feature requests

Major Differences in Values (Comic Book Forums)

• Major Differences in Values

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 8, 2019 9:48:34 am
  • Been using this site for years to get a feel for the value of my books, but now find myself curious as to how accurate the values are, anyone know? Here 1 comic will be valued at $175 and every other place I check for the same comic will be nowhere near $175..help
  • Posted: September 8, 2019 10:53:22 am
  • https://comicbookrealm.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/78931-how-do-you-determine-pricing

Ultimately you have to tell us what specific comic you are looking at. It could be that our estimate is accurate, others are not. Or it could be that at one time it was $175, but the price dropped and no one has asked us to revisit it.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: September 8, 2019 6:57:08 pm
  • Specifically I'm referring to Absolute Carnage #1 cover t, the premier variant

Last edited September 8, 2019 6:57:32 pm
  • Posted: September 8, 2019 7:05:25 pm
  • There are only two of these per store. This means likely 3k total copies. Stores can choose to sell them for what they want. One store that we get our initial pricing data from had it listed for $250, selling around $210, and we listed (the week before it came out) for $175. Since you are the first one to question it I have researched it and adjusted the value.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: September 8, 2019 9:19:57 pm
  • The prices on this site are some of the best in the business...Except for the one per store variants. I've brought up numerous books that are overpriced and were adjusted. I think the initial pricing is set way too high. I'm actually not sure any of them sell for the prices here.
  • Posted: September 9, 2019 6:11:06 pm
  • Mods also do not own every book in our database, or even necessarily read the same books as some members...if a price, missing book, corrections need to happen there are forum sections for all of them (separately lol). Patience is key to the request forums though as sometimes things are not done right away.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Black Panther #29-30 Newsstand: Marvel Zombies
    Rescue One-Shot
    Marc Spector, Moon Knight 58-60: Final Issues
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 9:40:22 pm
  • I don't think anybody expects the mods to be all knowing. But for the one per store variants the prices have always been, well, insane. Here's and example: I started in the Marvel A's and found the first one per store variant in Absolute Carnage #1u Party Sketch Variant. Prices on ebay are BINs around $30. Sold listings are even lower. The price here is $175. Differences that big are hard to reconcile.
    I suppose you can wait until somebody like me points each one out but I think the initial price model is incorrect with regards to one per store variants.
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 9:48:27 pm
  • Right, but that is the price a store IS selling them for (or at least asking). When we add comics we just add them and don't stop and think is it accurate or not...

• Posted: September 10, 2019 11:15:25 pm
  • Perhaps you can delay pricing on them? I know there are many issues on this site marked as zero dollars until the market dictates the price. Or use more stores?
    House of X #1v is listed at $200 here. I can pick one up for for less than $18 on ebay. But because of the price here somebody is trying to sell one here for $150. He is going to be very disappointed.
  • Posted: September 11, 2019 5:14:33 am
  • That is what I am trying to say...I have a semi automated tool for creating new releases...I don't pay attention to each variant to stop and research what the ratio is at.

• Posted: September 11, 2019 9:16:54 pm
  • Just wondering but is there a way to create a hot link to EBay in place of the estimated value on these types of variants or similar books? So instead of a value listed here at CBR of let’s say $100 there’s a link labeled FMV (Fair Market Value) or CMV (Current Market Value) or ESL (EBay Sold Listings) or whatever.
  • Posted: September 11, 2019 9:31:21 pm
  • There is already a hot link by default...just click on the ebay logo in the item row.

Now if you are asking for value, we couldn't automatically pull it back and would need to manually update it. Even then we would need to manually override any price we have to not have a price, so why not just update the price.

The issue is that it says it is a variant and most of the time it doesn't get into "exclusivity". So we would have to spend time researching every variant that comes out every week. We also add comics up to a week in advance so often times there are no sales for some of these.

Unfortunately the only way right now we can do anything is if people help us out and request pricing updates.

• Posted: September 11, 2019 9:40:55 pm
  • Guess who can’t recall ever clicking on that EBay logo before… d'oh!
  • Posted: September 11, 2019 9:45:13 pm
  • All good. Maybe I can make it a rule that if the comic is listed for more than $100 the week before it comes out we just set it to $0. Maybe I can then build out a report that we can use to find comics with $0 value and their aging so we can update...

• Posted: September 11, 2019 10:04:35 pm
  • Instead of $0 which could be confused as having no value at all, maybe TBD for To Be Determined or something similar.
  • Posted: September 12, 2019 6:02:23 pm
  • Has to be a numerical value. At the same time if you buy a book for $60 and it says $0 here, do you really think its worth nothing? I dont think its that confusing...but you definitely could be right i guess, not everyone has common sense. Even free books are worth at min $1...but i/we have been doing this a long time, maybe a new fresh collector may get confused...

still everything dough boy is saying is true...most of the time we go by what we see. There are sooooo many books to add every week, and forum reqs, we cannot spend days researching initial pricing or nothing would ever get done...

I think those that use this site as a "Bible" for pricing are just being lazy (my opinion solely). Reason being, it takes 10-15 mins to jump on ebay and price check the books themselves if the price seems out of whack here. Obviously that is for sellers, for collectors if they arent Shopping for pricing, then they are not being intelligent about their purchase in the first place. This is a GUIDE, not pricing written in stone...it is written all over the place on this site that "A book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"...

Most members know/realize that we really do our best to keep things updated and correct. Obviously that is very hard to do when there almost 500k separate comics listed on the site. Which is why we ask the members with the extra hand if they see something incorrect...

Last edited September 12, 2019 6:15:39 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Black Panther #29-30 Newsstand: Marvel Zombies
    Rescue One-Shot
    Marc Spector, Moon Knight 58-60: Final Issues
  • Posted: September 12, 2019 7:29:58 pm
  • dough boy said:
    All good. Maybe I can make it a rule that if the comic is listed for more than $100 the week before it comes out we just set it to $0. Maybe I can then build out a report that we can use to find comics with $0 value and their aging so we can update...
    That sounds like an excellent idea. I know a few of my Grimm Fairy Tales have $0 for value
17 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 53 years, 168 days, 7 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman Issue # 50-4cbeast-b
  • Dark Horse Comics's Critical Role: Vox Machina - Origins Series II Issue # 3
  • Marvel Comics's Strikeforce Issue # 1g
  • Marvel Comics's Tony Stark: Iron Man Issue # 16b
CBR.com member auction items ?