
  • Image Comics's Savage Dragon: Playmates Mini-Comics Issue nn (2)
  • BOOM! Studios's Snoopy: A Peanuts Collection Hard Cover # 1
Cool Statues