feature requests

Time to sell, or time to hold? (Comic Book Forums)

• Time to sell, or time to hold?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 6, 2013 5:41:34 pm
  • I've got a ton of comics, but only a few that are worth much. The more valuable ones are: X-Men 94 (probably very fine/near mint condition) signed on inside cover by Chris Claremont, Spawn #1 sketch cover, Spawn 185 headless variant, Wolverine 66 old man logan sketch variant, Kick #1 sketch variant, Locke & Key #1, and Green Lantern 50 (1st Kyle Raynor as Green Lantern) signed by Romeo Tajal. Which of these should I keep to see if they increase in value and which should I sell?
    Jradical
  • Posted: October 6, 2013 9:00:06 pm
  • I think it depends on why you are selling them. I wouldn't sell the x-men 94 just because that would be a keeper for me. I would also keep the green lantern. The Locke and Key has some room for growth (movie speculation and all that). I don't think the others are going to be doing any jumping.
  • Posted: October 8, 2013 10:36:48 am
  • Depends on whether (a) you are collecting for profit or (b) just enjoy the comics, and (c) you are out of money / room and need to get rid of some.

If (a) then the more valuable older Silver Age or Bronze Age will increase in value better. With variants, they go up and down, so just guesswork there.

If (b) or (c) then sell off titles you don't care as much for.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: October 8, 2013 11:19:46 am
  • Spawn #1 has a sketch cover?
  • Posted: January 14, 2014 1:48:31 pm
  • ill say this local shops in ny will rip you off hard. 10$ a long box.. disappointing.. hold on to them for 40 years they say. rude people to boot.

Last edited January 14, 2014 1:51:34 pm
  • Posted: January 23, 2014 5:52:00 pm
  • NPDSoldat said:
    ill say this local shops in ny will rip you off hard. 10$ a long box.. disappointing.. hold on to them for 40 years they say. rude people to boot.

I've had mixed experiences with selling things to LCS's. One of my LCS's is absolutely awesome... as long as you're wanting store credit, not cash. They give me half of guide value for trade-ins. It's a great system; the owner is happy to offer it; and I take advantage of the offer almost every time I go there, unloading whatever bargain-bin eBay purchases I've racked up since the last time I was there. Every now and then when I bring in an assortment of '90s X-comics that he already has three copies of, he'll offer me a little less than half price, but I'm still making out like a bandit, and I don't mind. Because I want store credit.

On the other hand, yeah, I've been to other shops where out-of-work 40-year-old guys will come in, find the owner, and show him a huge box full of '80s comics, only to be told "Eh, I can't really be bothered to look through that, much less examine the condition of every issue to price it. That would just be too annoying for me. I'd give you maybe $15 for the whole box right now. Take it or leave it." I actually saw this happen to a guy. He had just lost his job and it cost him $15 in gas just to drive to and from the LCS. The owner didn't even care to look and see whether or not a ASM #300 or a Wolverine mini-series (or an early TMNT run?) was in the box. You could tell it already broke the guy's heart to part with his childhood collection, and now he was slapped in the face by being told that his collection was worthless to this lazy LCS owner. This same LCS has back issues of things like Ravage 2099 for $2 each and puts copies of '90s Big Two hologram issues on the wall, for $10 each.

Last edited January 23, 2014 5:56:54 pm
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 88 days, 11 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Amulet Books's Diary of a Wimpy Kid Hard Cover # 1
  • Murray Comics's Super Heroes Album Issue # 19
  • Thwack! Pow! Productions's The Original Sin Issue # 1
  • Thwack! Pow! Productions's The Original Sin Issue # 3