feature requests

Dark Knight Returns #1 "First Print"? (Comic Book Forums)

• Dark Knight Returns #1 "First Print"?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 29, 2015 9:55:10 pm
  • Hi, I just received in the mail Dark Knight Returns #1 F/VF advertised as "First Printing" that I won from an eBay auction a few days ago. For those who have 2nd or 3rd printings of Batman Dark Returns #1, where would the words "2nd Printing" or "3rd Printing" be printed in the interior cover? The front interior cover of the comic book I just received has some weird markings that looks like blacker paint brush markings or elmer glue markings in parts of the front interior cover. Also, under the words "A Warner Communications Company" and its corporate W logo, it looks like some black marker pen marking as if the previous owner was crossing out that the book is a reprint instead of an actual first print. I have legitimate first print of the latter three Batman DKR issues. So I don't know where it would say 2nd or 3rd Reprint for reprints of DKR issues. This how it looks like.

I would like to know what your opinions are? Thanks.

This is a good example that if you want to buy a key comic book issue from a comic book dealer you should buy ones that are graded and slabbed by a professional third party grader such as CBCS or CGC so you know it wasn't restored or trimmed.

Last edited September 29, 2015 10:14:52 pm
  • Posted: September 29, 2015 11:21:06 pm
  • Hey DarkClaws, I actually have the Third Printing of this comic. Dug it out and had a look at it for you, and it has "Third Printing" printed right beneath "A Warner Communications Company" and it's corporate W logo. Looks like whomever you bought this from on eBay, crossed out Second or Third Printing with a black marker to try and pass it off as a First Printing. Below is a picture of the indices for the Third Printing.

• Posted: September 29, 2015 11:50:05 pm
  • Thank you very much, Vengeance! You have been of great help to me! I don't plan on returning it The sale wasn't a huge loss for me and I've bought a lot of good comic books from this eBay seller many times before. I don't think it was the eBay seller because he auctions off hundreds of comics every week many of which are sold on consignment for the original owners. That is whom I suspect. But lesson learned for me. Only buy key comic book issues that are graded and slabbed by legitimate 3rd party graders such as CBCS or CGC so I know it wasn't amateurishly restored or trimmed.
  • Posted: September 30, 2015 7:29:18 am
  • Hi DarkClaws, I think you should still inform your seller as this could have an impact on his standing should something like this happen to a less understanding person than yourself.

That is the risk that any of us face when buying on-line even from a reputable seller. I still wouldn't buy slabbed books though . . . the additional premium (unless its a REALLY special book) wouldn't justify it and I believe in reading my comics at least once and having the option to page through it whenever I want is important to me.

Unless I had a duplicate unslabbed comic, my fingers would seriously itch to read it! Brick wall
  • Posted: September 30, 2015 11:36:55 am
  • DarkClaws said:
    Thank you very much, Vengeance! You have been of great help to me! I don't plan on returning it The sale wasn't a huge loss for me and I've bought a lot of good comic books from this eBay seller many times before. I don't think it was the eBay seller because he auctions off hundreds of comics every week many of which are sold on consignment for the original owners. That is whom I suspect. But lesson learned for me. Only buy key comic book issues that are graded and slabbed by legitimate 3rd party graders such as CBCS or CGC so I know it wasn't amateurishly restored or trimmed.

That is not "amateurishly restored or trimmed". THAT is amateurishly fraudulent!
    Visit Still Only 35 Cents at https://www.ebay.com/usr/stillonly35cents!
    Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stillonly35cents/
  • Posted: September 30, 2015 10:02:05 pm
  • Evening everyone. I just initiated a return with eBay and the seller has a 30 Day Hassle Free return in their auctions. So hopefully it will be good to go. I changed my mind because if I send this comic book to get it slabbed with CBCS for my heirs (my two nephews) to resell in the future, CBCS might not grade it or give it an NG - "No Grade" because of the crossed out marking indicating fraud.

I can't resell it on eBay because the buyer will cry fraud like I did. The one used bookstore chain that buys comics books from customers will buy it from me for probably at most $5 and the same goes for the two other comic book stores in my home city that buys from customers. Most comic book stores in my home city don't buy comic books from their customers.

I really wanted this Dark Knight Returns #1 1st Print to complete my other three other Batman DKR issues 1st Prints. I also bought a lot of silver age comics books from this comic dealer in the past.
  • Posted: November 22, 2015 11:00:48 pm
  • Hi I just saw your post and wanted you to know I just came across the Dark Knight issues 1-4 in my closet, mint condition and first printing according to your criteria. I'm not a comic book expert but want to get fair value for this set. Let me know what you think the set is worth and if anyone is interested.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Alan Scott: The Green Lantern Issue # 5d
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Comics Presents Issue # 167
  • Image Comics's Monstress Issue # 50c
  • Pronto Comics's The Narcisist Issue # 1