feature requests

Guardian's Related Pricing Question SPOILER ALERT (Ref to GOTG 2) (Comic Book Forums)

• Guardian's Related Pricing Question - SPOILER ALERT (Ref to GOTG 2)

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 7, 2017 8:20:04 pm
  • How is it that Strange Tales 180 is listed at $175 and Avengers 112 is at $300. Seems a little out of whack to me, as I would think Gamora would be the more popular character than Mantis. Something else going on in Avengers that would warrant the price?

What do you think about the value of Adam Warlock appearances as well? I have been a fan for years and have most appearances. Wonder if they will escalate given the teaser in the new movie. They have escalated for some time, not sure if they have room to run at this point. FF 67 actually went DOWN in value in the last price update. Thor 165 went UP. Is this now considered the first appearance of Warlock? I know this was hashed out awhile ago, just wondering about the pricing changes.
  • Posted: May 16, 2017 6:23:07 pm
  • my opinon....

Avengers 112 is an older book (by 2 years- '73 vs '75) and probably has had more collectors seeking it over the years....not necessarily because of Mantis but because it's an Avengers book. But now you have a new set of people seeking it out and the high copies are limited. Strange tales on the other hand was pretty worthless until Gamora appeared in the Guardians films. It took me a lot longer to hunt down a high grade Avengers 112 than it did Strange tales 180.

Adam Warlock has been spec'd for years now and I don't think there's necessarily as much room for growth in his books anymore. I think people were drawn to his cover appearance of Thor 165 and he being featured throughout the story. FF67 while technically his first appearance is brief at the end. It's another Hulk 180 vs 181 brief appearance vs full appearance. The market prefers the full appearance with the character on the cover. I get it.
  • Posted: May 16, 2017 7:23:12 pm
  • there was an adam warlock surge around the beginning of last year and the end of the year prior...i believe you can look at the pricing history (unless thats a mod only thing) it would be the button next to the price in the about page (the about page on the right).

as for the gamora/mantis...both prices have already been updated per overstreet...which (as i said when i post in aug '16) that the prices may change on some books because overstreet typically prices cautiously on older books...Gamora is a "newly" found and promoted character where Mantis really has quite a big history with the avengers and even FF4...Now im not saying that that is why she is more popular as the pricing may suggest...i truely believe as GCH said that its a matter of which is actually harder to find...Avengers being the bigger named book would definately be more sought after by completionists for that fact alone...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • IDW Publishing's Golgotha Motor Mountain Issue # 2b
  • Yen Press's I'm Quitting Heroing Soft Cover # 5
  • Image Comics's Kid Cudi Presents: Moon Man Issue # 2b
  • Marvel Comics's The Very Best of Dennis the Menace Issue # 2error