feature requests

Aquaman (2018) (Comic Book Forums)

• Aquaman (2018)

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 28, 2018 10:19:38 pm
  • Aquaman was a financial and critical success, but I was bored throughout the entire movie. I assume everyone else liked it?

Last edited January 9, 2019 7:10:16 pm
  • Posted: December 29, 2018 11:14:41 am
  • I haven't seen it yet but there's nothing wrong with not liking the movie.Smile
  • Posted: December 29, 2018 8:45:28 pm
  • I thought it moved from silly to boring to bad to terrible. Trident fight!
  • Posted: December 29, 2018 11:03:36 pm
  • I actually didn't care for it. I have a theory that if the trailers suck, the movie will too. If the trailers are awesome, the movie will be. If they are so-so, you get the drift.

For me the trailers were so-so with the only promising trailer Avengers.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 30, 2018 12:25:22 am
  • Personally i liked the movie. IMO the best DC movie to date...Ive never been an Aquaman fan, and never really read up on him either, but the movie was very good....
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Captain Marvel: Braver & Mightier #1 Ebay Exclusive
    Iron Man American Welding Promo #1: 2nd print
    Swamp Thing Giant #1: Walmart Exclusive
    Old Lady Harley #5: Geriatric Joker
    Avengers Assemble ft. Captain Citrus Promo
    Superman Adventures #1 Doritos Promo
  • Posted: December 31, 2018 9:37:05 am
  • dough boy said:
    If the trailers are awesome, the movie will be. If they are so-so, you get the drift.

Trailers can be deceiving. I've seen a lot of movies that were pretty bad and had great trailers. I haven't seen Aquaman yet but one of DC's worst habits is that in all of their superhero movies they have a tendency to show way too much in trailers. They've done this with every single one of their movies. Just watching the next one for Shazam, there's so much revealed in that trailer that I feel like I don't even have to watch the movie. I got that same feeling with Justice League and Aquaman.

Last edited December 31, 2018 9:37:56 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: December 31, 2018 10:01:13 am
  • The best action scenes were in the trailer. I actually thought that I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I rank it more like a 5 because it was so boring.It seems like every DC character on screen is hung up with their mother.
  • Posted: January 8, 2019 10:14:20 am
  • I just finally saw Aquaman last night. I'm with Big Boss (again) and found it rather boring. I was ready to tap out a few times as it is quite the long movie. Sure the underwater scenes were gorgeous to look at. I wasn't a fan of the "flying" underwater. What, no one swims? I'm giving Aquaman a solid 5.1 out of 10.
  • Posted: January 8, 2019 12:10:56 pm
  • brucifer said:
    I just finally saw Aquaman last night. I'm with Big Boss (again) and found it rather boring. I was ready to tap out a few times as it is quite the long movie. Sure the underwater scenes were gorgeous to look at. I wasn't a fan of the "flying" underwater. What, no one swims? I'm giving Aquaman a solid 5.1 out of 10.
    I thought the same thing. It looked like they were flying when they weren't walking around on underwater floors. Why have underwater floors to begin with?
  • Posted: January 8, 2019 12:14:19 pm
  • Have you not seen Spongebob?
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: January 8, 2019 12:26:06 pm
  • DB are you saying we need to see SpongeBob before watching Aquaman?
  • Posted: January 8, 2019 12:45:21 pm
  • Yup! It explains the Aquaman cities so well.

• Posted: January 8, 2019 3:29:04 pm
  • My Personal Pros: Mamoa is likeable, sympathetic and convincing as this version of Aquaman. The action scenes were not as frenetic as almost any other DCU movie. I could actually tell what was going on in the fight scenes relatively well. Nothing jumped out at me as OMG, this is so dumb, which seems to be a feature of most DCU movies to date.

Cons: I only felt the need to see it once. It felt either a little long, or like the pacing could have been better. Not sure what I'd cut off the top of my head. As I sat through it, I felt that there were a number of scenes where I said "oh yeah, they did that in..." name your other comic book movie. But I think they did most of those well and most movies do this to some degree, so it is a minor quibble.

My 2nd favorite DCU movie. It overcame a lot of my reservations. I don't watch trailers if I can help it, so nothing significant was spoiled. I'd watch another one, and it's given me some hope that the DCU is starting to head in a more entertaining direction.
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
  • Posted: January 9, 2019 7:27:12 pm
  • The "ring of fire" with no water boiling? I thought that was pretty dumb. The fate of Nicole Kidman and everyone's feelings about it... dumb. An action/adventure movie with all of destiny falling on one character's shoulders... tiresome and dumb.

I do think heroes should have providence and overcome based upon who they are rather than sheer luck. I grow very tired of reluctant heroes fulfilling some kind of prophesy everyone has about them. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad if the character was actually an introvert. Having an extrovert take initiative to do everything except that one thing they need to do to save the day makes them look like a wimp.
  • Posted: January 17, 2019 2:41:52 pm
  • So I finally went and saw Aquaman. I thought that they did a good job with the overall graphics.

I thought that the story plot was weak, it seemed as if they were trying to cram too much into one movie. Aquaman's mother and father meeting, his teachings, the battle for him to be claimed king and Manta popping up here and there to try and kill Aquaman.

Over all i think that if they were to split up the story into a series of 3 it would have seemed more complete, like they did with the Dark Knight. Keep in mind, I don't know a lot about the DC universe and I am behind in my super hero flix.
    Carlm
  • Posted: January 29, 2019 11:39:59 am
  • I thought it ran too long. I also thought it was a missed opportunity not to mention Skartaris by name because that is obviously where they ended up in one part of the movie.
  • Posted: March 22, 2019 10:02:11 am
  • Finally got to seeing this last night and I really enjoyed it. Considering the last time I ever saw Aquaman on screen was watching the cartoon "Super Friends" in the 70s. He's really come a long way. Parts of it reminded me of Wonder Woman and Thor. It's not a perfect movie but it has more good going for it than bad. It's typical of most superhero films. There's a great intro story that brings the character into the modern world, a lot of action, great cgi visuals, some comedy, and good actors. I guess coming into it not having high expectations may have played a part. And from what you guys were saying I was expecting the worst, but I enjoyed this film more than Captain Marvel, which I recently saw too.

Last edited March 22, 2019 10:04:28 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
18 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 50 years, 305 days, 2 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • D.C. Thomson & Co.'s Commando: War Stories in Pictures Issue # 1016
  • Wizards of the Coast's Dragon Magazine Issue # 42
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars Issue # 63
  • Antarctic Press's Tainted Love Issue # 1