feature requests

Daredevil #43 (Comic Book Forums)

• Daredevil #43

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 4, 2019 10:01:03 am
  • Would love to hear peoples input. Very happy that I added this book to my collection whatever condition it may be!

The bottom left corner has what appears to be a water stain that unfortunately goes through the whole book and the back cover has a small tear on the top. The spine is pretty decent though for being 50 years old. Sorry if the pics are small, this is my first attempt posting pics on here and not quite sure what I'm doing yet.

• Posted: January 4, 2019 3:00:45 pm
  • Well, you already know that I am a big DD superfan as well. This is one book that I do not have, and still would like, so I am a little jelly haha.
    First off, nice purchase regardless of any grade given. It is an iconic cover for one, and it still has major eye appeal, despite the age.
    That photo of the interior page looks so good. Aside from the water staining, you can tell it was kept well.
    So with the water stain that goes through the book, adding on the minor corner blunts, dings, bitty tear on the back cover and spine cracks...I am leaning to VG/F 5.0...quite possibly a Fine minus 5.5. I am just not sure how strict a grading service would account for the water stain.
    Anyway you go, NICE BOOK! Again, major eye appeal despite any hidden/apparent flaws.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: January 4, 2019 3:35:46 pm
  • Spector said:
    Well, you already know that I am a big DD superfan as well. This is one book that I do not have, and still would like, so I am a little jelly haha.
    First off, nice purchase regardless of any grade given. It is an iconic cover for one, and it still has major eye appeal, despite the age.
    That photo of the interior page looks so good. Aside from the water staining, you can tell it was kept well.
    So with the water stain that goes through the book, adding on the minor corner blunts, dings, bitty tear on the back cover and spine cracks...I am leaning to VG/F 5.0...quite possibly a Fine minus 5.5. I am just not sure how strict a grading service would account for the water stain.
    Anyway you go, NICE BOOK! Again, major eye appeal despite any hidden/apparent flaws.
    Thanks for the feedback Spector, I always appreciate your opinion! Yeah, unfortunately I think the water stain brings it down quite a bit.
  • Posted: January 4, 2019 4:25:20 pm
  • The water staining throughout the book really effects the grade. Not knowing if there’s any type of odor or musty smell, and no pics of the centerspread to see how well the staples are, I’d probably would give it a grade of 4.0 but I’ve been known to be a tough grader at times and would rather err on the conservative side.
  • Posted: January 4, 2019 4:46:54 pm
  • You can always use our grade calculator up at the top** there...if you are honest in answering the questions it should pop out grade that's fairly close...maybe use that to cross check member answers from here...

**next to the search bar click the "grade" button.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Captain Marvel: Braver & Mightier #1 Ebay Exclusive
    Iron Man American Welding Promo #1: 2nd print
    Swamp Thing Giant #1: Walmart Exclusive
    Old Lady Harley #5: Geriatric Joker
    Avengers Assemble ft. Captain Citrus Promo
    Superman Adventures #1 Doritos Promo
  • Posted: January 5, 2019 3:18:33 am
  • First of all, let me echo what Spector said - great find! Iconic cover and overall it has great eye appeal. Despite its age I would give it a solid 5.5 grade if not for the water stain. Unfortunately it is there and it is real, which lowers the grade to most likely a 2.5. Still, having said that, I would be pleased to have it in my collection!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: January 6, 2019 8:31:18 pm
  • I agree with Tenzil assesment. Nice book but that stain really brings down the grade. 2.5
  • Posted: January 7, 2019 7:53:37 pm
  • Are water stains usually frowned upon more than other flaws? Remember this is a small one in one corner, the whole book wasn’t affected. I appreciate people’s assessments and I’m not trying to argue but I feel like a 2.5 is a little low. If you look at any CGC 2.5 graded book on eBay they look terrible. The edges are torn, tattered, they look like they’ve been put in a paper shredder and then you realized you didn’t want to shred that and pulled it back out. I used the grading tool on here and entered everything as the highest except Step 36 which pertains to water damage and it made it a 3.5 which kind of supports the theory that water stains do drop the grade considerably. But the pic/icon shows the whole book as stained and warped so I’m curious as to how stains are measured that’s all. Again, thank you for your grades and checking out my book. I’m not butthurt just trying to understand more that’s all Smile
  • Posted: January 7, 2019 8:16:12 pm
  • One idea is to check with a grading company/site, to see where water stains fall within their grading system. You can join CGC for free, and have access to the multitude of forums they have. They literally have thousands of discussions on just about everything, and I think it is a safe bet to say that water staining as it pertains to grading has been covered at least once.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: January 8, 2019 1:48:28 am
  • MacheteF7: Like probably almost everyone else here I am the furthest thing from a comic grading expert you will ever find. I rely a little on being an avid collector for many years, and primarily I rely on the grading tool I found courtesy of some good people on this website. Putting what I could see of your book's condition through the criterion on that tool spit out the score of 2.5. I removed the stain from my grading and it was a solid 5.5. Would CGC or any of the other grading companies come up with the same score? I have no idea. The only time I had books graded, many years ago now, I totally disagreed with every grade they gave me, but when I called them on it they apologized, but said they had a glitch that caused them to lose all the notes on my books. I'm not sure if that helps you out or not, but like I said, I'd love to have that comic, stain or no stain!
    Tenzil
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 50 years, 309 days, 22 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Chix Comix's Cardcaptor Sakura Issue # 15
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Magical Girl Site Soft Cover # 8
  • Bongo Comics's Mylo Xyloto Comics Issue # 1sdcc
  • Kodansha Comics's That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime Soft Cover # 9