feature requests

Iron Man #55 . . . without complete cover (Comic Book Forums)

• Iron Man #55 . . . without complete cover

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 23, 2013 12:55:01 pm
  • Can't really agrue about it somebody paid 500 dollars for a no grade comic page of the first appearance of joker and i bought a long time ago a copy of giant size xmen 1 no cover for 5 bucks so yeah its worth something but not whole lot
  • Posted: October 23, 2013 6:22:30 pm
  • Thanks for all the replies.

Souldog29ca said:
    I actually saw a coverless copy of Iron Man #55 with a scanned cover of the original art for #55 incorporated into the original book attached with starting bids for $59(? i think?) selling on Ebay. I do know that there are people out there who do buy certain pages of comics and rebuild original issues by buying pages from other original issues and basically frankensteining them into a complete issue. I believe CGC ranks this as a "restored grade" book. IMO, those still sell and if I were you, I'd hang onto the issue without the cover and go that route. It's an awesome book and is on my list of issues of Iron Man to pick up. , I'd buy it off of you! :p

Yeah, I also saw that eBay listing! Someone had a coverless copy but were selling it with a printed out cover that they just fit around the comic. lol. It SOLD by the way, for $59.99.

I would think that my copy with 3/4s of a cover would be worth more, right?

I know it's kind of a funny situation. I actually have been studying eBay listings lately, and I've seen a ton of coverless comics from 50-60 years ago sell for around $20-$30.

On the other hand, yeah I fully realize that by legit, strict standards my copy of Iron Man #55 would probably be a 0.5.

I guess it all comes down to what people who don't care about grading are willing to pay. It doesn't surprise me in the least that a coverless first appearance of the Joker would sell for half a grand. I bet there are a LOT of people out there who would pay even more for that, simply because they're attached to the character and would never sell the comic themselves anyway.

I even remember seeing a story a year or so ago about a STAPLE from Amazing Fantasy #15 selling for $1000 on eBay. NUTS.

SteveC said:
    I don't think your close to a F / VF grade with half a cover...

Yeah, I know. I just meant that the body of the issue, in and of itself, looks to be in F/VF condition

I'm probably just going to wait till the Guardians of the Galaxy movie comes out (assuming Thanos IS in that movie in a significant way) and then put it on eBay with a minimum bid of at least $60. No idea yet if I would print out a scan of the real cover and offer that along with the real issue. Doing that would just make me feel silly, but maybe a buyer would want that?!

If it doesn't sell, no big deal. I like Thanos a fair amount myself, have no other version of Iron Man #55 to read, and the comic didn't cost me anything in the first place.

Last edited October 23, 2013 6:24:08 pm
  • Posted: October 23, 2013 6:33:45 pm
  • Some of us around here have discussed that staple auction when it happened. I dont think it actually sold. How would you actually know its from AF 15 anyway. Ridiculous auction.
  • Posted: January 11, 2014 9:10:37 am
  • i have a giant sized xmen #! missing the cover and front page...i wanna find the cover and page but no one on ebay has a crummy copy Sad
15 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 347 days, 17 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Stone Arch Press's DC Super Hero Fairy Tales: Black Canary and the Three Bad Bears TPB # 1
  • Titan Comics's Horizon: Zero Dawn Issue # 2e
  • Kenny Moran Comix's Lil Elzonian Spacenaut Issue # 0
  • Idaho Comics Group's Tarzan and the Comics of Idaho Issue # 3