feature requests

Solo (Comic Book Forums)

• Solo

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 12, 2019 1:05:11 am
  • I know, I know. . .Star Wars is science fiction.

But I'm gonna talk about "Solo" anyway.

Our conflicting work schedules prevented me and my daughter from catching Solo in the theater, but we got together for a Netflix night over this weekend and finally got to see it.

There's been a lot of hate out there for this movie, and they say it's pretty much killed the idea of the standalone "Star Wars Story" movies, but I honestly thought it was pretty good.

I know we didn't really NEED a Han Solo origin story, but I like that there's a Star Wars movie that focuses on the dirty criminal underbelly of the galaxy instead of the larger Imperial/Rebel conflict and Jedi family drama.

They COULD have gotten someone who looked a little more like a young Harrison Ford to play the main role, but that's really my only big gripe about this movie.

Was this movie a victim of bandwagon toxic fandom? Because I'm not seeing why so many people disliked it. Thoughts?
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: February 12, 2019 11:08:56 am
  • atom said:
    Was this movie a victim of bandwagon toxic fandom? Because I'm not seeing why so many people disliked it. Thoughts?

I wanted to see this when it came out in theaters but didn't get the chance. I see it is on Netflix now and am planning on watching it soon. I know it didn't get the best reviews but I thought it looked decent enough and with your assessment Atom I will definitely give it a go. Any movie with the Millennium Falcon in it is worth watching in my opinion. I'll let you know my thoughts.

Last edited February 12, 2019 12:58:39 pm
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: February 12, 2019 11:48:39 am
  • I saw it in theater and thought it was a great movie, especially compared to the other Disney/Star Wars films: The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi. Not talking Solo felt like it actually belonged in the Star Wars universe. The actor did a great job of playing Han Solo. It would be impossible to find a Harrison Ford look-alike at a younger age, but I believe he captured the spirit of the character well. It's too bad it didn't do well in theaters. I think Disney left a bad taste to moviegoers after The Last Jedi. They decided to not move forward on the Boba Fett movie because of it.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: February 12, 2019 2:33:53 pm
  • I missed it in the theater as well. I caught the first 30 minutes of it on Netflix, but got pulled away to take care of other business. What I saw, I enjoyed, and plan on getting back to watching the rest of it. I haven't read any reviews on the movie, so it is a little surprising there were many negative ones, given the Star Wars fan base.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: February 12, 2019 3:30:48 pm
  • I never saw Solo in the theaters as well. After Star Wars Episode 7&8, I was very ready to jump off watching any newer Star Wars movies in the future.
    Of course, then came along Rogue One, which was ten times better than those other two. My best friend who is a Star Wars nut suggested I try Solo without reading anything, or listening to other's opinions. I watched it and thought it was great. I'm not 100% sure why this movie got attacked (Russian bots?), but it was much better than people are saying it is.
  • Posted: February 12, 2019 11:16:28 pm
  • I mentioned characters I want to see before in an different post before and when I saw the headline I honestly thought maybe it was an announcement for something of the Marvel Character of the same name. Haha. Kind of ironic how Disney owns two Solos (Marvel/Lucasfilms). Anyways I haven't watched this one yet because I haven't watched any Star Wars films in many years and was planning on watching the old ones again first before going in. One thing I heard from someone is that because the character is so iconic being played by Harrison Ford that that was enough to make people shy away. Interesting how people get attached to actors as characters such as much debates about who will replace Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Anyways the trailer looked good and I will touch back on this topic when I eventually get around to watching the movie.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Bounty Hunters TPB # 7
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 490b
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 2 - 3rd print
  • Absolute Comics Group's White Widow Issue # 4easter-b