feature requests

What happened to Spawn 1 thru 9?? (Comic Book Forums)

• What happened to Spawn 1 thru 9??

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 30, 2017 3:34:03 pm
  • I'm not questioning the accuracy of the price guide here, but rather what (if anything) happened? All 9 of the first issues dropped 33% or more in value literally overnight? Historical pricing feature on all of them literally show a high price for August 29 (yesterday) and then a crash for "Current" (which is today). Shocked
  • Posted: September 4, 2017 8:54:28 am
  • So the historical pricing feature more shows the date that the price was updated in the CBR system. It doesn't necessarily mean that an issue "crashed" or skyrocketed in value overnight. My best guess on this one was it was recently updated with the latest price guide value and then later on a mod did some additional research and put in the values that the issues were actually selling for.
  • Posted: September 4, 2017 1:07:01 pm
  • i updated the pricing first based on overstreet (i think it was in the 30 range) then the other day i came across some high selling spawns books, and decided to recheck the main books (which included 1-9) as well as the homage covers starting at 221

Spawns first few books selling prices are typically everywhere...Due in part to huge printing numbers (with no cut offs it seemed) and a community that Wants them to be more valuable...just hard with so many books out there...I believe Spawn 1 was one of the top 5 highest number of printed books in all of comics. They didnt realize when they just kept printing them, that theyd actually break the ceiling (back in the 90s). Now that the market has recovered, people are looking for them to go up, but its hard when everyone has 3+ copies lol...(just saying...i know everyone doesnt)

Highest Printed Comic Books
    1. X-Men #1 (1991) - 7.1 Million Copies
    2. X-Force #1 (1992) - 5 Million Copies
    3. Superman #75 (1987) - 3 Million Copies
    4. Spider-Man #1 (1990) - 2.5 Million Copies
    5. Spawn #1 (1992) - 1.7 Million Copies
    6. Star Wars #1 (2015) - 958k Copies
    7. Fantastic Four #60 (1998 ) - 752k Copies
    8. Deathmate (Prologue, Blue, and Yellow) (1993-94) - 700k copies of each
    9. The Amazing Spider-Man #1 (2014) - 533k copies
    10. The Amazing Spider-Man #583 (1963) - 530k copies

Last edited September 4, 2017 1:20:20 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: September 5, 2017 12:45:42 pm
  • Of course now I realize the price change was due to the site update (that's my derp). But I guess the question still remains why so much of a drop? I know Spawn #1 was one of the most printed books in comic history, but it's not like McFarlane printed 300K more copies last year. I could see a drop of a couple bucks for #1, but $10 seems excessive. Could this year's Director's Cut have anything to do with it, introducing more (albeit limited amount) copies of #1 into the market?

AmZoMBiE, your comment about "now that the market has recovered" caught my eye. I've only recently returned to collecting comics about 3-4 months ago so I'm still catching up on a lot of what's happened... would you say there's still some settling for the market to do?
  • Posted: September 5, 2017 6:22:22 pm
  • the first price increase (which was probably this time last year sometime) was based solely on overstreets listing. i felt it easier to be able to just run the list and fix wrongly priced issues later (i think i wrote it that way in my message to the community when i started and a couple times throughout). It took me about 8 months to get our "core" pricing updated. By core i mean most of the non important common books needed an update as much as the keys and hot ones we constantly check. Spawn #1 itself was at i think $10 or something before i started, then was changed to the overstreets $30ish range, then the other day i went a looked at actual sales of the book and updated it to where it is properly selling in the "Today" market. Overstreet has its follies, timeframe being one of them. They print once a year. By that standard they only increase or decrease once per year. We all know that comics fluctuate multiple times a year sometimes, so we at CBR try to stay as current as possible. Also just so you know, this type of price changing will happen throughout the year and dont necessarily mean a HOT or COLD book, could possibly be just updating...

The settling question...This market nowadays seems fragile on the surface, but (in my opinion) i feel theres a hard subsurface. What i mean by that is many will argue the artificial rarities or variants will kill the market or modern books arent worth buying....yatta yatta yatta. I understand their concerns. But.... I feel like comics have reached another plateau of collectibility...its not just a comic, its passed into the fine art catagory as well and that attracts a whole slue of new collectors. With comics becoming commonplace not only in kids hands but also adults, i think our community has nothing to fear. Its the time of the heroes, plain and simple. Will its time pass, sure, eventually...as with anything else. But it will also have yet another comeback then as well, and everytime things seem to dip, when they comeback they are stronger and more popular then before (ex. economy, housing market, etc.). Comics are becoming serious money makers and breakers, which is great. Do i think things will settle again...sure but probably not nearly as bad as the 90s lol (hard to top that crash).

I hope my babbling answered your question in there somewhere lol Think
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: September 5, 2017 7:00:26 pm
  • Thanks, AmZoMBiE, I appreciate the response. Variants ARE one thing I've noticed that has gone batshit crazy lol ... as someone who got into comics right before the 90s downfall, I'm surprised that the industry doesn't seem to have learn their lesson. I don't think variants will ruin the industry, but they ARE creating a fickle secondary market. For example I see people go NUTS for SOME Dell'Otto variants, and I see other sitting on shelves (real and virtual) collecting dust.

I also see a lot of manipulation, much like with the stock market - people hyping up books, claiming they're selling out quickly or are already sold out (may or may not be false pretense) and causing speculators to buy comics with the expectation to flip them right away (*cough*Weapon X #7*cough*), only to find there's still plenty of copies out there.
  • Posted: September 5, 2017 7:59:22 pm
  • yep i agree (esp the weapon x, which i literally yesterday updated the pricing on the WMD stuff lol). stuff like this is always going to happen...technically its called marketing lol (hyping a product or in this case issue). I dont see that as a huge issue. Itll happen to everyone ONCE lol... then they learn their lesson (i hope). WMD is cool, weapon H is at least a sweet new character with a good backstory and all...i just dont really see it holding that value because of the character himself...its really only a merging of heroes and i dont think that gimmick will stick around too long. You won't see Weapon H in a movie lol (possibly a show or a cameo though, which would be pretty sweet)

To be honest they do alot of this merging of heroes, and itll soon fade i feel....from spider gwen to now WMD and all the mergings in the middle may be just a fad or a poor attempt at original heroes lol

Last edited September 5, 2017 8:01:51 pm
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: September 5, 2017 8:03:29 pm
  • actually this may have even started sooner with the marvel zombies and the curse of the mutants (everyone merging with zombies n vampires essentially).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 7
  • Rebellion's Judge Dredd Megazine Issue # 466
  • DC Comics's Starman - Compendium TPB # 2
  • DC Comics's Superman/Batman Issue # 22