feature requests

The Walking Dead #192 (Comic Book Forums)

• The Walking Dead #192

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 7, 2019 9:47:21 am
  • Went to my LCS yesterday to pick up new books and wanted to get a copy of this since it is a pretty big deal and he has them priced at $15 straight out of the shipping box to the shelf. Although if it's part of your subscriptions/pull list you only pay regular price(I don't subscribe to TWD). He did it for most of the Immortal Hulk run also. I told him no thanks, I'm all set.

Does anyone else's LCS do this? Is this normal? Thoughts?

nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: June 7, 2019 12:27:57 pm
  • I don't follow TWD but that sounds like robbery to me. I'd politely tell him I will be taking my business elsewhere. You could probably find that issue online for cheaper.

Just did a quick search to see what #192 was all about. So it's Rick Grimes death. From someone who has been a long time collector my advice is skip it. Or if you really want it in your collection then wait it out. Character deaths are all the hype when they first come out but then they drop in price and fans lose interest. Anyone remember Donatello's death (TMNT)? TMNT #44. It was selling for nearly $200 when it first released. I am finding those issues now for less than $5. Superman #75 is another great example. Granted both those characters eventually came back. But I bet you years from now Kirkman writes future books with Rick Grimes and they'll be known to have taken place within the time frame when he was alive. When a character hits cult status it's hard to completely wipe him out. , Marvel is doing a Symbiote Spider-Man mini series right now that's suppose to have taken place when Spidey had the black costume. It happens.

Character deaths are usually a way to boost sales. I'm more interested in first appearances.

Last edited June 7, 2019 12:33:01 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 7, 2019 4:19:07 pm
  • I'm with Rapha1978.
    Pull and Hold keeps LCS in business!!!! If they treat you poorly or blatantly rip you off, go somewhere else. All new books should hit the shelf first, before skyrocketing in price.
  • Posted: June 11, 2019 2:42:06 am
  • I subscribe to Walking Dead, but I haven't picked up my hold for a couple of weeks.

I haven't been gouged by my comic shop yet, but they DID sort of shaft my daughter on "Naomi" #1. She picks up her hold about once a month and even though it was on her hold list, they claimed to have "forgotten" it an offered her a copy at a jacked up price when she pointed out it was missing. She just passed it off as "Strike One" and picks up her hold bi-weekly with me now.

They've also conveniently "forgotten" a few issues of Immortal Hulk in my hold.
    If they try that with me on this Walking Dead issue, that's "Strike Two" because I don't care much about the "value" but I want to be able to read the story without paying investor price for an issue of a series I'm subscribed to.

Three strikes and we'll be looking for another comic shop to give our business to. Pulling stuff that's gone up in value from subscriber holds is just shady.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: June 11, 2019 7:46:20 pm
  • I would stop going to any LCS that charged more than cover price for a regular issue that came out that day. The only caveat to that is one local shop prices their incentives according to what it is, ie: 1:10 is $10, 1:50 is $50 and so on.
  • Posted: June 11, 2019 8:15:01 pm
  • i dont believe they are allowed to actually do that via their Diamond agreement. I could be wrong, but i vaguely remember a conversation i had years ago about this subject. I think they have to make it cover for at least a day or so before raising the price...at the same time...i could be wrong and misunderstanding that years old conversation...unsure

As for that comic shop owner...F him in the A...lol i would never go back there and support his business again...id rather buy it on ebay then deal with that...There are other comic shops around...though possibly inconvenient or further away...but id rather support the honest shops, and help keep them around.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: July 3, 2019 12:12:35 pm
  • Just got back from my LCS and he is doing the same thing for the newest and last issue of TWD. $15 from the shipping box to shelf, I passed again.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
  • Posted: July 3, 2019 2:26:00 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:
    Just got back from my LCS and he is doing the same thing for the newest and last issue of TWD. $15 from the shipping box to shelf, I passed again.

I heard about #193 being the last issue. I guess Kirkman realized that TWD without Rick Grimes just doesn't hold up well. Ridiculous that stores are doing that to customers by the way.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 3, 2019 2:38:10 pm
  • Get out now!! No one deserves that kind of treatment from a loyal customer. Find somewhere else to spend your hard-earned money on comic books.
  • Posted: July 3, 2019 3:09:21 pm
  • brucifer said:
    Get out now!! No one deserves that kind of treatment from a loyal customer. Find somewhere else to spend your hard-earned money on comic books.
    It's really the only comic store in my area unless I want to drive over an hour to go to a different place or do an online subscription. I'm kind of handcuffed where I am.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
  • Posted: July 3, 2019 4:55:49 pm
  • id rather do an online subscription then help that douche make money (excuse my English lol)...at least with online subs if it comes damaged you can read it and return it and get a better copy in return...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: July 3, 2019 9:28:35 pm
  • MacheteF7
    Just like AmZoMBiE said, there are other ways to get your comic book fix. Digital books, subscription, EBay (shudder) and a few others are at your fingertips. It doesn't have to be a close location to be worth your while.
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 1
  • DC Comics's Batman: Off-World Issue # 4d
  • Yen Press's I Kept Pressing the 100-Million-Year Button and Came Out on Top Soft Cover # 5
  • Yen Press's Mieruko-Chan Soft Cover # 9