feature requests

Does Black Panther REALLY deserve a "Best Picture" Oscar Nomination? (Comic Book Forums)

• Does Black Panther REALLY deserve a "Best Picture" Oscar Nomination?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 12:35:36 am
  • https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-best-picture-oscar-campaign/

So I FINALLY saw Black Panther this weekend when I bought my stepson the DVD for his birthday. I thought it was pretty good. On a 10 scale, I'd give it a solid 7.

It was an interesting setting and mood for a superhero movie, and the story was pretty good. . . but a lot of the computer SFX were more than a bit sketchy for 2018. . .especially scenes that were of Black Panther fighting. They were more on par with the first (2002) Spider-Man movie than what you would expect today. I've seen better CGI on XBox One cutscenes, to be brutally honest.

The car chase scene set in Korea also seemed tacked on and longer than it needed to be. . .sort of like the writers felt they really needed to show SOMETHING other than Wakanda and that was what they came up with.

Now, I'm not saying Black Panther is a bad movie. Like I said. . .a solid 7 out of 10. But I'm a pretty big Black Panther comic book fan and I think it could have been better.

AND SO THE QUESTION AT HAND BECOMES:
    Does Black Panther REALLY deserve a "Best Picture" Oscar Nomination?

In my humble opinion, I say no. It was pretty good, but since when does "Pretty Good" translate to "Best"? I think Disney MIGHT be playing a bit of a race card on this one.

Last edited September 12, 2018 12:38:48 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 1:52:55 am
  • I got a low grade bootleg of this when it was still at the theater. It was pretty poor quality, so i checked it out when it hit Netflix again. I pretty much agree with you. It was good, but not as good as a number of other superhero flicks over the past several years. Definitely not hating on it. 7-8 rating for sure, but not quite sure there was anything oscar worthy in it. I enjoyed the character far more in Civil War.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 10:30:43 am
  • I'd also give it a 7 or 8. I too noticed the CGI was sub-par when I watched the film. Mainly in the scenes of Black Panther when he was in suit and fighting. It was like watching something on a last generation video game console. I'm surprised Marvel let that slip through.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 11:12:37 am
  • I'm in the same boat as mentioned above. It was a good movie, entertaining for sure, very predictable, but I didn't think it was something I will remember and talk about for a long time. I will watch it again sometime for sure but I'm not in a hurry. No Oscar nod from this guy.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 11:41:13 am
  • The "people" running the Oscars have back-tracked on awarding an Oscar for "popularity" only. Don't expect any superhero movies winning an award unless it's for FX or other technical .
  • Posted: September 12, 2018 5:40:21 pm
  • It should be nominated. Whether it wins would depend upon what other film s are nominated. I think the movie had a really positive message.

• Posted: September 13, 2018 2:11:21 am
  • I can't really say if it should be nominated as I haven't seen about 98% of the films released last year. I did like it a lot though, faults and flaws included. I loved many of the characters in it and thought it was very well done. What I would really like to see nominated, however, is Patrick Stewart for supporting actor in "Logan" and if Panther is being considered for Best Picture it probably should be too.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 15, 2018 1:15:34 am
  • Agreed, Tenzil. In my humble opinion, Black Panther was pretty good but Logan was a better movie. It's actually probably more in line with what is usually "Best Picture" material.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 18, 2018 3:56:15 am
  • As long as DiCaprio isn't being mauled by any wildlife this year, I'd say it has a good chance...
    Sell trade or barter cards coins and comics
  • Posted: September 30, 2018 11:27:44 pm
  • It seems that no comic book movie could EVER come close to Best Picture. I think that some of the movies that have been winning in the past didn't deserve it and that the Academy leans towards the public opinion each ear there is a rave.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that there really weren't that many good movies that came out this year. I always need to see the previews before my movies JUST for this reason. I will either find myself grinning in anticipation of it's release, or shaking my head from side to side while speaking out loud with my comments.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 5
  • DC Comics's Batman / Superman: World's Finest Issue # 26d
  • DC Comics's Tim Drake: Robin TPB # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine and the X-Men Issue # 3b