feature requests

Don't know comics. Found these. What should I do with them? (Comic Book Forums)

• Don't know comics. Found these. What should I do with them?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 3, 2015 1:43:12 pm
  • So I decided to remodel my basement. My house was built in 1956. I was tearing out some sheetrock and all of the sudden this magazine drops out on the floor. So I take a closer look.

Then after I take a few minutes I look up in the ceiling and I see another one hanging half way off of some duct work. So I pulled that one down.

Both are complete but obviously have a bit of damage. My guess is that they were stuck up there by kids and forgotten about, and then of course they were eventually covered up in the ceiling. I'm guessing they are like 50 years old.

The Lois Lane one says, "no. 10" and the Batman one says "no. 110"

Any input appreciated.
  • Posted: December 3, 2015 2:30:38 pm
  • The first comic is Showcase #10 from Oct. 1957. It might be worth about $200 at best in it's current condition which appears to be Fair (1.0 in grade). Too bad, in NM (9.4 in grade) it's listed value here at Comic Book Realm is $6,800.

Batman #110 from Sept. 1957 also looks to be in Fair condition and might be worth about $30 in it's current condition. In NM condition it's estimated value here at CBR is $1,000. Good news is that the Joker appears in this issue so it might be more desirable for some collectors.

Here's more info on the Showcase #10http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Showcase_Vol_1_10

And here's more info on the Batman #110http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_110

Just to clarify, I am not a professional grader so my estimated grades might be of by a grade or more.
  • Posted: December 3, 2015 3:27:59 pm
  • Yeah. I found a couple of grading scales. From reading, I'd probably grade these a GD- to GD. The Bat man one is a little worse than the Lois Lane one. The color is actually pretty vibrant still. That pic of the Lois Lane one is without even wiping the dust off. I'm going to swing by a comic book store this afternoon just to see if they are helpful at all. I'd probably like to sell them, but not sure I want to just throw them up on Ebay.
  • Posted: December 3, 2015 7:28:34 pm
  • If you can, post more pictures of the books including the back cover, inside covers, centerfold so we can see how the staples are attached, and close ups of the corners and any other detectable flaws/defects. That will give us here more visual information to estimate grades. Good luck.
  • Posted: December 4, 2015 2:07:11 am
  • Very cool find! Too bad they are in such rough condition, but still a very nice surprise! Good luck with your sale of these books.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: December 29, 2015 6:16:52 pm
  • I would get them both pressed. They could increase the grade of them a little.
  • Posted: December 29, 2015 8:33:22 pm
  • and pressing them doesnt degrade from getting it graded, it actually helps, CGC doesnt consider pressing a restoration...so you could def get more $ by doing it...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Udon Entertainment's Darkstalkers: Jedah Issue # 1
  • Image Comics's Something Epic Issue # 9b
  • Ablaze Media's The Prism Issue # 7c
  • Artists Writers & Artisans's U & I  Issue # 3b