feature requests

Shazam! Movie (Comic Book Forums)

• Shazam! Movie

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 14, 2019 3:41:05 pm
  • I just watched this movie last night and I wanted to see what other CBR users thought about it.

I certainly appreciate DC trying to put out a "lighter" movie. It was about flippin' time, if you ask me! Unfortunately that doesn't mean it was good. It wasn't garbage either, just not an excellent yarn of a super-hero movie.

I don't want to give away too much, but my main problem with the movie was that our main hero Shazam! didn't actually have a super-hero name throughout the entire movie. He was called many different names (none of them excellent) except Shazam. Um, why was the title of the movie Shazam then? I'm so confused.

Last edited May 14, 2019 3:41:53 pm
  • Posted: May 14, 2019 6:05:50 pm
  • It reminded of the movie BIG.
    I don't know/remember much about SHAZAM as it has been a few decades since I last read any books on him, I don't remember him retaining the mind of the teen when he changed into SHAZAM...is this how it worked in the comics?
    I enjoyed it as it was one of the better movies DC has put out.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 14, 2019 6:18:57 pm
  • Isn't he supposed to have the wisdom of Solomon? Didn't see any evidence of that.

I thought it was terrible. I will never see another DC movie in the theater.

First scene with Billy and he's committing a felony. Oh, but it's for a good cause...so throw in a misdemeanor too, just to show his lack of character.
  • Posted: May 16, 2019 12:27:50 pm
  • After seeing the preview, It drew me away from seeing this movie. I couldn't bear dropping the $11.00 on a movie with bad jokes and such.
  • Posted: May 16, 2019 1:30:30 pm
  • I haven't watch the movie yet. Never really been a fan of the character but I believe that even in comics he does not refer to himself as Shazam. That was the wizards name, so he had to be careful not say his name, and would just call him "the wizard". Billy calls out "Shazam!" to transform back-and-forth.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 16, 2019 4:00:46 pm
  • Personally I think Marvel went all out to get their Captain Marvel movie out before DC could so they could use the name... that's why DC had to go with SHAZAM, although I always thought of him as SHAZAM and not Captain Marvel.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 16, 2019 8:48:08 pm
  • Canuck said:
    Personally I think Marvel went all out to get their Captain Marvel movie out before DC could so they could use the name... that's why DC had to go with SHAZAM, although I always thought of him as SHAZAM and not Captain Marvel.
    Marvel snatched the rights for the name Captain Marvel in the '60s. DC cannot call their character that.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Captain Marvel Issue # 1-3rd print
  • Marvel Comics's Captain Marvel Issue # 2 - 2nd print
  • Marvel Comics's Old Man Quill Issue # 5
  • Mayamada Ltd's Serious TPB # 1
CBR.com member auction items ?