feature requests

Fantastic Four #36 (Comic Book Forums)

• Fantastic Four #36

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 6, 2018 7:11:36 pm
  • Need a few opinions.
    I'm heavily leaning towards 8.0-8.5 but the writing on the back is my major sticking point. Not sure how that affects grade.
    Pages are white, colors are vivid.
    Thinking about having it slabbed.

• Posted: September 6, 2018 9:42:30 pm
  • Ok, I will take a stab at it. I looked at this as if it were a book in my own collection, thus I grade more conservatively. If ever I am in conflict between +/- a grade, I sometimes sit on it a day, and then come back to it with fresh eyes (and mind). Personally, if it were my book I would be leaning to an 8.0, possibly a 7.5 due to the corners, top of cover, browning on back and writing. But that is only me. I am sure you will get more looks and opinions that may gravely differ.
    Either way, it is a sweet book, and an early FF. I don't know how harsh they would grade just on the things listed, but slabbing still may be worth it.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: September 7, 2018 9:46:14 am
  • Thanks for the look. Smile

"I don't know how harsh they would grade just on the things listed, but slabbing still may be worth it."

That was one of my problems too. From what i've heard CCG grades older books with a little more leeway when it's just minor problems. I was favoring 8.0...but that writing still has me wondering if it will drop the grade if at all. I've seen some CCG books get pretty high with writing.
  • Posted: September 7, 2018 11:16:39 am
  • Like Mr. Spector says, that is a sweet book! The colors on that beautiful cover just pop, and if the pages are white too that is, if you'll pardon the pun, Fantastic!
    I put it through the grading tool and came up with two results, depending on how they judge the rounding at the bottom of the spine. At one level the grade comes back as a 8.0 and at the next level it is a 6.5. I have not researched the value of this comic, though I am sure it is quite valuable, so in my far from professional estimation it is probably worth having slabbed if you want to maximize your sale potential.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 7, 2018 7:09:22 pm
  • Nice to know on the leeway on the older books that are graded at CGC. I have a bunch that I may reconsider later on. My personal gem I need to get in is Journey into Mystery #86. I was being super conservative with an 8.5 (white pages too), but this may possibly go to a 9.0 or better if they give a little slack.
    So super thanks on that tid bit!
  • Posted: September 8, 2018 1:48:37 am
  • Yeah. This is an example of what i'm talking about. At 8.5 these books have just about the same flaws (and actually a few more) as mine on the cover (missing color/spine/rounded corners, 2nd book brown staining on the back).
    These are listed on eBay.

This one actually had a front and back in the listing.
  • Posted: September 8, 2018 10:56:02 am
  • That certainly gives a much broader comparison. Definitely makes me rethink my initial reply and go towards an 8.0 or better now. It does make me hopeful for any potential silver age submissions that I may have not yet considered.
  • Posted: September 8, 2018 7:12:52 pm
  • It seems they take into account the age of the book into greater consideration now.
  • Posted: September 9, 2018 10:22:44 am
  • CGC does grade differently for older books. A 2015 comic book at 8.5 would be a 9.2 if it came out in 1971. That being said, I would give your lovely Fantastic Four a 7.0. If you do get it graded please show us on the Forum. Thanks.
  • Posted: September 10, 2018 2:28:35 am
  • It's on my list of things to do. I'll be sure to share.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Oni Press's Cemetery Kids Don't Die Issue # 2
  • Image Comics's Killadelphia Issue # 34
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Previews Issue # 31
  • Marvel Comics's Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace  Issue # 1b