feature requests

G.I. Joe A Real American Hero #1 1982 (Comic Book Forums)

• G.I. Joe A Real American Hero #1 1982

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 5, 2021 12:55:41 am
  • Ok... just to more or less troll all these high selling comics, and with no real reason I can see, I listed my GI Joe #1 (newsstand) CGC 9.8 for $4000 (obscene I know) and it ended up selling for $3000! What in the world is going on!?!?
  • Posted: April 6, 2021 7:39:42 pm
  • well there are multiple reasons honestly.

1. Nostalgia, more and more of our generation of people are getting into comics now that it has arose in the fine art category...

2. Early 80's bronze age stuff in high grade is becoming rarer and rarer, same thing that happened to the silver age in the 90's roughly before the fallout. Just remember as kids we destroyed this stuff, didnt think of it as an investment, but rather a book to trace or rip pages out the stick on the wall, or even collages we needed to make for school...among thousands of other uses lol...a 9.8 is Extremely hard to get from the mid 80's and earlier, you are a comic shop, so you know...

3. G.I. Joe is an iconic toy, comic, and movie (multiple)...They still make these toys, though i would argue not quite as cool as when i was young lol...

4. TMNT, GI Joe, Transformers, among all the other cartoons' stuff is all rising. I think mainly now due to the stimulus and people can afford these higher valued things theyve wanted but didnt necessarily have the disposable income to do it...now they do (temporarily lol) and they are investing and getting something they love...

im sure there are even more reasons that i just cant come up with atm, but all valid plausible points...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: April 6, 2021 9:12:00 pm
  • Man that's pretty awesome. A few years ago when I was attending cons I actually came across a few women that were really into the classic GI Joe comics. One was a girl in her early 20s who was flipping through all the vendors boxes grabbing up every GI Joe she could find. Thought that was really cool.

Last edited April 6, 2021 9:12:20 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 6, 2021 9:36:20 pm
  • All of our kid toys and cartoons from our eras are becoming iconic and the younger collectors want what we have now, for the most part. They want the originals, and comics are super hott right now, same with trading cards and toys to some degree...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: April 11, 2021 11:07:50 pm
  • I had a long chat about exactly what you laid out, with my LCS owner, and he was surprised print runs are not playing into the prices as much as the sheer mass movement of demand on these certain comics.
  • Posted: April 12, 2021 8:17:09 pm
  • they could be, do you know what the print run of GI Joe from 1982 is? i do not lol...

i think one thing to keep in mind to kind of lay this out a bit better...Millennials are applying for mortgages lol...that is where their age range is now lol...that says it all lol

Last edited April 12, 2021 8:19:28 pm
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: April 18, 2021 12:57:27 pm
  • G. I. Joe: A Real American Hero (1982)
    Wow! I can't believe this comic fetched that much $. A month ago, this was $70. (NM) on CBR, now it's up to $175., I would have thought back when the G. I. Joe movies came out in '09 & '13 that the price might have spiked then. I know it's the 1st appearance of most of the main characters, but why the big jump now and why would anyone pay that much $ for a comic listed @ $175. even if it was a news stand edition. I'm baffled. I noticed there are 3 or 4 copies available for sale on CBR and over 70 people looking for copies, so I guess supply & demand plays into it big time and the old theory "When you see something you want, Buy It!"
  • Posted: May 27, 2021 12:39:07 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    Man that's pretty awesome. A few years ago when I was attending cons I actually came across a few women that were really into the classic GI Joe comics. One was a girl in her early 20s who was flipping through all the vendors boxes grabbing up every GI Joe she could find. Thought that was really cool.

When I sell comics at the flea market to trim down my collection from time to time in the summer (stack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap. . .everything for a buck!), I've noticed the same thing. A lot of women ask about G.I. Joe comics.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Catwoman Issue # 64f
  • Square Enix Manga's Otherside Picnic Soft Cover # 9
  • Ablaze Media's The Prism Issue # 7c
  • Marvel Comics's The Spectacular Spider-Men Issue # 2e