feature requests

Michael B Jordan being considered for vacated role of Superman (Comic Book Forums)

• Michael B Jordan being considered for vacated role of Superman

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 5:36:55 pm
  • It's a new way to screw up. I won't watch it. If they want to make him another Kryptonian, I wouldn't care. I'm tired of characters changing race as if we live in a world of shape shifters. They can do what they want and I don't care. I'm just not going to watch it. I want to see a movie about MLK cast with Larry the Cable Guy if color doesn't matter to define a character.
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 6:43:28 pm
  • Ok I guess?
    I have never been a Superman fan in the comics or movies, but will still probably check it out as I have done the previous movies.
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 9:27:40 pm
  • This would destroy the Superman movie franchise in a heart beat. Why would any fan want to watch a character that isn't the same one followed in comics? It's about as foolish as casting Jackie Chan as Batman. I better shut up and not give them any ideas...d'oh!

Henry Cavill's role as the Man of Steel has been great. In my opinion he has been the 2nd best Superman in film, following Christopher Reeve. After the atrocity of Justice League last year, I feel like Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman, were the only cast roles that Warner/DC got right.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 5:30:50 pm
  • There was a lot of talk on the radio this morning concerning Henry Cavill's departure. It did get me thinking...if Michael B. Jordan was his replacement, isn't it about the same as John Henry Irons (Steel) taking the helm in the 90's?
    Again, I am not a Superman fan, nor have I followed much of the books, but I remember the Reign of the Supermen books/tie-ins following the Death, and Funeral for a friend books. There was like a thousand books on death, funeral, reign...I never kept up with it.
    “I don't wear white to hide myself. I wear it so they'll see me coming. So they'll know who it is. 'Cause when they see the white, it doesn't matter how good of a target I am. Their hands shake so bad, they couldn't hit the moon.”
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 5:43:02 pm
  • Kal-El is an alien, but he has mostly been portrayed as a white man in the comics. My question is, why hire an actor who is not white to play a historically white fictional character? What's the point?

I don't want a white Spawn or a white Blade, or a white Storm. They were all created as black characters. And I feel the same about characters who were created as white characters. I enjoy characters the most when they are portrayed physically and emotionally as they were created in the comics.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do best is buy/sell comics.
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 5:48:25 pm
  • @logerine
    I totally get your point, and where it is coming from. I guess it just hadn't really bothered me much, not being a Superman fan. I do think the idea of a potential change is fostered by the current political climate
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 6:37:33 pm
  • I guess there is a precedent in the comics. LOL!
  • Posted: September 15, 2018 12:55:19 pm
  • I have no problem with updates and changes to our beloved heroes. It's going to happen whether we like it or not. I DO NOT like pandering. This casting choice (Michael Jordan is a good actor) comes off as an attempt to appeal to everyone. Bad idea.
    Hey DC why not invent a good character who isn't white? Then stick him in a movie. Sounds simple.
  • Posted: September 15, 2018 3:25:41 pm
  • Of course characters will change over time, but I don't consider a change of race of a decades old character an "update." I do get your point, bruc. And I agree that DC should create new non-white characters for minority actors to play.

Last edited September 15, 2018 6:05:45 pm
    I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do best is buy/sell comics.
  • Posted: September 16, 2018 10:34:12 am
  • DC is a hot mess. Don't they know they already have this character that they can actually work with without messing with Superman.

• Posted: September 16, 2018 3:34:46 pm
  • I agree. Create a NEW beloved character that is the race you want and cast the appropriate actor in the role. They can be latino, black, Asian, Muslim.... whatever they like. It'll become popular on it's own merits rather than milking off of an already established character.
  • Posted: September 17, 2018 4:10:49 am
  • @ Rapha.....Wait, you mean you don't want to see Chris Tucker play robin to Jackie Chan's Batman???

I agree with Spector's view on Cavil's portrayal of supes, 2nd only to Mr. Reeves. I also like Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor because he seemed to be capable of pulling off more physical stuff that luthor did in the comics.
    I did find Gene Hackman's Luthor entertaining but it was more of a bumbling idiot type bad guy to me and we all know Luthor is no idiot. I'm just glad they didn't opt for the c.g.i. purple power suit a la Green Lantern for Luthor.
13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 47 years, 267 days, 14 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Death or Glory Issue # 5b
  • Marvel Comics's Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk TPB # 1
  • Image Comics's Savage Dragon Issue # 238
  • Marvel Comics's Thor Issue # 5