feature requests

Virus Warning (Comic Book Forums)

• Virus Warning

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 29, 2017 10:28:43 am
  • I'm getting a virus warning here tied to a site called coinhive.com. Something called JS Miner. I may have a typo because I couldn't cut and paste from the pop-up warning. Surfing away and plan to do a full virus scan. Please investigate.
  • Posted: December 29, 2017 11:11:07 am
  • As mentioned on FB and here we are looking to see if it will be able to replace some of the ads on the site. It is not a virus and it is intentional. Some companies are blocking it and flagging it as a virus because there are bad sites out there trying to take advantage of users (by not telling them about the software). We are trying to do it correctly (by providing notice). You can tell your scanner to ignore it (on CBR only).

Last edited December 29, 2017 11:13:54 am
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 29, 2017 5:32:18 pm
  • I just got this as well, I sent you the info via PM.
    So it's not a virus???
    I don't do FB so I don't have a clue as to what it was.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 29, 2017 7:29:00 pm
  • No it is not a virus. Basically it is using your browser while on the site to mine for crypto currency. Some virus scanners got mad that sites were forcing it on users without telling them and so they have opted to block it. I chatted with someone on FB and it appears Norton is one provider.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: January 1, 2018 10:35:38 am
  • AVG is flagging it as well. The problem with ads and scripts is that these are used to distribute malware and track my browsing without my permission. If my same IP address is tied to multiple sites and the CDN is capturing that data as I go from one site to another, they are essentially stalking me against my permission.

If you think the shift to the https protocol is to make your web experience safer, I'm highly doubtful. It serves a better function as user verification system to gather more accurate personal data about me.

If someone was walking behind you at Walmart and writing down everything you looked at, you'd be pretty annoyed. If they then followed you to your local grocery store and started doing the same, you'd probably be calling the police.
    I consider all of the background activity online to be the equivalent of criminal stalking. The problem is that most people are ignorant about what's going on.

If it came down to giving all my personal info away or boycotting sites on the web, I could do fine without the web sites. I'm still using a dumb phone. While I empathize with your need to generate revenue, selling my personal data and browsing patterns in exchange for that revenue doesn't appeal to me.

Mining bitcoins doesn't bother me as much, but it's still a non-critical script that could be modified to distribute malware.

Have you ever considered publishing a price guide? Your site has the potential to be the most up-to-date price reference on the web and in print. Overstreet is a joke. They don't list everything and they can't. A published price guide would be a marketing tool to get more traffic here and once you got them here, you'd have leverage to promote the publishers directly.

We've already seen what happens when the CDN's take control of a website like they did with Photobucket & Snopes. Photobucket is about as inviting as the black plague and Snopes was locked out of even updating their content.

The world is changing. I hope there are better solutions than what I foresee on the horizon.
  • Posted: January 16, 2018 2:54:22 pm
  • For the non-techie old man on CBR, guide me on how to block it. Went to home page and see nada to block it.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: January 16, 2018 2:55:35 pm
  • I auto disabled it for all users. It will only appear if you enable it in your settings.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Mad Cave Studios's Edenfrost Issue # 4
  • Tangram Publishing's Fang Issue # 2
  • Image Comics's Local Man: Bad Girls Issue # 1b
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine Issue # 43 - 2nd print