feature requests

Usagi Yojimbo #1 (Comic Book Forums)

• Usagi Yojimbo #1

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 20, 2021 3:36:30 pm
  • This has always been a favorite series of mine - I've been selling most of my comics over the last year+ and am just getting around to these and the prices for #1 are pretty wild now.

Kind of weird the effect that a movie/TV show/etc can make the prices jump so much...
  • Posted: March 20, 2021 7:22:16 pm
  • I didn't know there was a movie/show out, where can one watch it?

I have my copy en route to CGC right now to get graded. I'm not a graded book kind of guy but I thought it would be nice to get this one encapsulated. It is in pretty nice shape, I'm hoping it will get around a 9.2...

I wish had the type of money to afford his 1st appearance, let alone even find a copy for sale. Low print run.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: March 20, 2021 8:06:18 pm
  • it is not out yet as far as i know...maybe hes talking about the speculation side...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: March 20, 2021 9:55:22 pm
  • yeah, its not out yet but apparently a Netlix show is forthcoming. Not sure what to think/expect as far as that goes. Usagi is a great character and i hope they try to do him justice.

i sold a #1 a year or so ago for $25. I have one more and see it selling for over $175
  • Posted: April 1, 2021 9:59:50 am
  • Pretty cool. I remember posting a thread about the upcoming animated series last year on here. https://comicbookrealm.com/topic/22/32577/usagi-yojimbo-animated-series-in-development

I will be holding on to my #1 for a while. I got it signed by Stan Sakai when he came to Heroes Con. If I remember correctly I think I paid around $25-30 for it. But that was years ago.

Last edited April 1, 2021 10:01:47 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 1, 2021 4:32:16 pm
  • yeah, i think i'll keep mine also - not so much in hopes it will reach even higher prices, i just like the cover!

i've sold nearly my entire collection over the last year + but have held onto about 100 "special" ones - either for nostalgic reasons or cover art grabs me, etc.

it was very strange at first but now that i'm nearly finished selling i feel ok about it. didn't really have a choice as i'm moving out of the US in the near future and simply too expensive and risky to ship it all. that said, i've been able to make some nice sales.
  • Posted: April 5, 2021 12:50:16 am
  • Last year I got a copy for free from a friend just cleaning out their house, no joke, this copy is gorgeous! I originally thought it was a comic that had no big following and would not sell for much... but now I’m going to send it in!
  • Posted: April 5, 2021 5:54:43 pm
  • Its had a strong, loyal following for a long time, the Netflix buzz is making the prices go wild.
  • Posted: April 6, 2021 1:04:10 pm
  • After this thread started I watched a few of them on Ebay and just a few days ago one sold for $450. I believe it's going to continue to rise. With all the wokeness going on with DC/Marvel right now a lot of readers are getting fed up and looking for something different to get into. Right now independent titles are doing really well and since Usagi Yojimbo started publishing with IDW, it's gained an influx of new fans.

Last edited April 6, 2021 9:15:13 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 6, 2021 10:25:59 pm
  • Usagi and Stan Sakai have seen numerous publisher changes but the series has always been the same (in a good way). Stan's simple yet delicate art and the storytelling/folklore/tradition will always win over fans because it is an honest, pure, and well crafted book.

That said, its been around for ages and up until recently pretty undervalued or essentially "non-collectable" if you were concerned about what its monetary value may be one day. so weird what the movies/tv shows are doing to prices.
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Keenspot Entertainment's Biden's Titans vs Trump's Titans Issue # 1h
  • Dark Horse Comics's Dudley Datson and the Forever Machine Issue # 1
  • Mad Cave Studios's Love Me: A Romance Story Issue # 1b
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: First Class Issue # 7b