lifetime member Location: Boston, MA
- Posted: November 3, 2015 9:41:54 am
- There seems to be quite a few new series coming out recently that are really starting to heat up. I have been doing my best to keep up with them but there are so many low print runs it has been difficult to get things for cover price. I have read the ones that I already have and I am pretty impressed with the quality of the books, art and stories.
Here is a list of some of the newer releases by publisher that are starting to heat up or are already scorching!
Black Mask Studios: While they do have a couple not so great series out there, they also have some pretty incredible series. High quality books with some great concepts for stories.
- We Can Never Go Home #1-4 - I am pretty sure that most everyone has at least heard of this series by now if not read it. The story seems like the sort of fantasy that most comic collectors dream of when they are in their teens, which is why I feel it is so popular. I was lucky enough to get a first printing of #1 back in August for $20. And then I got it signed at the Boston Comic-Con by Matt Rosenberg. Unsigned copies are hovering around $100 right now. Black Mask did a ton of cool variants for this series with music based themes.
- Young Terrorists #1 - This one had a ton of hype before it came out and sold out pretty fast. Then it seemed to quiet down. The story seemed like it was going to be good to me but it still seems early to know for sure. I mean the first few pages alone definitely grabbed my attention.
- Clandestino #1 - There was a fairly low print run for this series and copies of #1 are going for $8-10 right now on EBay. While the first issue wasn't draw dropping for me, it did leave me wanting more and feeling that the story could go in a really good direction.
451 Media Group: High Quality books with low print runs, good art and great stories. Spearheaded by Michael Bay and using Touchcode technology from T+ink, the ink used in the printing process will enable readers to use their touch-screen-enabled devices to unlock exclusive content. These books are being sold out weeks before their release dates. From the series I have read so far, it seems obvious that some of these stories will eventually move to the big screen.
- Sunflower #1 - I loved this first issue that came out a couple weeks ago. I cannot wait for this series to continue. Copies are already going for double to triple cover price.
- Self Storage #1 - I read this one last night and really enjoyed it as well. Great set up for what's to come with this story.
- ExMortis #1 - This comes out this week, is already sold out and is already gaining traction on line. Dracula, Wolf-Man, Gill-Man, The Phantom and Frankenstein vs. The Nazis? Yes please!
After Shock Comics: To me this seems like a publisher to keep our eyes on. While they haven't released any of their new series yet, they seem to have compiled a pretty strong team of writers, artists and execs. Garth Ennis, Amanda Conner, Paul Jenkins, Marguerite Bennett and more. Seriously the list goes on and on.
- Replica #1 - Debuting December 1 from writer Paul Jenkins (Batman: The Dark Knight, Spider-Man, Wolverine: Origin) and artist Andy Clarke (Batman, Judge Dredd)
- InSeXts #1 - Debuting December 9 from writer Marguerite Bennett (Batgirl, Sleepy Hollow, A-Force) and artist Ariela Kristantina (Wolverines, Deep State) - Bennett has described it as a “vicious erotic horror story,” which makes it the most intriguing title of the whole lot by far.
- SuperZero #1 - Debuting December 16 from writers Amanda Conner (Harley Quinn) and Jimmy Palmiotti (Deadpool, Jonah Hex, Daredevil), and artist Rafael de Latorre
- Dreaming Eagles #1 - Debuting December 30 from Garth Ennis and Simon Coleby (2000 AD, The Authority)