feature requests

X Men: Dark Phoenix movie (Comic Book Forums)

• X-Men: Dark Phoenix movie

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 12:29:02 pm
  • I finally saw the newest X-Men movie and I now know why this movie didn't do so well in the box office. It wasn't garbage by any means, but quite confusing at times.

Didn't Marvel release this story in their first incarnation of the X-Men (X-Men: Last Stand in 2006)? I understand they are on their second version of the X-Men currently, but couldn't they have covered another X-Men story? There's tonnes of them from the '80s that would have worked. Yes, this isn't a re-release of the 2006 movie, it's quite different. My two main problems are that they killed off Rogue (played by the alluring Jennifer Lawrence) and Sophie Turner is not a good enough actor to be a lead in ANY movie. I'm not into putting anyone down and Ms. Turner might be a lovely young lady, but her acting skills need work.

After watching Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home earlier this year, it's no surprise that Dark Phoenix was the weakest of the four. I have no idea on what Marvel plans for the next X-Men movie. They better be careful, though.
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 2:39:52 pm
  • Of all the X-Men movies I thought it was one of the worst. I actually really enjoyed Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, both of which I thoughr were judged harshly by the critics. But Dark Phoenix was all over the place. Yes the story line happened in X-Men: Last Stand and it goes to show that the studio does not care about continuity (heh, kind of like the Marvel comics). The dialogue and acting were subpar. I was bored throughout most of the movie and it felt like there was no depth. And just like with comics, the only thing I guess that will save the franchise is a reboot.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 3:21:49 pm
  • I still haven't seen it, but you said, "My two main problems are that they killed off Rogue." Do you mean Mystique?

Also, it would've been fun to see them adapt the Mutant Massacre storyline instead of rehashing Dark Phoenix.
    Working on my co-creator owned comic book.
  • Posted: October 4, 2019 2:28:00 am
  • The best thing about this movie is that it will be the last or one of the last (depending on whether they ever release the New Mutants or not) films from the Fox studios version of the X-Men. Sure there were some good films (Logan, Wolverine, X-Men 2, First Class, Days of Future Past) but there were so many forgettable efforts as well. And worse than that, my biggest complaint with the X franchise is the same as what I have with the DCU. Namely, there is no master plan, no vision, no continuity. It's like both of the creators just said, "Hey, we have this cool property that the kids will all come to see if we make a movie!" They just threw stuff at a wall and hoped it would stick.
    My hope is that Marvel and the MCU will now treat the X-Men and the X-Universe the same way they did the Sony Spider-Man films. Essentially they are fan-fiction that took place in a universe far far away, and have nothing to do with our current universe and continuity.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: October 4, 2019 4:12:28 pm
  • Marvel didn't make this. Fox did. If they indeed killed Jennifer Lawrence's character (Mystique, not Rogue) you should have warned people you were going to spoil it.
  • Posted: October 5, 2019 2:55:56 pm
  • It was Mystique and not Rogue, my boner. Sorry about the spoiler as well, but this is a four month old movie.
  • Posted: October 25, 2019 10:52:40 am
  • junobeach said:
    Marvel didn't make this. Fox did. If they indeed killed Jennifer Lawrence's character (Mystique, not Rogue) you should have warned people you were going to spoil it.

You can never get past a few little spoilers. But that seems to be a big one.

I saw the trailers early on and put this movie on my 'Buy the DVD' instead of 'Going to the theater' List. To me if the movie looks good in the trailer, than I like to see it in the theater. With the way the prices have gone that list grows shorter and shorter. LOL
  • Posted: October 25, 2019 2:30:06 pm
  • CoolDamn Canadians ruining everything Laughing Cool
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: October 31, 2019 1:38:14 pm
  • I haven't watched it, and honestly don't have plans to. I really didn't like the original story, anyway. I also could've done without X-men Apocalypse. I thought First Class was far-and-away the best flick, but that's just me. I also thought Days of Future Past was decent too. I think the powers-that-be see(or saw) a bit of a 'cash-cow' when it comes to the movies so, they just threw whatever 'out-there' and didn't care too much how it was continuity-wise, or didn't put as much thought into it, as they probably should've..and we have mediocre movies. Just my 2 cents. Smile
  • Posted: November 5, 2019 10:14:10 am
  • I think the powers-that-be see(or saw) a bit of a 'cash-cow' when it comes to the movies so, they just threw whatever 'out-there' and didn't care too much how it was continuity-wise, or didn't put as much thought into it, as they probably should've..and we have mediocre movies. Just my 2 cents.

I think this is true, you would have thought that they would have done a tie in with the avengers series; seeing as they released it so close to the last one. Then again, I would have thought that they would have come up with a better story line. Its not like the research material isn't out there.

I am in agreement with Yosi, the earlier x-men movies were better. I can sort of see that they were trying to follow the last one with the finding of Jean Grey and all, but I would have rather seen a different story put to screen.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 54 years, 31 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Battlepug Issue # 3
  • Vault Comics's Cult Classic: Return to Whisper TPB # 1
  • Yen Press's Kiss and White Lily for My Dearest Girl  Soft Cover # 10
  • Marvel Comics's Punisher: Soviet Issue # 1
CBR.com member auction items ?