feature requests

Accessing MCP from your iPod (Comic Book Forums)

• Accessing MCP from your iPod

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 9:55:00 am
  • That's more like it! A semester of Fortran is the only real exposure I've had to using the MS-DOS prompt. I was an apple guy until 1999, when I realized engineers operate almost exclusively on PC's. I'm still paying for that.

I should be able to do what I need to with your new instructions. Thanks!
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 3:14:15 pm
  • This code was all written on my MacBook Pro - with the release of OS X, lots of engineers are moving in that direction, although with the Unix prompt. Smile
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 3:40:27 pm
  • Shocked =D> :smt023 :smt038 :smt044

After a lot of trial and error :smt024 , I figured out what I needed to do. I'm so very happy! :smt040

java - cp ComicUtil.jar ComicUtil -collection -ipod notes pile.export.txt

It's apparently case sensitive and you need to get the dashes and underbars in the right place, obviously. This is super cool, and I may now be able to convince my brother to get a computer, iPod, and internet connection. Also, it helps to use the COMMAND PROMPT instead of the Run program thing in the start menu. Embarassed
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 6:53:16 pm
  • Awesome, glad you got it working. I'll be adding some more features over the weekend probably, including an "all comics" view, divided out alphabetically.

If you have feature requests, let me know - no guarantees, but if they are easy or useful, there's a reasonable chance I'll squeeze them in.
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 7:02:01 pm
  • An "all comics" view would be the most used view on my iPod. I'll buy you some chocolate if you get that working.

-RwP42
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 7:13:00 pm
  • You mean when, of course. Wink

I'll probably work on it tonight. I'm also hoping to get my scanner working, so I can start doing covers.
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 9:58:57 pm
  • If you could have it load the covers for my want list, that would be hand-diddly dandy. I have a hard time remembering which Infinite Crisis, Justice League, Civil war, and other covers I'm looking for.

Hey, you offered Twisted Evil .

Seriously, this is a huge step beyond printing out my piles and want list on ugh, paper, which was momentous in its own right. I'm usually listening to tunes at cons on my ipod anyway, so it's nice to have my lists on it. Vielen dank, and I'll think of more doable features in the future.
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 10:09:05 pm
  • That's an awesome idea. I'll have to see if the ipod supports images.

Also, I might need some support/permission from Doughboy for the images.

I'd also like to know how many issues in a series, to make the -holes reports more useful!

I've got rwp's FR implemented, just one more issue to resolve and I'll make another "release".
  • Posted: June 15, 2007 10:53:28 pm
  • Ok, iPod notes supports .jpg files. How about it Doughboy, can we get an "Export Want List" images feature? If you want to talk to me about some options, you can email me.
  • Posted: June 16, 2007 10:55:40 pm
  • I've fixed the 4k limit, so you get multiple pages as necessary - this only happens if you have around 600 issues in a single pile, but no worries, because it's working now. Also, I added RwP's "All Comics", sorted out alphabetically, feature (and I used that report in the comic store today checking whether I had a certain TPB or not, so it's already come in useful).
24 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 53 years, 166 days, of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Aero Issue # 2 - 2nd print
  • Bluewater Productions's Flying Saucers vs The Earth Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Powers of X Issue # 5g
  • Dark Horse Comics's Strayed Issue # 2b