feature requests

Thoughts on Logan ** Possible Spoilers ** (Comic Book Forums)

• Thoughts on Logan ** Possible Spoilers **

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 9, 2017 2:02:35 pm
  • I came to the forums to reply to posts about the new Logan movie but I noticed there is no thread so I will start one. What did everyone think?

I thought it was great. Patrick Stewart should win an Oscar for that performance, I thought he was awesome and I have been following his career since Star Trek TNG.

X-23 was great. Dafne Keen I think her name is. I think this is her first acting role. She looked exactly how I would have imagined X-23 if she were in the real world.

The only things I didn't like about it was the fact that the "future" didn't seem real to me. It felt like it was still in the present for the most part except for the Rigs driving down the highway by themselves and Logan's futuristic limo.

I was really hoping they would show flashbacks of how they got to that point. I'm hoping they do a prequel but it doesn't sound like that's in the cards.

Some questions/beefs I have:
    1) How does Wolverine get his adamantium claws back after he lost them in his last solo movie? Did the events of DOFP erase that movie too? If so, how does Wolverine still have the Samurai sword?
    2) What mutants does Xavier kill?
    3) If Xavier's brain is so powerful, how could it ever get Dementia? And he looks way older than in the 2023 in DOFP and he's been through years of war.
    4) Why use Caliban again since the character was used in the last movie? There are a million different mutants in the comics. Or make up a new one.
    5) How does Wolverine lose his healing factor?

I better stop, I'm sounding like a fanboy here.....lol.
  • Posted: March 10, 2017 2:08:25 am
  • Saw Logan with the family last weekend and LOVED it. One of the best comic book movies I have seen (top five for sure, maybe higher) and very highly recommended.

I'm not sure if Patrick Stewart should win for supporting actor but he should definitely be nominated and so should Hugh Jackman for best actor. It's about time a comic book film got some respect from the Academy.

You are right about X-23, she was awesome. I had no problems with Caliban, however and thought Donald Pierce was really done well too. I liked him much better than I ever did in the comics. I wish we had seen a few flashbacks of some of the other X-Men but it was fine as it was.

What I hate is what Fox has done with the X-Universe timeline. I enjoyed this movie immensely for what it was but one of the things I love most about Marvel is what Stan and Jack and Steve started back in the early 60's with a shared universe, like the MCU certainly is. The timeline here is so screwed up I doubt even a Crisis on Infinite X-Movies can repair the damage. Consider this question alone: What to do about the Wolverine character in any X-films going forward. Do they find an actor to replace Jackman? Use X-23, something that would clearly violate the timeline they have established with her now showing up until 2029? Leave Wolverine out of the film? And if so, how do they explain that? No long term vision. Just pack it in and make a deal like Sony to allow these characters into the MCU, please!!

And kewilson, I would like to take a stab at answering two of your questions.
    3) I do not believe that the power of a brain has anything to do with whether or not it could go through dementia. Bruce Wayne keeps himself in unbelievable physical condition, at least in most incarnations of the Dark Knight, but if Bruce lived into his 90's he would certainly run the risk of having arthritis or other such conditions. I had no problem with it.
    5) I attributed Logan's healing power fading due to his age (the body does deteriorate over time, even slowly) and the amount of strain that is constantly being put on it by all the adamantium in his body.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: March 10, 2017 7:34:06 am
  • Yes, those answers to my questions make good sense.

And I agree, the timeline is totally messed for the X-Men universe. Not so much for the younger characters that started in First Class though. I have a feeling we aren't going to be seeing Wolverine for a while. They will continue on with the "Essex Corp" plot we saw at the end of Apocalypse and continue on with the "younger" X-Men storyline for another movie or two before we see a full re-boot which re-casts Wolverine. I'm also assuming the next movie will deal with the Dark Phoenix with Mr. Sinister trying to take it's powe My friend had a good thought because this would be the perfect time for Marvel to buy back the rights and THEN re-cast Wolverine.

I'm also assuming that yes, if they want to continue the 2029 storyline, X-23 and her friends will form the New Mutants and try to carry on where the X-Men left off.
  • Posted: March 10, 2017 9:46:39 am
  • I think we may not be seeing an X-Men movie for a long time. From what we've been hearing the next few Fox films will be focused on other mutants like Deadpool, Cable, Gambit, and X-Force. If Fox ever comes into an agreement with Marvel/Disney we'd most likely see the entire X-verse rebooted.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 12, 2017 3:12:28 pm
  • Loved the movie. In my top 5 superhero movies for sure. Might even go higher with a rewatch.
  • Posted: March 13, 2017 5:01:18 pm
  • Good movie. Too bad they didn't have the foresight to think of making the previous films R rated and really making it for adults. I doubt making Origins "R" rated would have saved the story but at least we would have had fight scenes more in line with the comics.

At the very least; Jackman's last portrayal of Wolverine goes out with a bang.
  • Posted: March 17, 2017 12:55:59 am
  • I went and watched it again tonight. Such a great film. Kewilson to answer your question about how did Logan lose his healing factor? I think the adamantium over time poisoned his body. Several references in the movie brought up how he was sick. I got the idea that the metal had properties that perhaps weren't completely transparent to all. Sort of like how mercury and lead are toxic to our own bodies, but at one time we were using lead for our water pipes. And there has been evidence that the mercury used in tooth fillings can seep into our blood stream and make us sick. Since Wolverine's entire skeleton was laced with adamantium, maybe over time it was releasing something into his own blood stream. Metals do degrade and he had been alive for such a long time. The healing factor was never part of Weapon X project. That was one of the attributes of him being a mutant. My theory is that the adamantium was decaying and releasing something into his body that over time affected his mutant genetic DNA/structure.

Last edited March 17, 2017 12:56:20 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Black Widow and Hawkeye Issue # 2e
  • DC Comics's Crisis on Infinite Earths Issue # 7fan expo-c
  • Image Comics's Kill Your Darlings Issue # 8
  • Maritsa Patrinos's Working Cats Issue # 2