feature requests

Lost feature? (Comic Book Forums)

• Lost feature?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 21, 2023 4:19:14 pm
  • So, it appears the app updated itself on my phone. I had to relogin. Much to my HUGE disappointment, it no longer seems to have the 'scan' feature allowing me to scan the barcode of my comics in. Is this intentional or did I miss it somewhere? I'm using Android App of course. Thanks.
  • Posted: July 21, 2023 5:55:31 pm
  • It being rebuilt so hang tight.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 21, 2023 6:15:45 pm
  • We had to rebuild the app from the ground up because it was getting to the point it wouldn't be allowed on the stores anymore, there were bugs, and we wanted to make some tweaks.

Unfortunately, halfway into development, we found out that currently there is no code that exists we can include in the app to do the scanning anymore. Comic books require a specific type of scanner (the ability to scan two codes at once, and both types) and there was no free code. We found a few codebases who offered it, but they wanted $10k+ per year. We haven't even made anywhere close to that much since the app has been live and then that would require us charging a yearly fee. So to get the app out we had to make the decision to pull the scanning for now while we try to figure out something to make it work again.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: July 22, 2023 6:18:52 am
  • Can you still search by putting the barcode number in the search bar or was that removed with the scanner as well?
  • Posted: July 22, 2023 9:25:02 am
  • I don't think so. That was if you scanned then you could change it.

I will see if we can add something like that in.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: July 25, 2023 12:33:03 pm
  • That sucks but understand why you had to pull it. Keep up the great work.
  • Posted: July 25, 2023 12:42:44 pm
  • Trying to get back something to at least manually search.

I was not pleased either. It was like 3 months into a 4 month build when we were made aware of it. Probably going to have to have something custom built which will cost a lot.

• Posted: July 31, 2023 10:31:15 am
  • Your competitors charge fees, depending on features. I like your site and app the best. If there was a reasonable fee, I would be willing to pay it annually. Would suspect others would as well.
  • Posted: July 31, 2023 10:50:49 am
  • True, but we started out with an annual fee, and it was not well received. Let's say for instance the cost (annual) to have scanning is $10k. Let's say we have to charge $15 annually (we only receive $10). We then need 1,000 people to pay just in order for us to break even. I am still working on it, but I don't think the fee is going to work.

Last edited July 31, 2023 11:52:28 am

• Posted: July 31, 2023 10:56:41 am
  • Oh, well that sucks. I wish you luck in an alternative then. I know League of Comic Geeks somehow does it as well (I just dislike their web ui, and when they scan, it takes you to a series, not the actual comic number).
24 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 73 years, 51 days, 2 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Action Comics Issue # 1065h
  • DC Comics's Superman Issue # 14f
  • DC Comics's Superman TPB # 2
  • Skybound's Universal Monsters: Dracula Hard Cover # 1b