feature requests

Help need some education (Comic Book Forums)

• Help - need some education

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 21, 2018 4:33:30 am
  • Hi,
    My apologies for an ignorant question - but I have done searches on the net but cannot seem to find a good answer to this question:

- Is there any way to determine by looking at an actual comic whether it is a chaser cover (e.g. 1:100), a retailer-incentive cover, etc. Clearly these covers are very common these days, and you note them on the info on your site, but if I get a comic in my hand - is there a way by looking at the physical copy what type of cover it is - or do I have to rely on an index or listing of some sort?

- Variant covers say 'variant covers' on the cover
    - 2nd printing often says '2nd printing' on the cover, and always in the indicia
    - Retailer-exclusive covers usually have the retailer logo on the cover

But what about:
    - Chaser covers (e.g. 1:100)
    - Retailer-incentive covers
    - etc.
  • Posted: November 21, 2018 6:01:37 pm
  • well...variants don't always say variant on them...just wanted to put that out there, and i'm sure you knew...as for your main question...I am not 100% sure, but i believe the barcode numbers all mean different things...like i know to look at the last number (on Newer books) and that can tell you the printing...but as far as the other numbers i am unsure...i think only because i just never cared to look lol (laziness i suppose lol). Other then that, a lot of members fill a lot of that info in or if i am editing info, i will do a ebay search and there is always dealers in there selling so they list the ratios...Some are wrong, but you learn which to weed out over time.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: November 21, 2018 6:05:51 pm
  • Yes the answer in is in the upc code.
    For example here are a few upc numbers for Return of Wolverine #1
    Reg cover - 7-59606-08929-1-00111
    2nd variant - 7-59606-08929-1-00121
    3rd variant - 7-59606-08929-1-00131
    See the difference now?
    As for ratios, that info usually comes from the publisher.

Last edited November 21, 2018 6:20:59 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: November 23, 2018 10:15:57 am
  • Hi, thanks for that.

However, the 5-digit extension only confirms limited information.

A Five Digit Number of 00111 means:
    001 (issue number); 1 (what cover variant); 1 (what printing)

It does not, for example, confirm if it is a retail-incentive, or retail-exclusive, cover. So if I understand you correctly, this type of information, together with ratios etc., cannot be determined by looking at the actual comic. This information is only available from the publisher?

If that is the case, do you know where for Marvel comics this information is available? I have searched www.marvel.com but cannot find it on there. In other words, when you label a comic as, say, retail-incentive 1:100, where do you get that information?
  • Posted: November 23, 2018 10:57:05 am
  • That information comes from the solicits.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Fall of the House of X Issue # 4
  • DC Comics's Knight Terrors: Harley Quinn Issue # 1syndicate-b
  • Image Comics's Something Epic Issue # 9b
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 85b