feature requests

Heroes Show Discussion 10.05.09 (Comic Book Forums)

• Heroes Show Discussion 10.05.09

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 5, 2009 7:01:39 am
  • **Possible Spoilers**

Hiro rescues strangers as a means of distraction from his own peril; Angela tentatively guides Nathan through his past; and Tracy decides to make a splash in her efforts to get her job back.

Discuss show here.
    klaus_komix

Currently Collecting:
    Amazing Spider-Man, Batman And Robin, Batman, Dark Avengers, Deadpool, Detective Comics, Gotham City Sirens, Invincible Iron Man, New Avengers, The Outsiders, Punisher, Red Robin, Ultimate Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Batgirl, Batman: Streets Of Gotham, Uncanny X-Men
  • Posted: October 5, 2009 10:07:59 am
  • watched the 1sr 3 seasons of heroes.
    have not got to watch any of this season yet.
    i'll be looking foward to weekly show updates, thanks klaus.
  • Posted: October 5, 2009 2:42:43 pm
  • The thing about this season is that Hiro hasn't had much screen time. If your a fan of Hiro your probably frustrated like me. They set up what was an intriguing premise for him (spoiler) with him going back and setting up Ando and his sister. However they haven't even got back to his storyline since. Hiro is the most developed character on the show and Masi Oka's acting is a high point. Lets hope he gets some more time tonight as it seems he will.
    klaus_komix

Currently Collecting:
    Amazing Spider-Man, Batman And Robin, Batman, Dark Avengers, Deadpool, Detective Comics, Gotham City Sirens, Invincible Iron Man, New Avengers, The Outsiders, Punisher, Red Robin, Ultimate Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Batgirl, Batman: Streets Of Gotham, Uncanny X-Men
  • Posted: October 5, 2009 4:05:46 pm
  • I think something I am seeing with Heroes is that it could easily become like Lost and NEVER END.

I still always look forward to it...will have to record it tonight as I am taking Lexi to dance.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: October 5, 2009 5:45:02 pm
  • I feel like if I give up on Heroes, as much as I do want to, it will become the great show it was in the first season. You mentioned Lost and that's a show I was about to give up on, but luckily I kept with it and I'm glad I did. Lost is my favorite show of all time now. Another season like the last and it will be canceled by NBC who runs a short leash on shows nowadays. Will see what the ratings are for tonight's episode tomorrow and pray for the remaining fans they improve from last weeks.
    klaus_komix

Currently Collecting:
  • Posted: October 5, 2009 8:01:27 pm
  • Good
    Hiro and Ando, Traci's storyline got more interesting, Sylar- FTW.

Bad
    Nathan and Peter- Boring and so whiny, Bad guys don't seem like a big enough threat.
    klaus_komix

Currently Collecting:
  • Posted: October 6, 2009 6:58:32 am
  • EW.com Review
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/06/heroes-recap-acceptance/

We’re gonna do something a little different with this week’s Heroes recap. Sure, I could blow on for hundreds and hundreds of words about what worked in “Acceptance” and what didn’t. Instead, I’ll pick out a couple of noteworthy threads, and end with a “bold” prediction.

WHAT WORKED

An overall sense of cohesiveness. “Acceptance” was about four characters who did just that — came to grips with who they are, and what they’re here to do: Noah, Hiro, Nathan, and Tracy. I particularly liked Noah’s aimlessness as he sat for a career-counseling session with Claire. Episode writer Bryan Fuller has always had some insight into this company man, and he brought out the futility of Noah Bennet — he devoted his life to his job, and without the job, there’s no life.

The Swoosie Kurtz gambit. Nathan visits Millie, the mother of the girl Nathan accidentally killed in a pool mishap (which was then covered up by Angela Petrelli), and confesses to the deed. While at a cordial dinner with Angela, Millie exacts her own revenge: She hired a thug to grab Nathan in a parking garage, drive him out to the boonies, and shoot him in a shallow grave. And all the while, Millie is as still and cool as a mountain lake. Nice to see another actress of a certain age who can bring the creepy.

WHAT DIDN’T

Hiro’s time loops. Isn’t this a guy who knows he’s going to die because of all the temporal jaunts he takes? So what does he do? Travel into the past dozens of times to save one suicidal wage slave who got fired for photocopying his . I get that it’s the sheer monotony/inevitability of it that teaches Hiro his lesson — but why didn’t Hiro just grab him from the ledge of the building he was gonna jump from? It got Hiro to an interesting place — willing to open up to his sister about his superpowers — but I wish it hadn’t been so rudimentarily frustrating. (Plus, shouldn’t his continued pollution of the timeline have some significant ramifications at some point? Heroes used to make a lot more of the butterfly effect…now it pretends as if it doesn’t exist.)

THE “BOLD” PREDICTION

Slowly but surely, the story will force all the characters into an inevitable confrontation with the Samuel the Earthmover-Inkbender and Sylar the Shapeshifter. Not that bold, actually: Does anyone really think that something different will happen? I wish I could see something else on the horizon, but that’s just the Heroes m.o., and I don’t think Tim Kring has another card in his deck. Every season has been about building the team to defeat the threat, and during every hiatus, that team is mysteriously dismantled. Doesn’t he realize that one of the great joys of group comic books like The X-Men, The Avengers, and Justice League of America comes with watching what that team does after they’re together?

There is no second act to this story — without one, Heroes will always feel like it’s spinning its wheels.

Still, this was an improvement over last week’s episode. Even though the reappearance of the Sylar body was the only real plot progression, the time spent with the characters was well handled. What’d you think? Are we on the right path, or still floundering? And I never thought in a million years I’d be asking this, but where’s Mohinder?
    klaus_komix

Currently Collecting:
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 4
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 6e
  • Vertical's Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun Soft Cover # 7
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine Issue # 46e