feature requests

Too many variants????? (Comic Book Forums)

• Too many variants?????

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 21, 2013 11:36:54 pm
  • Anyone else feel that there are just too many variants nowadays? Seems as though almost every issue has at least two lately. I'm totally down for 1st issue variants and milestone issue variants, but come on enough is enough.

Just posting on here as it seems as though many variants are showing up on the Hot Items thread.

What are everyone's all time fav variants? Lets post some pics
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 12:11:07 am
  • Yeah I agree with you, way too many and should only be with #1 issues, there's lots of cool variants to me, I've always been a huge scotty young fan so I love all he does. One of my all time favorites though is Thor #601b, that cover just cracks me up and is so unique. it stands out because it's different than all other covers, especially thor covers showing action and such
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 12:41:31 am
  • Not at all... It gives us a chance to see additional art from great artists that we wouldn't see otherwise. Personally I love the variety of cover art that we have today. Keep in mind you don't have to buy variant issues. Some weeks I don't buy any variants but still like to see the additional cover art.

Last edited May 22, 2013 12:42:08 am

• Posted: May 22, 2013 2:31:51 am
  • I actually bought toomanyvariants.com some years ago LOL I dropped it again as I never got around to making a site about it and eventually I got over the rage Razz

Today I don't really care. Previously I felt I had to get all variants on certain titles and it was very frustrating when so many variants were made. Now I have a much more relaxed attitude as I know I am not able to keep up no matter what I do. I am not going to pay several hundred dollars for new comics just published.

I agree with SteveC that it is great to see some different art but often you just see sketch covers or the same cover with other colors or logos and then you know the cover was just made to generate more sales. But... I don't really care any more. Let the people who enjoy variants enjoy them and ignore them if you think they are annoying.
    Not collecting any more but I still enjoy comics now and then...
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 8:23:08 am
  • I don't think there are too many. I think the prices for them are insanely stupid. I do like being able to see more artwork and if I can get one I like for close to cover then I will buy one. Otherwise I don't even worry about it.
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 9:08:05 am
  • Thanks for all the great comments everyone.

I love the extra artwork too. I guess I'm just frustrated with the insane prices and the volume which makes it tough to keep track of everything...

Anyway my fav. is probably Ghost Rider #34 Wolverine variant, always thought is was pretty cool.
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 9:53:42 am
  • Cashthedog said:
    Thanks for all the great comments everyone.

I love the extra artwork too. I guess I'm just frustrated with the insane prices and the volume which makes it tough to keep track of everything...

Anyway my fav. is probably Ghost Rider #34 Wolverine variant, always thought is was pretty cool.

If you're a "completest" and have to have every issue, the number of variants can easily overwhelm you. If it's a series I am interested in, I try to pick up the covers I like and leave it at that. Some of my favorite covers are the art appreciation covers that marvel was putting out. These are my top recent variants:

Amazing Spider-Man #683 Artist Appreciation and Gabrielle Dell'Otto Variants

The Mighty Thor #13 Artist Appreciation

Uncanny X-Men #1 (Gabrielle Dell'Otto)
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 12:19:41 pm
  • @fsjeter...those are very cool. Not the x-men one though. IMO
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 2:39:05 pm
  • Definitely too many variants!

But if people keep buying them, they will just produce more and more and ....
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: May 22, 2013 3:54:48 pm
  • WAY too many variants which are killing the collector market, imo.

It gets to the point that the only comics worth any decent money (new comics) are the variant covers which are impossible to find for cheap. I do hope that once the demand for them goes down since the print runs are less for some of them, that the 1st original printing of the books will start to come up in price.

I find it very tough and very hard to collect with all of these variants for EVERY issue of a comic book, especially the most popular of superheroes like ASM for example. It's getting out of hand......glad someone started this thread, gives me a chance to finally rant about this subject =)
49 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 1j
  • Tangram Publishing's Fang Issue # 1
  • Image Comics's Monstress Issue # 50c
  • Marvel Comics's Rise of the Powers of X Issue # 3h