feature requests

Star Wars Episode 9 (Comic Book Forums)

• Star Wars Episode 9

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 2, 2020 10:33:58 am
  • I assume that a bunch of CBR members have seen this movie over the holidays. It's still quite new, so no spoilers.
    I did not like Episode 7 as I found it was just a re-make of Episode 4.
    I did not like Episode 8 as I found it to be very stupid with too many WTF moments.
    I did not like Episode 9 for the same reason as 8. This should have been two or three movies instead of cramming all that story into one movie.

I would love to hear some more Feedback here.
  • Posted: January 2, 2020 12:46:33 pm
  • I haven't seen it yet but am planning on going maybe this weekend. I'm going into it with bad expectations as I'm sure a lot are. The trailer showing Rey and Kylo fighting in this epic ocean scene in a tsunami is just too much for me. It reminds me of the Episode 3 fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin with the lava surfboards and all that over-the-top, Hollywood choreographed cr@p. I think for $10 it will keep me entertained for a few hours so it'll all be fine but again, not expecting much.

**Side note** - Just to kind of fact check myself on the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin battle because I haven't seen it in years I decided to re-watch it. Pulled it up on YouTube and I didn't even make it 45 seconds.

**Update** - I forced myself to power through the whole scene. d'oh!Why the h3ll would you jump onto a 10" pipe over a massive river of lava and fight?! How could anything survive hovering mere feet above said river of LAVA?!?! What an absolute piece of #$%&-ing garbage this is, this is literally the DUMBEST $hit I've ever seen lol. Brick wall

**Man, this profanity filter they installed is pretty brutal lol. Can't even say cr@p?!

Last edited January 2, 2020 12:52:37 pm
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: January 2, 2020 8:35:38 pm
  • Saw it with my kids, it was the 'Return of the Jedi' of this Trilogy. Lots of feel good moments, but a bit of insipid moments made it far from really good, let alone great. A good Star Wars movie, not at all a classic.
    I agree the story felt rushed and forced and some of the revelations were unearned. Felt like they created that 3 days before they started shooting the movie.
    One kid thought it was alright (except for the romance) and the other really liked it.
    I enjoyed the newest Jumanji more.
  • Posted: January 13, 2020 7:20:05 am
  • This isn't a spoiler but the trilogy was ruined by episode 9 on screen, ruined by episode 8 off screen.

First, off-screen: I cannot believe Disney paid billions of dollars to make this new trilogy and did not have, and enforce, a consistent story throughout. You cannot have someone come in, outline a story, then in the middle have someone change almost everything .... only to then let the original person back in to essentially retcon everything. Unbelievable. There's a reason authors don't write a novel, then 1/3rd of the way in call someone else up and say 'Hey, continue this but you can do whatever you want, you don't have to follow any of my outline". To then take it back 1/3rd of the way later and try to finish it like the original outline.

On screen, those problems are clearly evident. Episode 8 was actually a good move in hindsight because Rian Johnson essentially said "Let's get rid of all the typical tired stuff we're already seen in Star Wars". So recapping Episode 8, let's get rid of:

1. 'desert orphan has a birthright' -- Rey is told her parents were nobody special.
    2. 'big bad guy who you have to beat in the end' -- Snope is discarded halfway through.
    3. 'new bad guy in Vader mask' -- Ren destroys his mask to start new
    4. 'old jedi master saves the day' -- Luke tells her he doesn't care and is done fighting.

Rian Johnson was kind of saying "Enough of this retreading old ground, let's move on". Unfortunately, this wasn't done at the start of Episode 7. So then JJ Abrams, who doesn't really come up with new stuff very well, was forced to go to the well and remake Return of the Jedi along with reversing a lot of in Episode 8.

No spoiler, but he even had Ren go back and fix his mask. Almost talking to Rian Johnson "Hey, I liked the mask ... give it back!"

They should never have tried to include the original people. fast forward 100 years and have a brand new story with the original six just being legend. Instead we're force-fed member berries.

