feature requests

Hype (Comic Book Forums)

• Hype

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 7, 2013 7:49:51 am
  • Was wondering what are some of the factors behind some of the recent price gauges on titles that in many cases are less then a year old. Especially the Image #'1. I mean doesn't anyone else seem it is kind of ridiculous that a title that is only 9 issues in is selling #1 at $200 in NM condition. I am not even talking about a variant. Thief of Thieves $90 per CBR guide in NM. The list goes on and on not just with Image titles but mainly with them so i ask again why all the HYPE?
  • Posted: March 7, 2013 8:13:40 am
  • Hype is based on the walking dead mostly if you are talking about image titles like thieves. Look what the show did for #1 of the wlaking dead prices. Thieves has a tv show developing possibly so that is where the hype is for that.
    Also Saga helped a lot. It has no tv show or movie driving its prices. It just happens to be a great book. So basically people dont want to miss out on the next big thing.

Also image has much lower print runs than DC/marvel so when demand is there, the supply is is lower

Last edited March 7, 2013 8:22:23 am
  • Posted: March 7, 2013 10:30:56 am
  • The popularity of Walking Dead has a lot to do with it but Image gives writers and artists a vehicle to express themselves in a way that Marvel and DC doesn't. It gives them more control over what they're producing so it tends to be a better product, IMHO. That combined with lower print runs causes the price jumps. If you think about it, the Image titles that are heavily hyped usually peak and come back down. It's the titles that weren't highly anticipated, like Saga, Nowhere Men, and Peter Panzerfaust that tend to hold value longer. The TV deals tend to push them to another level but that's just part of the puzzle. In the case of Peter Panzerfaust, the TV deal helped but, in all honesty, since it's BBC I may never see an episode over here, but it's still a good read.
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: March 8, 2013 7:39:17 pm
  • Guess am just a little sketchy because i still remember the early 90's. Thankfully limited print runs ease my anxiety a little. Still seems highly speculative.
  • Posted: March 8, 2013 8:35:03 pm
  • The thing with it is, books like Peter Panzerfaust have been holding there value. But for every Saga and Nowhere Men, there have been Mara and Great Pacific. They are equally good books but haven't shot up in value. If you are shaky on the books dump them and cash out. I have sold many issues of Pp and NWM several times over but still keep a set for myself because I enjoy the books.

I have been buying back issues every time I see them and flip them. It's how I pay for my comics without hitting our already limited budget, and ow I have profited $1700 in the past two months.
    Http://www.comicsheatingup.net
    www.facebook.com/comicsheatingup
  • Posted: March 9, 2013 8:43:11 am
  • Saga, Manhattan Projects, Nowhere Men, Sixth Gun, Daredevil 21&22, Spidey 698-700, Hawkeye, Panzerfaust, Aquaman/Suicide Squad/Batman/Detective/Dark Knight(1-6) Gambit...regardless of the printing, I can't keep these in stock. They sell within minutes of being listed. Snapshot, Great Pacific, Mara, Comeback and others just sit there.

Shhh My sleeper pick? Avengers 12.1/FCBD. I think Age Of Ultron is the real deal, not just a blip or a what-if story. Not based on hype, or rumor-I think this is what cleans up the Marvel Universe and the disaster of continuity going on right now. Dancing
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Tiny Tot Pub.'s Carpet Crawler Comics Issue nn
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 1zullo-b
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 2g
  • Graphix's Whatever After Hard Cover # 1