feature requests

Accessing MCP from your iPod (Comic Book Forums)

• Accessing MCP from your iPod

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 17, 2007 9:29:03 pm
  • Please provide more information as to what you are looking for as far as the image export.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 17, 2007 10:11:36 pm
  • Well, I understand you want to protect the MCP assets. From my point of view, the easiest interface to build mashups on (like the iPod reports), would be something like this:

- Add a column to the export lists, "Image". The value of this would be the database index for the image (or a unique key that can be used like that)

- Add a REST style HTTP method to retrieve the images. Something like

http://www.mycomicpile.com/api/1.0/image?id=1234

If you want to lock things down a bit more, maybe you could do a simple login auth, so users can only access images which they have either uploaded, or have active in one of their piles.

I think the iPod reports would be more useful if they could do the exports programatically, again with some kind of auth. I haven't checked how hard that would be to spoof, but I only want to write "MCP Friendly" tools, so I wouldn't do that unless you were ok with it.
  • Posted: June 18, 2007 11:26:30 pm
  • RwP came up with another cool twist...

If you create a plain text file with comics that are going to be coming out that you will want to buy (using the same format as MCP exports), then you can use the ComicUtil file to generate reports of upcoming issues, just as if they were stored on MCP. It's a bit extra work, but the results are pretty impressive.
  • Posted: June 19, 2007 10:43:58 am
  • The initial entry is a bit of work, but after that it is just maintenance. The usefulness of having 'future' issues also in my iPod is beyond words -- esp. when it is combined with the complete catalog of my collection. Awesome stuff.

-RwP
24 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 52 years, 315 days, 13 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Viz Media's Black Torch Soft Cover # 5
  • Titan Comics's Life Is Strange Issue # 8
  • ComixTribe's Oxymoron: The Loveliest Nightmare Issue # 4
  • Zoo Arsonist Press's Potato Mummy Issue ashcan