I can't list many of the other problems w/o spoilers but I'm tired of typing anyway Smile I don't think I'll ever watch Episode 7-9 again on purpose. I even liked the prequels and think ALL the movies have flaws, but 7-9 really the bed.
  • Posted: January 13, 2020 2:39:57 pm
  • Abysslord, I enjoyed your critique and agree with everything you said. ApplauseApplause
  • Posted: January 14, 2020 1:27:19 pm
  • I watched episode 7 when it came first came out at the theater. I thought it was silly how Rey was a master of too many things: she's a mechanic, she's a master pilot, she uses a lightsaber masterfully, she's more than adept at using the force.

Where's her hero's journey? How am I supposed to relate to a character when it doesn't show her earning any of her skills? She's nothing more than a Mary Sue. Boring. It would be the same if she was male. So don't try to turn my argument about gender.

I finished watching episode 8 The Last Jedi for the first time last night. It was on TBS so I DVRed it and watched it. It was basically rubbish. Luke is now a killer who sought to end the life of his nephew? Really?!? The same Luke who never gave up on his father decides to give up on his nephew and strike him down? That is so out of character for Luke it's just unbelievably stupid. Plus he just tosses his lightsaber away.Nope. Not buying it.

Rose Tico shows up and talks about how she stuns people and has them locked away if they refuse to fight for the rebels. Really?? Isn't that what the First Order would do?

Then old Purple Hair shows up and neuters Poe Dameron.

Then Rose slams her speeder craft into Finn and neuters him.

Luke's big moment at the end is massively lackluster.

Some kid with a broom who is force sensitive makes an appearance at the end.

I just didn't think episode 8 was very good. Different strokes, I guess.

I haven't seen episode 9. Will wait for rental or watch it free on TV like I did episode 8.

• Posted: January 15, 2020 10:40:52 am
  • For me, there's Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (until the Ewoks showed up) that are worth watching.
  • Posted: January 15, 2020 11:16:19 am
  • I agree that Episode 4, 5, and 6 (minus the Ewoks) are the worthy Star Wars movies. Don't forget Rogue One (or Episode 3.9, as I call it). That is the only other Star Wars related movie I have really enjoyed in the last twenty years.
    I also liked Solo and The Mandalorian, but not near as much as the above listed movies.
  • Posted: January 18, 2020 8:13:34 am
  • logerine said:

Luke's big moment at the end is massively lackluster.

Some kid with a broom who is force sensitive makes an appearance at the end.

I agree with your points mostly but I actually thought Luke's moment was pretty cool. And in the context of the story, the universe had no more hope. Everyone thought the Rebels lost, Jedi are gone, .... we're doomed to live under an empire.

So what Luke did was do something completely legendary and magical. The story goes around of how he stood up to all those lasers and gunfire and didn't get hurt. One Jedi can stand up against countless enemies. That story inspires hope and wonder throughout the universe that it ISN'T over yet .... there could be just a few others like that and they'll stand a chance.

So then the last shot shows kids re-enacting that scene and talking about how awesome Luke was that he did that. Showing the kid take the broom and pretend to fight shows how there IS hope for the next generation to stand up and fight against tyranny no matter the odds.

Of course Episode 9 did nothing with this idea, but that's what Rian was going for there. It wasn't just a kid at the end sweeping Smile

Last edited January 18, 2020 8:14:54 am
  • Posted: January 19, 2020 5:07:09 pm
  • I finally went to see SW episode 9. It seemed to be pretty much a rail road trip of good scenes and bad scenes. I would have to say that any one who watches the series in order would have to or eventually see the tthings repeat as they did.

Although I didn't like the tidbits of tiresome slapstick comedy that seemed ot be put in to keep the movie rollong along. I agree that Ep # 9 seemed to go on too long. I was surprised when they went ahead and planned and formed an attack on Umpteen number of destroyers, but didn't seem to ever plan on getting help from the galaxy before this.

I liked the Holy Cr@p moments that were in this, Rei being Palpetines heir. I do agree that the movie could have been made either a lot shorter or into a # 9 and # 10. At the end I was a bit confused as to why she gave the name at the end. BUT That right there gives way to another Star Wars series !! It could easily allow a hidden new race of NON Jedi and NON Sith. But...with the way that they hve been writing this and the other Marvel series...you never know.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 58 years, 45 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 48unknown-a
  • Marvel Comics's Fantastic Four Issue # 25e
  • Dial "C" for Comics's I am Anne Frank Hard Cover # 1
  • Image Comics's Rat Queens Issue # 22