feature requests

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (Comic Book Forums)

• Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 18, 2017 4:25:03 pm
  • It seems that the grading standards for modern comics are much harsher than their Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age counterparts. From a quick review of the Facebook pictures you linked to, I would be hard-pressed to grade yours above an 8.0 from my point of view. Although I've seen graded modern books with a similar creased corner as the one yours has at the back cover's upper left corner get a 9.0, the additional color-breaking spine stress lines and other general wear were not present on those books. However, I am not a professional grader so I could easily be off by a grade or more.

Last edited March 18, 2017 4:26:06 pm
  • Posted: March 19, 2017 11:37:29 am
  • The Bobarian said:
    It seems that the grading standards for modern comics are much harsher than their Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age counterparts.

And that's why the CGC grading system is flawed.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 20, 2017 1:55:27 pm
  • ^^ I agree. I've seen graded books that look nowhere near what is stated on the slab. If they hired me I would be just as harsh on GA, SA, and BA books. Laughing

I understand that there are a lot less copies of high grade older books but there should be some sort of consistency. A lot of them don't deserve the grade they received.
  • Posted: March 21, 2017 3:30:15 am
  • Agreed. A grade is a grade is a grade. If they want to be more "gentle" on books that are more rare keep the grades as they deserve to be and just up the value of older books. For example a modern comic that came out last year and is graded at 6.5 is worth, say, 50% of the same book in 9.4 (I'm just pulling numbers out of air to make a point to don't go quoting me on these!). If you have an early silver age book, say issue #3 of the Amazing Spider-Man, maybe a 6.5 grade is worth 80% of the 9.4 grade, something like that. But that should not affect the grade the book receives.
    Tenzil
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable & Deadpool Issue # 25
  • Marvel Comics's Gambit Issue # 5
  • Marvel Comics's Superior Spider-Man Issue # 5b
  • Dancing Rock Press's The Big Trucker Issue nn