feature requests

Amazing Spiderman Completists May/June 2016 (Comic Book Forums)

• Amazing Spiderman Completists May/June 2016

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 2, 2016 12:00:11 pm
  • My two pence spider sense is that their will be a variant push later this year with the Dead No More/Clone Conspiracy timeline. NYCC should have something stewing. I'm preparing myself emotionally to hate Slott again with this storyline, if it pans out anything like the 90's clone abortions, but you never know.

The Spider-Women story line variants were pretty cool too, although I'm a biased fan of Stacey Lee's work for Silk.

Tough love on the past two weeks though for those ASM 15 variants. I took a two hour lunch and worked late after the 9am disaster at Aspen just to sit there and refresh 700 times and it paid off, able to nab the one set, which is what they were limiting it to by that time.

@Lizard, the 678 is the only modern I'm missing.
  • Posted: July 5, 2016 6:58:34 pm
  • Hi fungineer,

Congrats on owning the 667 Dell'Otto...that is a tough one. As for NYCC... I really can only see Comicxposure variant for that show and they're a dime a dozen.
  • Posted: July 6, 2016 9:25:50 am
  • Which brings up an interesting point. Are any of he store exclusives worth anything? Think about any title, any exclusive. I know people are selling or have sold the spidey 666 set but that is a different situation. just wondering if store exclusives ever seem to be sought after months or years later.
  • Posted: July 6, 2016 9:37:36 am
  • I'm not one to seek them. I have a few I got from a con or two and the midtown exclusive. I will not go out of my way or pay top dollar for one. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay IMO. I give credit to all those who have the complete set or close to it. That's allot of work.
  • Posted: July 6, 2016 9:53:51 am
  • I have found it is very rare for a store exclusive to increase in price after its release. I think a few of the J Scott Campbell ASM issues have gone up but I can't think of any others.

• Posted: July 11, 2016 9:02:38 am
  • stormraider said:
    stpck2001 said:
    Aspens Facebook is showing these variants as sold out now (within 24 hours!) :-( there are lots now on ebay, think it will be a waiting game like the gamestop variants! These started off at over $150 before settling down to a reasonable amount!

Anyone fool enough to pay those prices has too much money or just doesn't know anything about comics. Comics with print runs of 3,000 = $30.00 comics. I am out of the game and just buy one copy of Amazing Spider-Man. If there are multiple variant copies, I just buy the one that appeals to me the most. So far, it's mainly been the Alex Ross covers but a couple of the Dell'Otto ones re: "Volume 4". Very happy to state that I don't have any regrets and my pocket book is thanking me.Very Happy. Oh, as an aside, you will notice that all variant issues issued after ASM # 700 have not had any significant investment appreciation so if that's your motivation then you should buy high grade Silver Age instead.Applause tangledwebs has the right idea.
    tangledwebs said:
    Too rich for me. I'd rather have a vg+ or better silver age for that money.

I agree, I quit trying to get all the covers because this reason. The money you put in will never come out unless you find the one person in the world willing to pay for all those variants. In other words, a full set of #1-700 vs. #1-700 with all covers, the price difference wouldn't be enough to recover all your funds if you bought all the variants.

So then it was just "Well I can say I have them all, that's an accomplishment". Well in the days of the internet, that's not even that big of a deal anymore. If you have money, you can pretty much buy any comic you want. So it's not even much of a brag piece anymore [with some exceptions, I know the 666 and a few others are hard to find still].

So with all that in mind, I quit. I sold my #667 Del'Otto for $800 and don't regret a thing, especially since I picked it up for $70.

Last edited July 11, 2016 9:03:42 am
  • Posted: July 12, 2016 11:40:55 am
  • Got my email saying my Campbell covers for #15 have shipped. Sweet!
  • Posted: July 13, 2016 7:49:16 pm
  • Abysslord said:
    stormraider said:
    stpck2001 said:
    Aspens Facebook is showing these variants as sold out now (within 24 hours!) :-( there are lots now on ebay, think it will be a waiting game like the gamestop variants! These started off at over $150 before settling down to a reasonable amount!

Anyone fool enough to pay those prices has too much money or just doesn't know anything about comics. Comics with print runs of 3,000 = $30.00 comics. I am out of the game and just buy one copy of Amazing Spider-Man. If there are multiple variant copies, I just buy the one that appeals to me the most. So far, it's mainly been the Alex Ross covers but a couple of the Dell'Otto ones re: "Volume 4". Very happy to state that I don't have any regrets and my pocket book is thanking me.Very Happy. Oh, as an aside, you will notice that all variant issues issued after ASM # 700 have not had any significant investment appreciation so if that's your motivation then you should buy high grade Silver Age instead.Applause tangledwebs has the right idea.
    tangledwebs said:
    Too rich for me. I'd rather have a vg+ or better silver age for that money.

I agree, I quit trying to get all the covers because this reason. The money you put in will never come out unless you find the one person in the world willing to pay for all those variants. In other words, a full set of #1-700 vs. #1-700 with all covers, the price difference wouldn't be enough to recover all your funds if you bought all the variants.

So then it was just "Well I can say I have them all, that's an accomplishment". Well in the days of the internet, that's not even that big of a deal anymore. If you have money, you can pretty much buy any comic you want. So it's not even much of a brag piece anymore [with some exceptions, I know the 666 and a few others are hard to find still].

So with all that in mind, I quit. I sold my #667 Del'Otto for $800 and don't regret a thing, especially since I picked it up for $70.

It all depends on how "much" you spend on the variant. In your 667 Dell'Otto example, it was more than worth buying the variant cover. I used to "compare" myself to others in the hobby, but honestly I find that simply petty. Also, if you have a lot of $$ and can afford anything you want then that's great...I'm sure you have earned it OR even "if" born into $$ the world has always had a huge economic difference.

Me personally, I sold all of my comics except Spidey titles so collecting every cover is a lot more affordable. When that day comes where I walk away from collecting all together, I will choose to look back at these years of my life with fond memories moving to the next chapter. Nuff Said,
  • Posted: July 14, 2016 10:36:24 pm
  • LovetheLizard said:

It all depends on how "much" you spend on the variant. ,

Yes, individually for that comic. I mean if you add up all the money you spent on ALL the variants, say it's X, you probably can't sell your complete run plus the variants for "complete set price + X". So then it's just a personal collection thing which is fine, I just stated the reasons I dropped out.

Especially since I'm missing a lot below #100 still. I'd rather spend my money filling those in first.
  • Posted: July 22, 2016 4:03:20 pm
  • Looks like issue #15 has 5 variants of which 4 out of 5 are not cheap if you missed them. The Death of X Marvel variant is only a few dollars but both Aspen Michael Turner(color and Sketch) and the J Scott Campbell (color and sketch) could cost a few dollars.

Turner cover is very nice.
345 posts • Page 1 of 35
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Schanes & Schanes's Delicate Embrace Issue nn
  • Workman Publishing's Here I Am, I Am Me: An Illustrated Guide to Mental Health TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate X-Men Issue # 2f
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: First Class Issue # 10b