feature requests

Crossovers anyone? (Comic Book Forums)

• Crossovers anyone?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 2, 2012 6:20:33 am
  • I posted this story in another thread...but, since it pertains to this category, thought I'd post it here for those who didn't see it elsewhere. I thought it even more appropriate to post the story again...for those who are going crazy trying to find all of the Marvel variant covers right now!

I've been out of the loop on what comics are out there now and what is trending. Most of my research and collecting are now done from home, since my main area of collecting is 20th Century books.

I have to say I was SHOCKED that the variants were still out of control...in fact, MORE out of control than in the 1990s! It is the variants that forced me to make my cutoff for my intercompany crossover collection at the end of 1999. Specifically, the bad girl crossovers that were coming out with ruby red, gold and omg, the infamous royal blue (limited to 100 copies) foil covers. I couldn't financially keep up with them anymore!

I just want to offer a little hope in this madness. In my small collection, I have many books that I thought at one time or other I would never find or be able to afford, if I did find them. I few years back, while playing around on comicspriceguide.com, I noticed a cover for Creed/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that I somehow missed when it came out in 1996...the subscriber hybred edition. It showed that it was limited to just 500 copies at the time. I did a LOT of online searching, phone calls, more searching. I was bothered to find out that Lightning Comics had long since folded up tent. I was able to get email addresses for Joseph and Steve Zyskowski, who had owned Lightning. Steve revealed in an email that there were 200...not 500 actually printed. He had an extra copy that he (tongue firmly planted in cheek) generously offered for a mere $500. Joe was good enough to offer his copy for that same generous amount. I kept calling shoips...asking for help and found a shop in Michigan where a guy new a guy who new a guy...I got it for $10 shipping, handling...everything.

I found a (6 known copies) Pow! Biff! Pops! when most stores and dealers were telling me it was an urban legand. It isn't now...but in 1996...people thought it was something that Kurt Busiek just made up! I recently found a Badrock/Wolverine ashcan that was limited to 500 copies and MOST recently, X-Men/WildC.A.T.s Dark Age, Michael Golden and Richard Bennett cover that I had long since been convinced was NEVER published.

We, as collectors (and especially us completionists) have been there before...and found that gem...must have book.

If you're chasing after ASM #700 or Avengers Vs X-Men alt covers...good hunting!

Last edited November 13, 2012 6:10:54 am
  • Posted: November 10, 2012 9:03:24 am
  • I wrote the following in the Justice League of America #1 has 52 variants thread and wanted to post it here also.

I commented on the number of variants in another thread...and blasted Marvel. Now...I'll blast DC. This is nuts! I have to say that I'm glad I don't actively collect anything that is out now. I love Justice League and have a modest collection. I actually have Justice League of America #1, as I also collect comic books with chess covers.

I'm 57 years old. I stopped buying comic books in 1970 at the age of 15. In 1995 I walked into a comic book store because I'd heard that DC and Marvel were going to be starting a series with battles between Supes and Hulk and Batman and Captain America...battles my brother and I debated on as kids!

From there...I found out about earlier DC/Marvel comics and decided to collect all DC/Marvel crossovers. When I had what I thought were all of those, I decided to collect ALL intercompany crossovers!

I soon learned about variant covers. They didn't have those when I was a kid. I'll never forget...it was when I noticed the Razor And Special (platinum edition). Remember...I still knew next to NOTHING about comic books between 1970 and 1995! I was in Eides comics in Pittsburgh. When I asked an employee why there was a different cover than the one I already had...he smiled. He explained about variant covers and told me to forget it, that I didn't want to get into that...it would be just a can of worms.

I put the book back and went home. I had a restless night. How could I forget that there was a crossover out there with a cover I didn't have. How could I just collect the main cover and NOT get the other covers. I realized I knew so little that I might buy a variant when I learned about a prior crossover, thinking it was the main cover...and then never buy the main cover! My brain hurt!!!

I decided I had to have ALL intercompany crossovers and ALL their variant covers. That was the only way to be sure I had EVERYTHING.

Jim...at Eides...was right. It WAS a can of worms!!!

What is nuts is...as crazy as it was trying to get them all...I see the current situation, with ASM #700, Avengers Vs X-Men and Justice League, etc., etc...as insane. Prior to 2000, there were two intercompany crossovers with 8 total covers each. That was the most EVER for crossovers! Also...there were two that had 7 total covers each.

It was alternate covers that forced me to cut my collection off at 12/99. I can see the day when someone tells me they have a comic book collection. I say to them, "Cool! What do you collect? How many books do you have?" And they say..."I have about 2000 books...actually...1 comic book...and 1,999 alternate covers!!!"

