feature requests

Previews "Five Hot Comic Books From 2013" list. (Comic Book Forums)

• Previews "Five Hot Comic Books From 2013" list.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 30, 2013 6:17:04 pm
  • I took a minute to check out this list of titles that "Stood Out" that was put together by Previews. You can read it for yourself at previewsworld.com. The list includes:

The Star Wars #1
    Forever Evil #1
    Locke and Key: Alpha #2
    The Walking Dead #115
    The Superior Spider-Man #1

I am curious what their criteria was as there are some possibilities that could have replaced a couple of these titles in my book.

Some issues that are worthy of consideration:

Helheim #1 (Oni Press)
    Injustice: Gods Among Us #1 (DC Comics)
    Last of Us #1 (Dark Horse Comics)
    East of West #1 (Image Comics)
    Uber #1 (Avatar Comics)
    Guardians of the Galaxy #1 (Marvel Comics)

I'm sure there are others but these came to mind, not because the series are good per se but mainly due to the initial anticipation of the series and/or quick "sell-out' of the issues.

Last edited December 30, 2013 9:17:49 pm
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: December 30, 2013 9:50:35 pm
  • I would add Black Science to that list
  • Posted: December 31, 2013 11:01:06 am
  • The Star Wars is awful.
  • Posted: December 31, 2013 12:00:44 pm
  • Those books that Diamond says "Stood out"?? ALL had VERY high print numbers, and MOST are still available from Diamond(technically, Superior is still available, but not 1st printing). Coincidence? Or end-of-year sales push?? You decide...

As far as the books I think stood out- East of West, Saga, Batman, Farlaine the Goblin, Revival, Five Ghosts, Nova, Thor of Thunder, Captain America, Hawkeye, All-Star Western, Scam, Walking Dead, Mocking Dead, Afterlife with Archie(Possibly my favorite title to debut this year-what a fun read!!), Trillium, Coffin HIll, Collider/FBP, The Wake, Number Cruncher, Dept of Monsterology, Death Sentence, Lunita, Black Science, It Came...it was a banner year for non-Marvel and DC titles.

Most, if not all of the Marvel books not listed here(with the exception of Dexter) were a disappointment-Infinity, Age of Ultron, all the crossovers and tie-ins...just leave me alone Marvel. Stop squeezing me for every penny I have with recycled stories and twice-a-month releases and "BIG EVENT!!" nonsense that doesn't even matter anymore. DC, don't you start that too(whooops, too late...) and Image(IDW, Dark Horse, Small Indie companies)...keep provided an avenue for innovative creators to get their stuff seen and read by the masses.

Comments? Feedback??

• Posted: December 31, 2013 2:59:29 pm
  • Not to be outdone, Comic Book Resources has issued their Top 10 comics of 2013. I am reading 4 of the 10 (in bold) and a couple I have never heard of.

10. Boxers and Saints (First Second Books)
    9. Daredevil (Marvel Comics)
    8. The Wake (DC Comics)
    7. East of West (Image Comics)
    6. Battling Boy (First Second Books)
    5. Young Avengers (Marvel Comics)
    4. Lazarus (Image Comics)
    3. March: Book One (Top Shelf Productions)
    2. Saga (Image Comics)
    1. Hawkeye (Marvel Comics)

fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: January 1, 2014 12:25:22 pm
  • Kurtlove666 said:
    Those books that Diamond says "Stood out"?? ALL had VERY high print numbers, and MOST are still available from Diamond(technically, Superior is still available, but not 1st printing). Coincidence? Or end-of-year sales push?? You decide...

As far as the books I think stood out- East of West, Saga, Batman, Farlaine the Goblin, Revival, Five Ghosts, Nova, Thor of Thunder, Captain America, Hawkeye, All-Star Western, Scam, Walking Dead, Mocking Dead, Afterlife with Archie(Possibly my favorite title to debut this year-what a fun read!!), Trillium, Coffin HIll, Collider/FBP, The Wake, Number Cruncher, Dept of Monsterology, Death Sentence, Lunita, Black Science, It Came...it was a banner year for non-Marvel and DC titles.

Most, if not all of the Marvel books not listed here(with the exception of Dexter) were a disappointment-Infinity, Age of Ultron, all the crossovers and tie-ins...just leave me alone Marvel. Stop squeezing me for every penny I have with recycled stories and twice-a-month releases and "BIG EVENT!!" nonsense that doesn't even matter anymore. DC, don't you start that too(whooops, too late...) and Image(IDW, Dark Horse, Small Indie companies)...keep provided an avenue for innovative creators to get their stuff seen and read by the masses.

Comments? Feedback??

I totally agree with this post. I'm really enjoying the bolded titles. Image was on fire last year. I need to try Black Science.

Last edited January 1, 2014 12:26:09 pm
  • Posted: January 1, 2014 3:08:35 pm
  • I disagree with saying Marvel isnt doing well. Infinity was a great event (although I agree with AoU being too long). Marvel is putting out a lot of quality reads.
  • Posted: January 1, 2014 4:55:50 pm
  • Tex75455 said:
    I disagree with saying Marvel isnt doing well. Infinity was a great event (although I agree with AoU being too long). Marvel is putting out a lot of quality reads.

I agree that Marvel is putting out a lot of quality reads. Think lots of readers were frustrated with the renumbering, and just stopped reading Marvel comics, hoping to send them a message. But, they are continuing to put out good quality comics!
  • Posted: January 2, 2014 10:07:40 pm
  • I think people focus too much on the big name marvels, which continue to tread water or be the same thing, because the characters are too used now (wolverine being in nine books, etc).

THe best books to me have been some of the no name ones that people were surprised even got green lit: X Men Legacy, Scarlet Spider, Avengers Arena, Hawkeye, Thor... I think those are my top five from Marvel at the moment, and only one of them focuses on a big hero with big name recognition (I will miss Scarlet Spider, and Legacy when it ends as it probably will soon)
  • Posted: January 5, 2014 2:04:31 pm
  • I got the first two issues of "The Star Wars" and it was a lot more muddled and confusing than I was expecting. I knew it was going to be campy, since Lucas primarily cited Flash Gordon serials as his inspiration, but it just didn't keep my interest, as I was hoping to wax nostalgic with it.
    You also listed Helheim, and I was hoping it would be awesome, black magic sorcery and vikings, win-win right? It definitely delivered both, but was kind of boring low fantasy meh. I have heard a lot of people criticize Cullen Bunn, and the only thing I think I have ever read by him was a few of the Sixth Gun's; they were OK, I thought. Maybe when it picks up again, it will flesh out more.

A lot of people, a lot are talking about how good this new Thor series is. I stopped at 10 or so, has it improved since then, or is it essentially the same. It wasn't bad, I just felt like the whole anti- villain had been done before. I'm a huge Thor fan so I"ll probably end up picking up a lot of ebay eventually though.
14 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 124 days, 10 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Darkhold: Black Bolt Issue # 1e
  • Epic Comics's Espers Issue # 1
  • Behemoth Entertainment LLC's Pop Star Assassin Issue # 2d
  • Murray Comics's Super Heroes Album Issue # 16