feature requests

Iron Man #55 . . . without complete cover (Comic Book Forums)

• Iron Man #55 . . . without complete cover

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 12, 2013 7:42:09 pm
  • I scored a copy of Thanos' first appearance today at my LCS. Didn't pay a penny for it either. Yeah, my LCS owner is a of a nice guy.

There's only one problem: The comic doesn't have a cover. Actually, it has ALL of the back cover and MOST of the front cover. But the top part of the front cover, where the title and issue number is, has been neatly cut out with scissors. Apparently this is what used to happen with unsold copies. The LCS owner just received three huuuuge longboxes full of great Silver Age comics... but all of them have their covers snipped this way.

Any idea what sort of condition grade a comic like that should receive?

I'm definitely not looking to sell it right now. Even if a comic like this only rates a 1.0 (though it's perfectly readable and would probably rate F+ or VF- otherwise), I'm thinking that it's still worth hanging onto.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
  • Posted: October 12, 2013 9:04:29 pm
  • It's a 0.
  • Posted: October 12, 2013 11:23:20 pm
  • I don't think your close to a F / VF grade with half a cover... IMO only thing those comics are good for is reading.

Last edited October 13, 2013 1:13:06 am

• Posted: October 13, 2013 12:15:37 am
  • I would consider it a incomplete book and grade at a .5, but makes for a great read.
    Looking for TMNT v1 first prints #3,5,6 Whoo Hoo!!!
    not selling anything
  • Posted: October 14, 2013 10:03:35 am
  • Consider it a cover less copy with a bonus, or a .5 grade. Although low value compared with a complete copy, it could still have value. If you check eBay you'll possibly see someone selling individual pages from an Amazing Fantasy 15 for $300+ per page.

Book lists at $7 in .5, but you might get more from a buyer really wanting that issue.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: October 15, 2013 4:05:44 am
  • I actually saw a coverless copy of Iron Man #55 with a scanned cover of the original art for #55 incorporated into the original book attached with starting bids for $59(? i think?) selling on Ebay. I do know that there are people out there who do buy certain pages of comics and rebuild original issues by buying pages from other original issues and basically frankensteining them into a complete issue. I believe CGC ranks this as a "restored grade" book. IMO, those still sell and if I were you, I'd hang onto the issue without the cover and go that route. It's an awesome book and is on my list of issues of Iron Man to pick up. , I'd buy it off of you! :p
    Some kitties aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some cats just want to watch the world burn.... Dum dum dummmm!!!
  • Posted: October 17, 2013 11:15:42 am
  • I'd use it as a reader until I found a great copy and leave it untouched.
  • Posted: October 18, 2013 12:11:34 am
  • Like most already said, just enjoy it. With that section of cover missing most of the value has gone out of it. You might be able to find someone willing to buy it but you get that much. I have a copy of Action Comics #252 that I picked up for $20. It's coverless and is ripped about half way through. I wanted it though because of it's significance (1st Supergirl) and the cool factor. I'll probably never own a nice copy but I have this one that I was able to read.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: October 18, 2013 5:43:11 pm
  • I don't think you can simply claim it to be worth nothing. Somewhere...someone is willing to pay for it. Thus, I think it has a minimum grading of 0.5
    I'm not saying....I'm just saying...
  • Posted: October 18, 2013 6:59:48 pm
  • Manbat said:
    I don't think you can simply claim it to be worth nothing. Somewhere...someone is willing to pay for it. Thus, I think it has a minimum grading of 0.5

That's true, someone will buy a ketchup flavored ice cream cone if they prefer the taste.

One guy throws away, one guy sells on ebay..............go figure!!
    John Owens
    "I'm looking to complete my collection of The Maxx from Image comics ( 1993-1998 )."
15 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 95 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Color Your Own: Wolverine Soft Cover # 1
  • Anglo-American Publishing Co.'s Grand Slam Comics Issue # 21
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters Issue # 1frankies-a
  • IDW Publishing's Transformers Issue # 37ri