feature requests

Grouping comics across piles (Comic Book Forums)

• Grouping comics across piles

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 22, 2019 12:55:44 pm
  • I'm wondering if I'm unique with this problem or not. I have 20+ long boxes of comics and some of my titles will spread out across boxes, but some boxes will have more than one title. I don't like to waste space so I may have Box B half full with Spider-man, 1/4th full of Outcast, 1/4th full of whatever.

Now for years I have no idea what's in a particular box. I know the piles on this site were intended to solve that. So you'd have a Pile A which corresponds to your physical box "Pile A". This way you can easily see what's in each box.

However, I also want to be able to quickly see all my issues of a particular group. So, "I want to see all my Hack/Slash comics which may or may not be in the same box".

So there's the problem .... using the Pile method, I can't do that. if I instead name my piles by groups like I'm currently doing, I can't keep track of what box each comic is in. I can't really reuse the Notes column because that's where I keep important notes.

So with no new feature implementation, my plan is:

All my comics in Box A go into a pile called Box A. If there are comics in there I'd like to group by I'm going to put those into a pile called "Box A - Hack/Slash". So I may end up with Piles like:

Box A
    Box A - Spider-man
    Box A - Hack/Slash
    Box B
    Box B - Spider-man
    Box B - Hack/Slash

In this way, in Excel, I can quickly filter and choose all Box A entries to see everything in a certain physical box, but I can also filter and choose every box with the words 'Hack/Slash" to see all my Hack/Slash regardless of what boxes they happen to be in.

I hate that I have to hack the system like this but I can't think of a better way to achieve what I want.
  • Posted: March 22, 2019 1:32:32 pm
  • Abysslord
    I have always filed my comic books in alphabetic order. Yes, when you have 50+ long boxes, it sucks, but I can't seem to find a better way. I usually put away newer books twice a year, which takes hours, but I think is worth the while. I rarely lose any books (but I have) when it's in alphabetic order.
  • Posted: March 22, 2019 1:37:35 pm
  • brucifer said:
    Abysslord
    I have always filed my comic books in alphabetic order. Yes, when you have 50+ long boxes, it sucks, but I can't seem to find a better way. I usually put away newer books twice a year, which takes hours, but I think is worth the while. I rarely lose any books (but I have) when it's in alphabetic order.

I see you keep your piles by title so you'd be in the same situation as me, except you can narrow it down since you do it alphabetically. I don't think I would do that because of the problem of new books since I get many new titles every month it seems like.

So as far as this site goes, if you wanted to quickly see what boxes your titles were in you can't. But if you renamed your piles to match your boxes then you lose the 'group by title' feature.

Last edited March 22, 2019 1:38:15 pm
  • Posted: March 22, 2019 1:47:03 pm
  • It's a tricky one for sure. I don't buy much newer comic books anymore, so that makes it a bit easier. If you're buying several new books a week, that becomes troublesome eventually. I used to be like that and it drove me crazy. I wonder if anyone has a better idea?
  • Posted: March 22, 2019 6:10:12 pm
  • Maybe an easier way to separate your piles would be to group by company or characters and in the notes section (in your 'Collection') write which physical box they come from...

Just an idea

Personally, i have mine separated by company. If you look at my collection i only separate by alphabet because other people cannot view your pile if there are over 1000 books in it...

The way i have them separated at home is 20+ boxes of Marvel in alphabetical, 6 boxes of DC (again alphabetical) and 5 boxes of misc (everything else but alphabetical by publisher to make it easier for me to find things) But i have 2 long box "Catch alls"...I buy books weekly so i have those 2 LB as my "Lazy Boxes" lol...

Last edited March 22, 2019 6:15:27 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: March 22, 2019 6:11:11 pm
  • When I first started organization...after switching over to small boxes, and prior to inputting everything here on CBR, I put everything in alphabetical as well.
    I do buy a bit every month, from new titles to online purchases, etc.
    Soooo...A good portion of what I have is still alphabetized, but since then, it is completely random.
    In the box I am currently filling I have 20 Romita Jr signed copies of Punisher War Journal #1, followed by Silver Surfer vol 1 #6, followed by 5 issues of Faust, etc.
    Completely random in multiple boxes.
    I don't have the patience at the moment to get everything back in alphabetical order, until a great idea comes along or I want to group it together to sell manyManyMany years in the future.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: March 23, 2019 9:03:03 am
  • Over the years I have always grouped boxes and piles by title. Some, like Spider-Man or Batman, have multiple long boxes. Others of shorter runs are combined with other titles, such as Secret Origins & Shazam.

Boxes not mostly full, I used pieces of cardboard folded to hold books in place.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: March 23, 2019 9:32:37 am
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    Maybe an easier way to separate your piles would be to group by company or characters and in the notes section (in your 'Collection') write which physical box they come from...

I need the notes section for actual notes though. Like one comic I have is 8.5 but there are 3 numbers written on back. So my grade is lower but in my notes I say '8.5 but 3 numbers written on back' so I know how to explain that grade if anyone asked. Or things like "Unopened bag", "With card but opened", "Subscriber crease" etc. Course I could just start the Notes with the Box too.

• Posted: March 23, 2019 9:35:41 am
  • Spa-fon said:
    Over the years I have always grouped boxes and piles by title. Some, like Spider-Man or Batman, have multiple long boxes. Others of shorter runs are combined with other titles, such as Secret Origins & Shazam.

Boxes not mostly full, I used pieces of cardboard folded to hold books in place.

That's what I'm doing now, all titles together and I group things if possible. So my Spider-Man are all by themselves over many boxes but if I needed to know what box is Avenging Spider-man #11, I'd have no idea right now.

I guess for the most part this isn't a big deal because I really only have 1 group that spreads out, which is Spider-man. Since I pretty much read Image comics only now I don't need to group them because their title does that, with the exception of Hack 'n' Slash since it's done so many one-shots through different publishers.

So I'm probably thinking about this just for the sake of a few examples. I just wanted to really make sure I have a process before I go through all my boxes and catalog again.
  • Posted: March 31, 2019 4:21:13 pm
  • Maybe I am not understanding, but just do a pile search for the title and it will load across all piles.

For instance my primary ASM series is spread across several boxes, cabinets, etc. But if I want to see the entire collection, I just search for it, click on the title and then can see all issues across all locations, etc.

Last edited March 31, 2019 4:23:10 pm
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Titan Comics's Dark Souls: The Willow King Issue # 2c
  • Skybound's G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Issue # 305crain
  • Harper Alley's Lightfall TPB # 3
  • Hero Tomorrow Comics's Punchline and the Vaude-Villains Issue # 1-2nd print