feature requests

PROBLEM: Speed of site since redesign (Comic Book Forums)

• PROBLEM: Speed of site since redesign

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 8, 2018 1:45:01 pm
  • Since the redesign the site is much slower for me. If I search a number of things and click through some issue numbers etc. in a short time frame the processor on the computer is really working, fans are spinning etc. If I click on things at even a moderate speed, such as searching for the wrong thing and immediately searching again or clicking on several issue numbers in succession, the site will bog down and typing in the search box will lag well behind my key presses.On my phone I can see that there is a lot of data being consumed.

Pretty sure it's due to the ads reloading every time you click on anything, especially the video ad. If you click on a number of issues to look through the covers and descriptions the ads reload every click and the browser/computer struggles to keep up.

This is running in Edge and Chrome and on a number of different computers and phones. That is using the site on a phone not the app. The computers are quite new, they don't struggle with anything except this site. Interestingly it runs faster on my phone than on my laptop, sort of backwards but it's probably doing something differently on mobile.

I like the redesign but I'm not benefiting from it, the old version was quicker for me to use.
  • Posted: December 8, 2018 6:46:41 pm
  • The Video "ad" never reloads unless the page itself reloads.

The ads will reload when you are in the guide and click on a specific issue. The will obviously reload if you change pages as well.

I am curious because I am on the site all the time on Chrome on a 6 year old Mac and on brand new 2018 Dell and do not experience this issue. I also haven't heard about this problem from anyone else.

I wonder if it might be an extension? You say it is faster on your phone but yet it is the same site. The only real difference would be that it could be an extension. I know your extensions are synced across devices when using chrome. Could it be an extension that is conflicting with CBR?
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 9, 2018 6:28:58 pm
  • I just double checked the behavior. If I look up say Detective Comics and click on issue 10 then 13 then 15 each time a click an issue number all of the ads including the video are reloaded. They all disappear and take a bit of time to reappear. Sometimes I can't interact with the page until they finish reloading.

The video is definitely reloading even though I'm not reloading the whole page along with the banner ad at the top and the vertical ad underneath the video.

This happens in both Edge and Chrome on my Surface Book, my wife's Lenovo and in Chrome on my Android phone so an extension seems unlikely as it would have to be present everywhere. I have 150 Mbps internet so that shouldn't be a lag point either.
  • Posted: December 9, 2018 8:03:51 pm
  • Hmmm...not sure why the video would reload. I wonder if the Ad network tied it with the other ads.

As I mentioned the other ads will reload when you request a new issue as you are theoretically loading a new page.

I will ask them why the video player is reloading as I don't really want it too...
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Yen Press's Mieruko-Chan Soft Cover # 9
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 19b
  • Totally Rad Comics's Totally Rad Life of Violet Issue # 1f
  • Marvel Comics's Web of Spider-Man Issue # 7b