feature requests

Amazing Spider Man #700 (Comic Book Forums)

• Amazing Spider-Man #700

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 5, 2015 7:08:23 pm
  • I just got back my first CGC Sig Series Submission, And am entirely bummed by the grade of a 9.2.

I feel like the comic I sent in was a solid 9.6 at the very minimum, With only just perceptible damage to the spine corners (Likely factory caused).

But it came back with those same corners further damaged/frayed.
    AND
    Graders notes indicate: "Right Center Front Cover Bend"
    Which I don't at all recall being there, And upon inspection (In the right lighting, at the right angle) it looks more like a warp or lift at the edge, That would actually straighten out if pressed.
    A very light straight line indentation at the most.

My questions are:
    Does CGC take any responsibility for damage?
    And does what I described really degrade it that bad???

There is no other damage, Not even a single stress line on the spine.

Pics being uploaded.

- JDB
  • Posted: August 6, 2015 12:03:30 am

It was very difficult to photograph the "Bend" at the edge considering how minor it is.
    Does this really justify a 9.2? Or did I get a harsh/crappy grader?

- JDB

Last edited August 6, 2015 12:07:20 am
  • Posted: August 6, 2015 2:05:02 am
  • That bend is definitely imperceptable and shouldn't affect the value of the comic at all IMO. The corners, I'm not too sure of though. All in all, your comic looks to be in great condition.

Personally, I've never [and probably won't ever] submit anything to CGC, but from what I've read it seems to be a bit like a "lucky packet" . . . you're never quite sure of what you'll get.

Have you ever submitted anything to CGC and got a grade higher than expected?
  • Posted: August 6, 2015 2:39:47 am
  • This is my first submission.
    And yea... Like I said, Those corners weren't so frayed and noticeable when I sent it in (The lower one does look better than how the photo/lighting presents it though).

- JDB
  • Posted: August 6, 2015 7:30:49 am
  • Only thing you can do is to take pictures before from every angle. Then take pictures of how it looked going into the mail (i.e. did you bag/board it? did you bubble wrap it, etc).
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: August 7, 2015 12:56:50 pm
  • Yes, something may have happened during shipping, so you can't blame the handlers @ CGC if you believe the book came back more damaged than what it was before you submitted it.

I just submitted my first 2 books to CBCS. Seeing this post, I should have took scans and pictures of both of them but didn't think of it. I gave them to a comic book dealer to submit for me. He also sent in some of his own books with it so I'm more confident that they got shipped with proper protection. To me, my books look flawless but when the graders go over them they will most likely see issues with them. I'm hoping for at least a 9.0 on both of them but they will probably come back 8.0 or something....

Another thing is, with over-sized books like ASM #700, the top and bottom left corners ALWAYS seem to be "eared", at least my experience, which is very upsetting considering it comes from the factory like that and it goes against the grade. Same with ASM Vol. 3 #1. I always have to pick the best one that I find but the majority of them had that.
  • Posted: August 13, 2015 2:47:13 pm
  • Thanks for all the tips.

Yea, You would think they wouldnt be as harsh about the corners since it's a factory thing. Though mine were more of a micro nick/tear when sent in and came back frayed and worse.

I actually did not send this myself, I paid for and left it with a person working the Stan Lee table.
    I did drop it off in a bag and board.
    The person I left it with denies any damages. I would not have gone that route, But the only way I could get it certified was to use him as he had special agreements at the con.
    Turns out I'm not the only on from ECCC that had complaints about his services.

My standing question though:
    Does it really warrant a 9.2 for the corners and the almost imperceptible far edge damage? I feel like I've seen worse rate a 9.4.

- JDB

Last edited August 13, 2015 2:53:26 pm
  • Posted: August 13, 2015 2:53:30 pm
  • Personally, I don't think it does but that's me. The problem with grading is that it's subjective. I think it depends on which grader you get at these places.

Did you get the grading notes? Maybe they can tell you more information as to why it was graded that way.
  • Posted: October 16, 2015 1:16:54 pm
  • If the book came back in a different condition then sent that does suck and I'm very sorry to hear that but the book as pictured honestly i think a 9.2 is not unreasonable it does have multiple flaws.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman / Superman: World's Finest Issue # 26c
  • DC Comics's Catwoman Issue # 64e
  • Image Comics's Kill Your Darlings Issue # 8b
  • Marvel Comics's War Machine Issue # 9b