feature requests

Rumour: X Men might be licensed out to MCU (Comic Book Forums)

• Rumour: X-Men might be licensed out to MCU

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 26, 2016 6:40:32 pm
  • https://www.yahoo.com/news/x-men-movies-rumor-180502331.html

We are all about this X-Men movie rumor

The first X-Men movie was a total game-changer, paving the way for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and for superhero franchises to come. Yet, as any casual comic book/comic book film fan knows, the original X-Men are Marvel characters. Thanks to the same licensing weirdness that brought Spider-Man to Sony, we’ve ended up with some truly bizarre X-Men/Marvel movie non-crossovers (remember the two Quicksilvers?). But thanks to Marvel and Sony’s success in bringing Spidey into the MCU in Captain America: Civil War, it looks like the same kind of deal miiight be in the works with the X-Men.

According to Matt Key, who’s a producer on cult director Kevin Smith’s Fatman on Batman podcast, the buzz in the superhero film biz is that 20th Century Fox, which technically “owns” all the movie rights to the X-Men and even the use of mutants, saw the Marvel/Sony deal and wanted in: “I’ve heard from a few of my sources, my little birds that Fox and Marvel have… kind of talked, but not really, but like there’s interest from Fox, like, ‘Ooh, y’know, what they did with Sony and Spider-Man is actually pretty cool, like, maybe…’ We’re years away from that ever possibly happening… but I think that’s what it would take… Fox joining hands with Marvel…” While that’s far from a confirmation, just remember: The Sony/Marvel Spider-Man deal started as a rumor too.

For superhero film fans, this would be HUGE. The X-Men aren’t just famous characters within their own headlining storylines; they pop in and out of other Marvel stories, including the Civil War arc. (In fact, some of them take sides in the new Civil War. Also, comic storylines are ridiculous.) Their absence hasn’t necessarily detracted from the MCU, because those films have been meticulous about avoiding the X-Men. But to comics fans, the Fox/Marvel split feels a little bit like if The Beatles did a reunion tour and Paul McCartney just decided not to show up.

Of course, not all of these rumors are truth; after all, there were similar rumblings that Marvel was going to partner with Fox on Fantastic Four, and that ended up being false. But with X-Men: Apocalypse underperforming at the box office and with critics, it’s easy to believe that Fox is looking for something to shake their formula up. And if that means partnering with Marvel, which wrote the script for both formula-making and formula-busting within the superhero genre, then filmgoers, comics fans, and Fox alike might have a lot to be excited about.

I hope it's true because I would like to see what MCU will do with the X-Men. Very Happy
  • Posted: June 27, 2016 2:14:08 am
  • Despite the fact this makes total sense from a comic book world view perspective I really believe the only thing that could propel this forward is what is happening at the box office. I have no doubt that Fox would like nothing better than to stick it to Disney/Marvel and make billions on the FF and the X properties, despite the total lack of support Marvel is giving them, but reality is the FF film franchise is deader than Dracula and if the remaining X Franchises don't do as well as expected eventually they will start to feel it where it counts. If this happens, one day common sense (meaning their bottom line) will prevail and they will cut a deal like Sony did. This will not happen because its the right thing to do or they give a flying fig about the fans, but because they understand it is better to make money then to not make money. I hope the rumors prove true, Mr. Han, because if this ever does come true it's going to be EPIC!!!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 27, 2016 1:17:07 pm
  • Gotta agree with Tenzil, it's going to be a business decision, pure and simple. I'd love to see it though, so Marvel could finally stop trying to make the Inhumans something.
  • Posted: June 29, 2016 12:58:52 am
  • I'm going to have to agree with Tenzil as well. When it comes to the movie franchises, it's ALWAYS about the money. They care not what die-hard fans think or care. But, it sure would be nice to see a giant epic Marvel movie with everyone included (Avengers, FF, X-Men, Daredevil and all the rest).
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Adventures of Supergirl Issue # 3
  • DC Comics's Harley Quinn Issue # 38e
  • AC's Mechanical Dead Issue # 4
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths: Trouble in Tijuana TPB # 1b