feature requests

how can everyday people find out if a comic has "sold out" curious about all new x men (Comic Book Forums)

• how can everyday people find out if a comic has "sold out" curious about all new x-men

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 21, 2013 9:36:46 pm
  • Curious about all new x-men #6 (actually the whole series). Sold out? Also, can an everyday person see if a comic has sold out? I know dealers can with diamond. Curious if there is a way for me to.
    Seems like a difficult series to find this early in to it.

Last edited January 21, 2013 9:39:35 pm
  • Posted: January 21, 2013 11:21:05 pm
  • Not exactly sure what you mean by "Sold Out." Most times it's just a phrase that eBay sellers use to build excitement. It's used about as often as the word "Rare" and most times, neither is the case. Basically, if your LCS and the larger online retailers are out of stock, people will say start throwing around "sold out." It's tough to call on regular issues. For instance, Daredevil #21 has been listed as "Sold Out" for a while but I managed to find it for cover price last week online, two retailers still had it. Had to go across the pond to find it, but I did. Unfortunately, they just stuck them in a rigid envelope with no B&B so the one on top is in pretty bad shape. Evil or Very Mad The other two were o.k. But I digress. Most times, people don't want to look hard enough to find it so they assume something really is "Sold Out."
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: January 21, 2013 11:27:36 pm
  • I understand that. I see comics on shelves all the time that are "sold out". I guess I'm still just learning how comics are distributed. I would think that if Diamond can't get it, then it is sold out...at least from the publisher. Right?
  • Posted: January 21, 2013 11:38:25 pm
  • Comics are printed to order. Diamond may have a few issues for damaged/returns but once the order deadline is passed. It's supposed to be passed. That said, issues have been solicited again after the original order deadline. Regular issues are supposed to go to a second print after the initial order. A couple recent examples of titles that were solicited after the initial deadline are Bedlam #1 (NYCC Exclusive), ASM #692 (Marcos Decade Variants Set), ASM #700 1:200. Notice, these examples are all exclusive covers and not regular issues. Again, once the date is passed, it should be passed.

Last edited January 22, 2013 1:16:37 am
  • Posted: January 21, 2013 11:42:37 pm
  • I feel like my lcs has had left over issues of all-new x-men every week or just about every week. I've bought them when they came out however so i didnt pay too much attention to it
  • Posted: January 22, 2013 1:27:10 am
  • EazyE said:
    I feel like my lcs has had left over issues of all-new x-men every week or just about every week. I've bought them when they came out however so i didnt pay too much attention to it

Now I do know of retailers putting some copies of a hot issue away. For instance, the owner of one LCS here is putting Death of the Family issues away to put together some complete sets. Most don't but this owner has a ridiculous amount of comics.

Last edited January 22, 2013 1:27:26 am
  • Posted: January 22, 2013 9:40:27 am
  • I can understand a dealer put issues back to sell as a premium. That's their perogative and it is their business to make a living that way.
    What happens when a comic shop owner runs out of copies of something. I would imagine they attempt to place another order with Diamond. At that point I would think that Diamond shows whether or not they have any available. If not then that should be considered sold out. Again, just what I am thinking.
  • Posted: January 22, 2013 11:09:50 am
  • I use: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/955

It should always indicate a sell out, but it doesn't mean others didn't sell out. I check it periodically for the titles I am interested in.

The way it works is stores place their orders 3 months in advance. Say combined it is 10,000 books. The publisher prints extra (say 10%). So in this example there is 11,000 books (for selling, replacing damaged copies, etc). As the on sale date gets closer demand/hype has stores wanting more issues. At some point the re-orders passes the extra 1,000 so Diamond tells the store it is sold out. Diamond keeps track of number of requested copies (i.e. say there is demand for another 2,000) and they tell the publisher. The publisher does a reprint order because they can make money at 2,000, etc. If the re-orders were only say 100 books they wouldn't bother.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: January 22, 2013 11:23:01 am
  • dough boy said:
    I use: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/955

It should always indicate a sell out, but it doesn't mean others didn't sell out. I check it periodically for the titles I am interested in.

The way it works is stores place their orders 3 months in advance. Say combined it is 10,000 books. The publisher prints extra (say 10%). So in this example there is 11,000 books (for selling, replacing damaged copies, etc). As the on sale date gets closer demand/hype has stores wanting more issues. At some point the re-orders passes the extra 1,000 so Diamond tells the store it is sold out. Diamond keeps track of number of requested copies (i.e. say there is demand for another 2,000) and they tell the publisher. The publisher does a reprint order because they can make money at 2,000, etc. If the re-orders were only say 100 books they wouldn't bother.

But, this is all done before the "on sale date." Correct? Once the book hits the shelves, there's no re-ordering from Diamond. Then, if demand warrants, it goes to the second print. Right?
  • Posted: January 22, 2013 11:29:03 am
  • No...this is done all the time. Sometimes the interest in a book doesn't happen until a week or two after the onsale date (i.e. a new character, etc). Image comics tend to sell out before release. Marvel/DC comics tend to sell out shortly after.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
14 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Amphibia Comics's Newt Issue # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Girl: Modern Era - Epic Collection TPB # 1
  • DC Comics's Supergirl Annual # 1
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 6b