feature requests

Captain Atom 83 1st Ted Kord Blue Beetle (Comic Book Forums)

• Captain Atom 83 - 1st Ted Kord Blue Beetle

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 19, 2015 9:59:21 am
  • A) this is a rare comic in general as is the case with most of the original Charlton comics...

B) this is the first appearance of the man that became synonymous with Blue Beetle for everyone.

C) Originally, it was stated by CW execs that the "Ray Palmer/A.T.O.M." character was going to be Ted Kord, and Kord Industries as well as Blue Beetle, but when they approached the WB heads, they were informed that they had other serious long term plans for him, and that he was off limits, kind of like what they did the Arrow's "Suicide Squad iteration, informing them to write the team out. (Speculations Begin)

D) As a rare book from a rare piece of comic history when ever a copy of this does in fact pop up for sale at some LCS or even on eBay it ends up going for well over a hundred dollars, as in guide lists this comic book at $45.00 for near mint, but the last decent copy that came around for sale was a copy that went for multiples of that grade range guide amount. Even the Modern comic Reprint of this sells for 20 to 50 depending on condition...

Can we get some recognition for this hot, valuable, and IMPORTANT treasure???

Last edited June 20, 2015 7:51:31 am
  • Posted: June 20, 2015 2:50:05 am
  • I believe there is a forum section called "Price check on Aisle X" or something like that down below. I think that is where this post belongs. Great job bringing this to light!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 20, 2015 7:42:34 am
  • Sorry, thought of it as Hot Item when taking into account the Warner Brothers response
  • Posted: June 23, 2015 10:02:27 pm
  • I can see why this is in here. There does seem to be a recent smattering of articles I have seen mentioning this issue. I do not think that it is a request to 'edit' any of the information per se.

It does appear to be getting some traction. I am thinking it is tied into the growing swell of interest in Booster Gold. He and Beetle were definitely highlights in the fantastic Justice League series in the 80s. Beyond that, though, I am not familiar with what WB has been saying?

@Azzorox - can you elaborate on the WB response? I am curious as I have a copy of the book. Nothing in spectacular condition, maybe 7.0, but I do like the character. I stumbled across it buried in the bins at my LCS and snagged it for $14 about six months ago. I had never seen / heard of it, but I thought if it is a first appearance of BB then I should at least get a copy Smile

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: June 24, 2015 2:26:02 am
  • @Azzorox: That was a poor job by me. I never meant to imply that the book isn't hot, nor should it be in this section. My poorly worded reply was meant to answer your point about the value of the book, which is where I suggested you take it and where you did.
    Discussing the book here is always valid and welcome as far as I am concerned. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise, unless they are one of the moderators.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 24, 2015 8:53:42 am
  • Azzorox said:
    here are a few threads, most mention same thing about Arrows Ray Palmer originally planned as Ted Kord...

Thank you kindly for passing these along! I look forward to checking them out Smile

- Craig Coffman
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 41
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 5
  • Andrews McMeel Publishing's Full of Myself: A Graphic Memoir About Body Image Soft Cover # 1
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Smyths Issue # 1