feature requests

When is an Appearance not an Appearance? (Comic Book Forums)

• When is an Appearance not an Appearance?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 3, 2016 2:46:53 am
  • I have been doing some indexing of various comics and I have a question on the types of appearances you can choose from. There is first appearance, second, origin, death, joins, etc. which are all pretty much self-explanatory (though the whole topic of first appearances demands its own post some other time), but what I cannot figure out is the difference between an appearance and a cameo. To me a cameo is a brief appearance, usually only a handful of panels at the most. But if that is the case, or even if it isn't, what is an appearance? Is it more than an cameo? Less? Do the terms more or less mean the same thing? Any light you can shed would be appreciated!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: August 3, 2016 8:27:03 am
  • You're right about the cameo, for an appearance I usually go by if the character is a major part of the story.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 3, 2016 10:22:58 am

• Last edited August 3, 2016 10:57:43 pm
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
  • Posted: August 3, 2016 4:32:34 pm
  • An appearance is an appearance regardless of whether or not it is a cameo, flashback, full, etc. If the character can be identified by the reader as that character, or the creator(s) - writer(s) and/or artist(s) - editor(s) or publisher identify that character, then it's an appearance.
  • Posted: August 4, 2016 2:42:33 am
  • So I am right about what a cameo is and I know when to credit origins, first appearances, deaths, joins, etc. but what should we be doing for the everyday members of the team who appear in a particular issue. Let's look at practically any issue of the Fantastic Four from the Silver Age, say issue #49. I know Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben were all in that issue, along with the Silver Surfer and others. For the members of the FF would I just add their names and leave it like that or should each of them, plus the team, be credited with an appearance? If they are in the comic, and do not have any special designation, isn't it easier to not even bother with appearance in the roster of characters? If their names are there don't we just assume they appeared? If not, there is a whole lot of editing that is going to need to be done! Let me know, please, before I get going on too many more!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: August 4, 2016 2:48:51 am
  • a Cameo is like a last page "appearance" or a "glimpse" of a character (ASM #299 is a great example WRT Venom).

First appearance to me would also be where the character forms part of the story in some way (although not necessarily a major part IMPO).

A first "appearance" carries more weight than a cameo from what I've seen even though the cameo may predate the first appearance.
  • Posted: August 5, 2016 3:43:33 pm
  • Yes, like I stated earlier, the whole first appearance thing is a separate topic for another time, and even then, no matter who weighs in, it is unlikely we will come to a consensus everyone is pleased with, and I do get cameos. What I would like clarification on is how the mods here would like us to index the comics, something I enjoy doing. If a character who is supposed to be in a comic, like Spider-Man in almost any issue of Amazing Spider-Man should we just list Spider-Man (Peter Benjamin Parker) in the list of characters or should we list him and add the tag "appearance" beside his name. My belief is that if a character is listed without any tags (for cameo, flashback, 2nd appearance, origin, joins, dies, etc) than we can assume he or she has appeared in said comic. If I am mistaken in that belief than I would appreciate clarification that those characters in that positions should be tagged with an appearance. Thanks so much,
    Tenzil
  • Posted: August 5, 2016 4:29:51 pm
  • If the comic is say ASM then you don't need to add anything to the the character listing for Spidey, JJJ, RR, BB and so on, just add the character. I would just use the appearance for say villains or supers that are in the title that normally wouldn't be on a regular basis...same would go for Avengers or any other title. Hope that helps Brick wallLaughing

Last edited August 5, 2016 4:33:25 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 5, 2016 7:11:31 pm
  • ive always looked at a cameo appearance is a brief appearance that predates the first appearance of a character or it is an appearance of a Non comic character (ex. david letterman, barrack obama, etc.) and an appearance would be just a brief appearance of whichever character....this is actually something id like to get clarified myself as i do A TON of logging...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Skybound's Cobra Commander Issue # 4e
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 19b
  • Titan Comics's Rebel Moon: House of the Bloodaxe Issue # 2e
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 69b