In case you're holding your breath wandering what the crossovers were that I referred to above...Pandora/Razor and Razor: The Ravening had 8 total covers each and Hellina/Double Impact and Vampirella Crossover Gallery had 7 total covers each! That was ALOT of covers back then. It gives new meaning to the phrase "the Good Old Days."
  • Posted: November 10, 2012 9:34:47 am
  • Oh those bad girls!
  • Posted: November 13, 2012 12:58:34 pm
  • Do you collect Crossovers between US and UK Comics? Mainly the UK Version?
    I have in my collection 2 Judge Dredd and Batman large size UK crossovers.
  • Posted: November 14, 2012 6:12:55 am
  • hush77hush...thanks for the question! The Batman/Judge Dredd crossovers that I have are:
    Batman/Judge Dredd Judgement on Gotham DC/Egmont Fleetway 1991
    Batman/Judge Dredd Vendetta in Gotham DC/Egmont Fleetway 1993
    Batman/Judge Dredd The Ultimate Riddle DC/Egmont Fleetway 1995
    Batman/Judge Dredd Die Laughing 1 DC/Egmont Fleetway 1998
    Batman/Judge Dredd Die Laughing 2 DC/Egmont Fleetway 1998

Are any of these the same as what you have? The Bats/Dredd crossovers are among the best ever done with great artwork and storylines...and 2 of the hardest headed heros around! Also, I collect misc. crossover "stuff" and one of my favorite items in my misc. category is a Batman/Judge Dredd mobile that stores were sent to hang up to promote the series.
  • Posted: November 14, 2012 7:19:21 am
  • Crossoverking said:
    hush77hush...thanks for the question! The Batman/Judge Dredd crossovers that I have are:
    Batman/Judge Dredd Judgement on Gotham DC/Egmont Fleetway 1991
    Batman/Judge Dredd Vendetta in Gotham DC/Egmont Fleetway 1993
    Batman/Judge Dredd The Ultimate Riddle DC/Egmont Fleetway 1995
    Batman/Judge Dredd Die Laughing 1 DC/Egmont Fleetway 1998
    Batman/Judge Dredd Die Laughing 2 DC/Egmont Fleetway 1998

Are any of these the same as what you have? The Bats/Dredd crossovers are among the best ever done with great artwork and storylines...and 2 of the hardest headed heros around! Also, I collect misc. crossover "stuff" and one of my favorite items in my misc. category is a Batman/Judge Dredd mobile that stores were sent to hang up to promote the series.

I am not sure which one they are will have to dig them out and have a look. I have the Vendetta and Judgment in the US comic book size format but I Prefer the larger UK comic book format the size make the artwork look amazing.
    Were there many US/UK inter-company crossovers?
  • Posted: November 14, 2012 2:17:14 pm
  • I'd love to see a larger size edition. Are they treasury size? I did a quick search. I don't know of any other UK publisher/US publisher intercompany crossover. Perhaps that could be a a whole new genre for someone.....inter country intercompany crossovers!
  • Posted: November 14, 2012 2:44:08 pm
  • The Pow! Biff! Pops! issue is one of my prized possessions too. I actually got mine from Kurt Busiek himself. I had emailed him a few times, and he new he had the book, but couldn't find it. Then one night I returned home from a Christmas party and had an email from him that his wife had found it. It was the most painful week or two waiting for it to arrive...but it did. Since then, I have personal knowledge of roughly a half dozen copies of the book. One friend has had 3 of them. I would guess there are likely a dozen copies out there.

My buddy has one of his extras up for sale right now at Heritage...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7066&lotNo=91370
  • Posted: November 15, 2012 3:15:40 am
  • Crossoverking said:
    I'd love to see a larger size edition. Are they treasury size? I did a quick search. I don't know of any other UK publisher/US publisher intercompany crossover. Perhaps that could be a a whole new genre for someone.....inter country intercompany crossovers!

I'm not to sure what that size is will try and find an image of it or a comic in the same size.
    There has got to be a Dennis the Menace crossover somewhere the UK and US Denis's in one comic.

Have just checked the size of them in google and the are 30cm by 25cm in size and one of the ones i have is called the Ultimate Riddle.

Last edited November 15, 2012 3:26:10 am
  • Posted: November 15, 2012 7:57:05 am
  • Hey all! Thanks for the posts. af15...I'm still fairly new here and don't know a lot of folks. May I guess that your first name is Todd?

Yes...Pow! Biff! Pops! is a prize and a half. Thank you for the link to the auction. I'm VERY surprised that it went for so little. I'm guessing it would go for at least triple that amount on ebay.

I was shocked that a site as prestigious as Heritage Auctions would be incorrect on the date of the Pow! Biff! [i]Pops!. The listing (and you in this forum) stated that the book was published in 1977. In fact, the book was sold at the opening night of the Boston Pops 1978 season...Tuesday May 28, 1978 (the concert started at 8PM). The evening was billed as Comic Heroes Night and...believe it or not...Biff/Bam Bananas were on the menu for intermission snacks!

Along with my copy, I have a copies of the menu and program and many other related materials. I only wish I'd been there!
368 posts • Page 1 of 37
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Penguin Workshop's A Who HQ TPB # 10
  • Archie Comics Group's Archie: High School Chronicles TPB # 2
  • Iron Circus Comics's Lackadaisy Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine Issue # 46illum-b