feature requests

Is there a way to bulk import a collection? (Comic Book Forums)

• Is there a way to bulk import a collection?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 17, 2020 11:43:28 pm
  • I have 30,000 comics cataloged in a MySQL database including title, issue number, and condition. Entering these manually would take forever. I can manipulate the data in whatever way is necessary. Is there a way to do a bulk import from a file or other data source?
  • Posted: September 18, 2020 1:39:07 pm
  • Not really. You would need to know the comic id (in CBR) for each item for it to be imported. We are discussing if it might be possible to have an importer, but it might only help with half of them (because title, publisher, issue, etc would have to match 100%).
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: September 18, 2020 2:40:24 pm
  • I'm a recovering software developer (now a manager) so I can do some basic manipulations of my data. It would be a lot easier to assign a ComicBookRealm title ID in my database and then match up the issue number and condition than put an ID on every issue. I'd also need to know valid values for condition to clean my data.

I could then provide my data as a csv file or other format for bulk importing. Or if you have a REST API, I could call that instead.
  • Posted: September 18, 2020 3:10:57 pm
  • Yes, but I would have to build a script to loop yours, lookup, assign, etc. It wouldn't be able to be widely used, and you would have to have everything exact. For instance, we have issue ASM 667b. Is that the same on yours? Or is it different?

I am not saying it isn't possible, just that I have a lot to work on, and building an importer that wouldn't be widely used isn't at the top of the list.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: September 19, 2020 11:02:18 am
  • I totally understand. You've got a great site and I'm looking forward to using it and contributing to it.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Avengers: Twilight Issue # 5g
  • Dark Horse Comics's From the World of Minor Threats: The Alternates TPB # 1
  • Pizz Publications's Jennifer Issue nn
  • Comic Art Publishers's Steve Canyon Soft Cover # 4