feature requests

Signatures (Comic Book Forums)

• Signatures

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 27, 2019 12:34:12 pm
  • How do signatures and CoAs impact value? I went through the sticky posts about grading and couldn't find anything. Thanks
  • Posted: June 28, 2019 7:28:05 pm
  • From what I have seen mostly, signatures will add value to a comic. The more popular the artist/writer, the bigger the gain. Let's use Stan Lee for an example. After his passing, there was a surge in both buying and selling of any items signed by Lee. Whatever is out there now is it. There will be no more signed Stan Lee items, except for what has already been done. On the average, a Stan Lee signed book can put at least another $200 in value to a book, at least in terms of what people are selling them for, and people are paying.

The rarity of the signature will come in to play, as well as what the signature is on. A key issue would certainly draw more value than something that is not.

COA's are definitely good to have. This could be a discussion in and of itself. Some collectors are picky, and want to have the COA as proof that it is a legit signature. Some grading services have to witness the actual signature, to prove it is legit as well. A lot of people have signatures gotten at conventions with no COA, but may include flyers of the event, and photographs of the person signing the item.

That is just scraping the surface a little for you. Hope it helps!
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: June 29, 2019 4:40:43 am
  • I appreciate the info. Not that I would part with them, but it is good to know. I have two, and my dad has my third, but his was signed in an elevator at a comic book show back in the late 70s.
  • Posted: June 29, 2019 8:13:36 am
  • Yeah back in the day, there were no COAs around (or little to none). So there are a ton of signed things that you would have no idea if the signature was authentic or not. You could always find one that has been authenticated and compare the signatures, in that case. Also, there are authenticating services that would check to see if the signature was legit as well. That type of service is not cheap though.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: June 29, 2019 3:34:19 pm
  • Condition of the item signed can have an impact on value as well. Some people are not willing to buy or pay extra for signed items if they are in sub standard shape.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 10
  • Marvel Comics's Jackpot and Black Cat Issue # 1b
  • DC Comics's Sinister Sons Issue # 1f
  • Ablaze Media's Traveling to Mars Issue # 11f