feature requests

new to comics need some advice (Comic Book Forums)

• new to comics need some advice

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 9, 2013 12:00:10 pm
  • Hi im pretty new to comics I live in england and always wanted to collect comics when I was younger but never had the chance. Now I got that chance and was wondering what's worth collecting.
    Ideally I would like to collect from issue 1 so its got to be a newish comic so I dont have to buy loads to start from 1 and then catch up to current issue.
    I was thinking earth 2 or maybe the amazing xmen when it comes out in nov
    Any helo would be great thanks
    Jake
  • Posted: October 9, 2013 1:45:52 pm
  • Welcome to the realm Jake.

As you may or may not know, both Marvel and DC just re-booted most if not all there titles from issue #1 a few years ago so you won't have to go back that far.
    My suggestion is to buy or try what you may like that's on the shelf now and go from there.
    Also Image is putting out a lot of good stuff all the time that start at #1 and are usually just 4 - 6 issues long.
    Good luck.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: October 9, 2013 4:07:35 pm
  • Thats my prob there is so many to choose from haha
  • Posted: October 9, 2013 6:31:35 pm
  • Hey Jake welcome........
    My best advice is to pick your favorite hero and just pick a random issue of that character. Some heroes have many titles being published by different writers and artists. There may be a certain artwork you like or a certain writer and story you like which may be different than others. Biggest thing is to have fun with the hobby. Pretty soon you'll be addicted and want to collect everything anyway so start slow and prepare to want to buy everything you see LOL. If you need any advice on anything let me know, I'll be more than happy to help.
    John Owens
    "I'm looking to complete my collection of The Maxx from Image comics ( 1993-1998 )."
  • Posted: October 9, 2013 8:00:57 pm
  • It wouldn't hurt to find you ome Trade Paperbacks and read those as well. You can get some of those cheap and read a bunch of back issue stuff to find what really appeals to you.
  • Posted: October 10, 2013 4:47:34 am
  • Yeah im noticing that alot of them have been re done. So im guessing that comics that are coming out yhese days wont be worth anything in the future not kike the old comics are now.

Im goin to hopsfully visit my first comic book shop tomorrrow or sat and see what I end up witji just dont know yet what I really want
  • Posted: October 10, 2013 11:45:31 am
  • Just because they are new doesnt mean it wont gain in value, i bought batman #1 new 52 in november 2011 sold it this year for £55 bought for £3.25.

Image has a few new series that im currently reading Sheltered and Sidekick both only 4 issues in to the run.
  • Posted: October 10, 2013 3:22:12 pm
  • Wow that's cool why did it gain that muxh value then? Sorry for question just learning about conics haha.
    What must have comics should I keep my eye open for then??? I see quite a few comics at csr boot sales in englsnd but never know what to look for.
    Still thinking starting with earth 2
  • Posted: October 10, 2013 4:22:13 pm
  • Whats ya views on age of uktron
  • Posted: October 10, 2013 4:39:19 pm
  • Age of Ultron was great! It's also a good one to start with because it was a limited run of 10 issues, not counting the varients. Also you can check out Marvels Infinity which is currently on going for a limited run, and DC Comics is doing Forever Evil as a limited run too. You may like them a lot.
    John Owens
    "I'm looking to complete my collection of The Maxx from Image comics ( 1993-1998 )."
14 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 124 days, 10 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman '89 Issue # 4b
  • Yen Press's Goblin Slayer Side Story II Dai Katana Soft Cover # 2
  • Comics Experience Publishing's Stud and the Bloodblade Issue # 3b
  • Marvel Comics's Venom Issue # 2b