feature requests

New Record for the Amazing Spider Man 667 Dell'Otto? (Comic Book Forums)

• New Record for the Amazing Spider-Man 667 Dell'Otto?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 21, 2015 8:56:15 am
  • Just wanted to share this thread from the CGC forums where there was a private sale of a 9.8 CGC ASM 667 Dell'Otto variant.... http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8982733

I'm curious where this ranks among sales for a modern book? I really wish there was some way we could have a concrete number of total printed copies...
  • Posted: November 21, 2015 6:38:02 pm
  • This sale was just "Amazing".

• Posted: November 21, 2015 7:32:48 pm
  • joe_mccarty said:
    This sale was just "Amazing".

Brick wallBrick wallBrick wallBrick wallBrick wall
  • Posted: November 22, 2015 12:01:18 am
  • Anyone do this?

"I have recently completed the most comprehensive report to date, with citations, that explains the book's uncanny rarity. PM if curious."
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: November 22, 2015 11:37:15 am
  • dough boy said:
    Anyone do this?

"I have recently completed the most comprehensive report to date, with citations, that explains the book's uncanny rarity. PM if curious."

I was curious to see this report
  • Posted: November 23, 2015 7:42:58 am
  • You can pick up a G+ AF 15 or a decent #1 for that kind of money. Those would also be a smarter long term investment.
  • Posted: November 23, 2015 9:35:32 am
  • tangledwebs said:
    You can pick up a G+ AF 15 or a decent #1 for that kind of money. Those would also be a smarter long term investment.

Agreed.
  • Posted: November 23, 2015 3:07:06 pm
  • tangledwebs said:
    You can pick up a G+ AF 15 or a decent #1 for that kind of money. Those would also be a smarter long term investment.

I would like to see someone pick up a G+ AF 15 for $5K...Do you see the current prices for that book? These "collectors" already own those books, most likely in a much higher grade. While I too think that kind of $$ for a modern variant is crazy this hobby is very much divided as is our economic society.

Look at the Vader #1 Zdarsky 1:4999 variant for Star Wars and what that is bringing for a "raw" copy. Just saying...
  • Posted: November 23, 2015 3:08:25 pm
  • dough boy said:
    Anyone do this?

Hi DB,

I have and received his theory. To be respectful of the person I will PM you if interested.

Last edited November 23, 2015 3:08:53 pm
  • Posted: November 23, 2015 3:50:13 pm
  • LovetheLizard said:
    tangledwebs said:

I would like to see someone pick up a G+ AF 15 for $5K...Do you see the current prices for that book? These "collectors" already own those books, most likely in a much higher grade. While I too think that kind of $$ for a modern variant is crazy this hobby is very much divided as is our economic society.

Look at the Vader #1 Zdarsky 1:4999 variant for Star Wars and what that is bringing for a "raw" copy. Just saying...

I've seen #'1s in the vg- to vg+ range go for that kind of money. Maybe a stretch on the AF15. My point was to say that I'd spend the money on those iconic books that will only go up as opposed to the hot modern book at the time that will fluctuate.

Last edited November 23, 2015 3:51:26 pm
  • Posted: November 23, 2015 4:59:33 pm
  • Hi Tangled,

From an investment perspective coming from the "non-completionist" standpoint I fully agree with you. The funny thing is looking back, however, at even some of the old threads regarding the 667 Dell'Otto where people (myself included) replied that prices back then were ridiculous and that they would never sustain that value years from now.

Here we are ready to enter 2016 and the book is selling for over $2K raw and $5K in a 9.8. I do not think anyone could have ever predicted that.
  • Posted: November 23, 2015 9:30:36 pm
  • LovetheLizard said:
    dough boy said:
    Anyone do this?

Hi DB,

I have and received his theory. To be respectful of the person I will PM you if interested.
    Yup....that is fine. I would do it but I am not on CGC Boards.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: November 24, 2015 7:43:27 am
  • LovetheLizard said:
    Hi Tangled,

From an investment perspective coming from the "non-completionist" standpoint I fully agree with you. The funny thing is looking back, however, at even some of the old threads regarding the 667 Dell'Otto where people (myself included) replied that prices back then were ridiculous and that they would never sustain that value years from now.

Here we are ready to enter 2016 and the book is selling for over $2K raw and $5K in a 9.8. I do not think anyone could have ever predicted that.

As much as I don't want to believe it, I hear you on that. Remember when ASM #638 2nd print was the scarce book and people were shelling out hundreds for it? All of a sudden they popped out of the woodwork and the value shot down so fast. I saw one at a con in mint for $5. I was hoping the same (obviously not that cheap) for this one.
  • Posted: November 24, 2015 4:04:24 pm
  • I recall the 638, but we are talking apples and oranges and that was shortly after the release, not 4-1/2 years. Me personally, unless I see "concrete" proof from Marvel/Diamond (which will never happen) I will always be skeptical of total number of copies. I nor anyone can really say for sure what printed comics will be worth years down the road. I never personally collected for an investment, even though I know where your coming from and if dropping serious coin on a book should be thinking of your ROI.

Nonetheless, serious talk aside, I like the cover art very much for this particular book (book looks way better in person than a picture, IMO) and am happy to own one.
14 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Sofawolf Press's Anthrolations Issue # 6
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 6
  • Titan Comics's Forgotten Runes: Wizard's Cult Issue # 3c
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Comics Presents Issue # 166